Why is JEHOVAH so cruel?

by african GB Member 37 Replies latest jw friends

• VM44
    VM44

Because Jehovah originally was the Storm God of the Canaanites!

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

It also begs the question whether a person left the witnesses or they actually left God?

"Begging the question" refers to the fallacious logic of circular reasoning. It is often misused in place of "raises the question".

Since you raised the question, the answer is many have left both JW's and god, no apologies offered. If one believes the JW's have the truth, and no other religion does, the next logical step after not believing in the JW's is to question belief in the Bible and then God as they are both constructs of religious systems of belief.

We have to wonder how we ourselves are so bad that God has to step in? I ask myself are we responsible for the continued suffering of people in places like africa, if we have medication that could help the aids victims and food to feed the starving but leave it to ill-funded charities. are we condemning ourselves by our treatment of ourselves? 4 million abortions a year! greed making petrol the fuel we use destroying our atmosphere when we could change to alternatives but choose not to!

Are we condemned if we finally have the means to make the whole world peaceful and well fed and even healthy in the greater part but choose not to out of greed, hatred and the human condition of imperfection making us unable to help ourselves to a greater good even when language is no longer a barrier and we can reach every part easily?

We could just as easily turn this question around and ask it of God, as so many have. If God has the means to make the whole world peaceful and well fed and healthy and does not, is he to be condemned? Are the many thousands of people who work to better the lives of the suffering right now, more righteous than God?

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

renaiaa

Lol nope (secular educated till 18 then by life afterwards) unless you count being a born-in witness who has seen both sides of the fence and found that the eternal 'Why' still applies whatever you believe whether it be in God and 'why' he would do it or evolution and 'why' survival of fittest brings us to ultimate self-destruction :S

I look at things from a material (for want of a better word) standpoint and the line you are following in this post and the previous one reminded me of the thought that when the concepts/"tools" appear then so will the users.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

But we need to keep on finding, making and modifying concepts and tools in the meantime. It is facinating to look at things from different angles and then compare with our JW thinking and find something at the heart of it that we all have in common but that needs a lot stretching because JWs only allow freedom for one or two types of people but nature calls for unimaginably different sorts.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

reniaa, you still have not told me how the "jehovah" wanted humans to fix these problems when we did not have the "how" centuries ago?

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

mankind was on a hiding to nothing the very minute Adam supposedly sinned, why the 6000 year supposedly long wait? all this going on and on about waiting for mankind to fail FFS! and why does he not say hi a little more , at least to non Christian countries, the whole thing is a sick joke, Yahweh is a sicko.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

It always amazes me how many times this God orders the killing of innocent people even after the Ten Commandments said “Thou shall not kill”. For example, God kills 70,000 innocent people because David ordered a census of the people ( 1 Chronicles 21 ). God also orders the destruction of 60 cities so that the Israelites can live there. He orders the killing of all the men, women, and children of each city, and the looting of all of value ( Deuteronomy 3 ). He orders another attack and the killing of “all the living creatures of the city: men and women, young, and old, as well as oxen sheep, and asses” ( Joshua 6 ). In Judges 21 , He orders the murder of all the people of Jabesh-gilead, except for the virgin girls who were taken to be forcibly raped and married. When they wanted more virgins, God told them to hide alongside the road and when they saw a girl they liked, kidnap her and forcibly rape her and make her your wife! Just about every other page in the Old Testament has God killing somebody! In 2 Kings 10:18-27 , God orders the murder of all the worshipers of a different god in their very own church! In total God kills 371,186 people directly and orders another 1,862,265 people murdered.

The God of the Bible also allows slavery, including selling your own daughter as a sex slave ( Exodus 21:1-11 ), child abuse ( Judges 11:29-40 and Isaiah 13:16 ), and bashing babies against rocks ( Hosea 13:16 & Psalms 137:9 ).

This type of criminal behavior should shock any moral person. Murder, rape, pillage, plunder, slavery, and child abuse can not be justified by saying that some god says it’s OK. If more people would actually sit down and read the Bible there would be a lot more atheists like myself.

Jesus also promoted the idea that all men should castrate themselves to go to heaven: "For there are eunuchs, that were so born from their mother's womb: and there are eunuchs, that were made eunuchs by men: and there are eunuchs, that made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it." ( Matthew 19:12 ASV ) I don't know why anyone would follow the teachings of someone who literally tells all men to cut off their privates.

The God of the Bible also was a big fan of ritual human sacrifice and animal sacrifice.

And just in case you are thinking that the evil and immoral laws of the Old Testament are no longer in effect, perhaps you should read where Jesus makes it perfectly clear: "It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid." (Luke 16:17 NAB) There are many more quotes on this topic at my "Do Not Ignore the Old Testament" web page.

I know that most Christians believe that God is a good and loving god, and wants people to do good things. I believe that most people want to do good things and behave morally. I also believe that many Christians haven’t really read the Bible, or just read certain passages in church. This is understandable, as the Bible is hard to read due to its archaic language and obscure references. Also many priests and preachers don’t like to read certain passages in the Bible because they present a message of hate not love.

And in a short amount of time he's going to whack all the people that do not believe in in him and are not associated with his people the Jehovah's

Witnesses, that should be another few billion people including all babies , children and the elderly.

Now lets all stand up right now and sing song No. # ** " We Thank You Jehovah "

Come on Reniaa that includes you too.

• The Berean
    The Berean

african GB Member:

From Another Direction

I too have wondered about God's cruelty. Why reportedly when he had trouble in heaven with a spiritual son did he cast him down to earth and tell uninvolved flesh and blood: "I can't do anything with him, you straighten him out"? Then supposedly God went on to warn mankind that if they could not conquer this invisible demon and succumbed to sin ... they would have failed to prove to the entire universe their worth and would turn to dust within seventy or eighty years... even though the spirit trouble-maker would be allowed to float about for thousands of years! WEW!

The only thought I came up with is that if i would have not been born and lived lo these 60+ years where would i have been? In a dark hole soomewhere?

So, in my case, even if God is cruel, I was here for a while and had a shot ... which beats the alternative ... and for that I am thankful.

• watson
    watson

According to trinitarians, aren't Jesus and Jehovah the same? Jesus didn't seem so cruel.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Jesus was a cool dude he was really the best part of the bible and thankfully some Christian based faiths follow his example,

the JWS on the other hand are a follower of Jehovah, who's not so cool.

Its easy to perceive Jesus then as a humanitarian and his father as a cruel and vicious and vindictive God.

I'm still pissed off with him for not kicking Satan out of the garden of Eden and persuading little innocent Eve

to bite that apple, after all he supposedly loved mankind and his creation and he was the bigger and more powerful one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit