If you no longer believe why do you still go?

by Quirky1 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Family. I also think it's interesting that most of the people who got up and left straight away in this thread are men. Maybe women find it harder emotionally, maybe they are more financially dependent on their husband or maybe the WBTS "headship" dogma is too deeply entrenched for them?

• Kosonen
    Kosonen

I still go once a week, sometimes twice. I do not see to it in black and white. I do not require all to be white. I think I still get some spirituality from there. But I want also to see how they are changing. And I believe I can do a great deal by praying for them. If my prayers are in harmony with God's will, then according to 1John 2:22; 5:14,15 God will do according to my prayers. First of all I pray before going to the meeting that Jesus as the Head of the congregation would be present directing the speaker and those giving comments by the holy spirit. It has really a real effect. I like it.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    First of all I pray before going to the meeting that Jesus as the Head of the congregation would be present directing the speaker and those giving comments by the holy spirit. It has really a real effect. I like it.

I would be very interested in hearing more about this, if you're willing to provide more details.

-LWT

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

To make them think I am still possibly going back, so they will waste their time and energy deciding whose turn it is to hound me. Then, once I stop altogether, each side thinks it's the other's turn.

As of now, I am not going to waste any time going to the Kingdumb Hell. I would sooner go to the Church of Satan.

• Kosonen
    Kosonen
    First of all I pray before going to the meeting that Jesus as the Head of the congregation would be present directing the speaker and those giving comments by the holy spirit. It has really a real effect. I like it.

I would be very interested in hearing more about this, if you're willing to provide more details.

-LWT

Hi LWT,

When I do that, then the meeting gets much more spiritual. The speakers speak glowing with the spirit. And they say things from their heart. They are unable to speak in a hypocritical way. They say things that are true in which they believe and forget the official society policy. Sometimes they say very contradictory things. Or they even openly critcize old society rules. For example recently speakers have said in their public talks how good it has been to get rid of a meeting per week because it was realy burdensome. The same happens with those giving comments.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I left over the child abuse scandal. I could not in good conscience remain associated in any way with the cult. I decided that anyone who chose to shun me over this was not an asset in my life, but a liability, and I'd be better off without them. It wasn't until later that I learned that their teachings were lies.

W

• The Berean
    The Berean

To Quirky1 and others:

Your question may be the most important one I have read on this site.

Many people who believe they are former JWs still carry the addiction. I too attend meetings periodically. I believe I am still sick.

A couple of weeks ago I ate dinner with a young lady who claims her childhood was stolen by the "cult" and she no longer believes. I asked her if she might be interested in forming a recovery group for former JWs. She told me that such an endeavor would never take off since most former members believe they have alread disconnected. She then began, perhaps unknowingly, distancing herself from me across the table ... defending the organization and even stating at meals end that she might return someday! This is more typical than most of us realize!!!

In my opinon, the organization is an acquired addiction and fills the same need for many as booze, chemicals, food, or sex. What's worse, even among mental health profesionals religious trauma is not considered a long term disease. I suggest that it is. It may be likened to malaria, which comes and goes in season. Surely,we all know former JWs who over time returned to the fold or come and go ... So why?

Because many do not escape an environment that continually beckons "come on, take a dose. it's for your own good." It is important for Witnesses attempting to weane themselves to know that those not taken under the "spell" of this potion cannot understand the severity of the complications from such a Post Traumatic Syndrome and think we should easily "get over it".

My analogy is this. If we are alcoholics and inocently keep visiting the bar, won't we eventually drink! Everyone seated wants us to embibe with them. AA says that if you spend your free time in a barber shop you wil eventually get a haircut. Our periodic association is hazardous!

Quirky1, have you considered that you may still have coerced respect for those in the group? One thing I have noticed about addicts who are legitimatley in recovery ... they distain those still using.

This may sound strong, yet I hope you will examine yourself, as I have had to, in order to be sure you are not still stuck in the past. As long as we feel guilt, responsibility, anger, or obligation we are being controlled, not by our own free will but rather by the selfish wishes of others. How can one be friends withy those who believe they are better than us? Scripture calls it "slaving for two masters."

I did it for fifty years ... I believe I have insight. May I help anyone?

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I have family in... and I want revenge.

B the X

• Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

Simple answer - for the sake of my 7 years old son (wife is still in). If I dont go, dubs in KH will start telling him "daddy is spiritually weak... but dont worry... we will help you to grow in the truth ... we will take you out in service ...and you should get baptized soon ....) So I am there. I expalin him things after the meeting, I have the Bible study with him (BTW, yesterday it was about Rutherford and Beth Sarim, it was very interesting :-)).

Thats my reason why Iam going there. They will not get my son!!!

Albert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit