The Great Crowd are NOT Jehovah Witnesses ?

by Nick! 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nick!
    Nick!

The Great Crowd are NOT Jehovah's Witnesses ?

This is a statement I read recently on a French forum.

According to the statement, when the name “JW” was adopted back in 1931, the GC, as we know it today, was not yet “identified”, and the new name applied solely to the ex “International Bible Students Association”, all anointed members of the FDS.

When later, in 1935 the Great Crowd was identified, they were referred to as “Jonadabs”, not yet as Jehovah’s Witnesses.

I have been in the “Truth” for over 60 years, but it is the first time I hear about that assumption.

Can anyone of you confirm or infirm this statement?
    If it can be confirmed, when the GC has become part of the JW? And, very importantly, where do we find these “facts” in the WT publications?

Thanks.

Nick!

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Yup, it's true. I was surprised too. I'll be back later with some references ... unless someone beats me to it.

• sacolton
    sacolton

I just stumbled across this fact while researching a topic in another thread. But yes, it is true: Jehovah's Witnesses are NOT really Jehovah's Witnesses! How is this so?

First it is important to understand why the Watchtower Society calls their followers "Jehovah's Witnesses". The average JW will tell you that this is because Isaiah 43:10 is speaking about them when it says:

Isaiah 43:10, NWT
    “YOU are my witnesses,” is the utterance of Jehovah, “even my servant whom I have chosen, in order that YOU may know and have faith in me, and that YOU may understand that I am the same One.

It was the second president of the Watchtower Society, Joseph Rutherford who in 1931, unilaterally decided that because of this Bible passage, the "International Bible Students" should be renamed to the "Jehovah's Witnesses."

But here is the problem that most JW's are totally unaware of: The Watchtower Society has always taught that this passage applies to what they refer to as "spiritual Israel", or the "Israel of God", as shown below:

*** w98 2/1 p. 17 Greater Blessings Through the New Covenant ***

16 Israel not only was a kingdom but also had an anointed priesthood. In 33 C.E., the Israel of God replaced fleshly Israel and became Jehovah’s “servant,” his “witnesses.” (Isaiah 43:10) Jehovah’s words to Israel recorded at Isaiah 43:21 and Exodus 19:5, 6 henceforth applied to the spiritual Israel of God. God’s new spiritual nation was now “a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for special possession,” responsible for ‘declaring abroad Jehovah’s excellencies.’ (1 Peter 2:9) All in the Israel of God, men and women, form a collective priesthood. (Galatians 3:28, 29) As the subsidiary part of the seed of Abraham, they now say: “Be glad, you nations, with his people.” (Deuteronomy 32:43) Those of spiritual Israel still remaining on earth make up “the faithful and discreet slave.” (Matthew 24:45-47) Only in association with them can acceptable sacred service be rendered to God.

*** w75 1/15 p. 46 How Are Christians Spiritually Fed? ***

The Christian congregation was made up of the people who walked orderly by that rule regarding a “new creation.” As a united congregation it thus was God’s “servant,” just as Israel of old had been. Therefore, the passage at Isaiah 43:10 could be directed in a spiritual way to the congregation as the “Israel of God”: “‘You are my witnesses,’ is the utterance of Jehovah, ‘even my servant.’”

*** w64 2/15 p. 114 Part Two ***

Hence God’s name Jehovah is called upon the Gentile Christians as well as the natural-born Jewish Christians, and for this reason Isaiah 43:10-12 is directed to Gentile Christians who belong to spiritual Israel as well as to Jews who are converted to discipleship of Jesus Christ.

But who is "spiritual Israel"? As anyone who has studied the JW religion knows, this term refers ONLY to the "anointed" class (also known as the "John class", the "Jehu class", or simply the "144,000").

*** re chap. 19 p. 118 Sealing the Israel of God ***

The Israel of God Today

14 Interestingly, the first president of the Watch Tower Society, Charles T. Russell, recognized the 144,000 to be a literal number of individuals making up a spiritual Israel. In The New Creation, Volume VI of his Studies in the Scriptures, published in 1904, he wrote: “We have every reason to believe that the definite, fixed number of the elect [chosen anointed ones] is that several times stated in Revelation (7:4; 14:1); namely, 144,000 ‘redeemed from amongst men.’” In Light, Book One, published in 1930 by the Watch Tower Society’s second president, J. F. Rutherford, it was likewise stated: “The 144,000 members of the body of Christ are thus in the assembly shown as selected and anointed, or sealed.” Jehovah’s Witnesses have consistently held to the view that literally 144,000 anointed Christians make up spiritual Israel.

So what does this mean for the 6 million members of the Watchtower organization today who proudly call themselves "Jehovah's Witnesses"? The unfortunate truth is that according to their own leaders, their namesake which they are so proud of does not belong to them. They have all been lied to, in that they are told at the Kingdom Hall that they are "Jehovah's Witnesses", but the official Watchtower documentation clearly says that they are NOT. At best, they can only hope to be spared at Armageddon by "closely associating" with the 144,000 REAL Jehovah's Witnesses, of which there are only 8,000 left on earth!

So if you come across a JW who tries to explain why they are called "Jehovah's Witnesses", simply ask them if they are a member of fleshly Israel. If they say no, then ask them if they are of the "anointed". If they say no again, then guess what? They are NOT one of Jehovah's witnesses!

From the 1939 "SALVATION" book:

When Jonadab answered that he was of the same heart or motive as moved Jehu to take righteous action against the religionists, Jehu gave Jonadab his hand and took him up into his chariot, and thereby pictured that the Lord Jesus offers protection to the Jonadabs and invites them to seek that protection in or under his organization, the chariot being a picture of the Lord's organization. Jonadab was taken up into the chariot with Jehu and rode with him, and this shows that Jonadab becomes a companion of and walks with the anointed followers of Christ Jesus, the remnant, Jehovah's witnesses now on the earth. In inviting Jonadab to go with him Jehu said to Jonadab: "Come . . . and see my zeal for the LORD." That meant that Jehu was energetic and enthusiastic in rendering service at the command of the Lord, and he invited Jonadab to show a like zeal; and this shows that the Jonadabs must have and exhibit energy and enthusiasm in their devotion and service to God and his King and kingdom. Concerning the Lord Jesus it is written: "For the zeal of thine house hath eaten me up; and the reproaches of them that reproached thee are fallen upon me." — Psalm 69: 9.

The Jonadabs must have and exercise the same faith and obedience as that required and exhibited by the "elect" "servant" class, the "little flock". (Isaiah 42:1) For this reason it is now seen that the anointed remnant, that is, the little flock on the earth who are Jehovah's witnesses, and those who form the company known as the Jonadabs must become and have become companions in service, and they go on together in peace and in harmony, serving God and his kingdom. (Psalm 122) Wherever the name Jonadab appears in the Scriptures it may now be read as referring to those men and women on the earth who are of good will toward God and who are seeking the way to serve God and his King and kingdom.
    As I have already said, according to the Watchtower Society, the Jehu class are the REAL Jehovah's Witnesses (the 144,000). Their associates, known as the Jonadab class gain salvation by associating closely with the Jehu class. However, they are not "witnesses" spoken of at Isaiah 43:10-12. Thus, 99.99% of Jehovah's Witnesses ARE NOT Jehovah's Witnesses!
  • passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

This is exactly the same as the WTS deciding that only anointed Witnesses are Christians. So by their own reckoning there are around 10,000 Christians on the planet. Good luck.

• besty
    besty

and most of that 10k are not 'genuine anointed'

Jesus is doing a poor job - more people have read my blog in the last 6 months :-)

• sacolton
    sacolton

What are you sticking in your mouth, besty?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Very interesting,,,i have never heard of a "new truth" that the Jonadabs were to be included as Jehovah's Witnesses. I wonder if instead the terms were gradually intermingled so that the members of the congregation gradually picked it up?

This is comparatively modern from 1985 but shows that JW's certainly now include the "Great Crowd"

w85 10/15 p. 31 Questions From Readers

Do those of the "great crowd" become part of Jehovah’s universal organization?

Now, prior to the "great tribulation," all of Jehovah’s Witnesses happily serve God in unity. (Matthew 24:21) There is no division over the fact that a small number are spirit anointed and look forward to going to heaven, while the majority have the hope of eternal life in an earthly paradise. As Jesus indicated, both the "sheep" and the "other sheep" become united in "one flock." (John 10:11, 16) Thus, Jehovah’s present organization of servants is made up of those from both groups, with both destinies.
  • garybuss
    garybuss

The Great Crowd are NOT Jehovah Witnesses ?

That's true. Also . . . the great crowd are spiritual Gentiles and there's no command for Gentiles to preach. And . . . a member of the "other sheep" can't preach at a meeting if there is a member of the anointed present.

• Mastodon
    Mastodon

Jehovah's Witnesses? nope, there's nothing 'great' about that 'crowd'... :)

• Nick!
    Nick!

Excellent dissertation Sacoton!

I do remember pretty well, at the beginning of the fifties the old man, who was an anointed, who came home to study with us kids, and who taught us all these fabulous “prophetic figures” one of which was actually the Jonadabs.
    I learned very early the significance, that is to say, that they represented the FDS, but NEVER did I realize that they referred, at that time, exclusively to the rest of the anointed ones still alive in 1935, excluding the FDS.

I do remember, and I taught it as an elder, that the “witnesses” mentioned in Isaiah 43:10 were “basically” the anointed remnant, since in 1931, when they took up the name, they were the only ones attending the conventions where the name was adopted.

I never recalled, of course, I was in fact not born, that the book “Salvation” edited in 1939, specifically made the distinction between the Jonadabs and the anointed in those explicit terms:

Jonadab becomes a companion of and walks with the anointed followers of Christ Jesus, the remnant, Jehovah's witnesses now on the earth.

At that time, 4 years had already elapsed since the GC was identified, and they were still NOT considered Jehovah’s Witnesses.

The other publications cited by you, namely 1998, 1975 and 1964, although they refer explicitly to the “Witnesses” of Isaiah being the anointed ones, they do not seem exclude, on the other hand, the GC as being AS WELL members of the same entity, the JW organization, as this was the case in 1939.

WHEN, therefore, did the WT subtly enlarged its interpretation to include the FDS as members of the JW entity?
    Specially now, that the GB seems to be the ONLY FDS, both the famous special remnant and the GC, seem to be ONE group, the JW, under the direction and diktat of the GB.

Believe that this is the usual way of acting of the WT.

For a while they teach a given interpretation, then, similarly to what has happened to the 7000 years long “creation days”, the teaching is NEVER officially dropped or modified, but you sense that there was a change and all of a sudden, no one seems to remember that the WT use to teach creation days of 7000 years each, THE BASIS FOR THE 1975 date calculation!

When a teaching is too cumbersome to sustain, or to awkward to continue to be taught, because of different circumstances, it is very cleverly made to fade away from the collective memory of the JW.

If anyone can trace the “moment” the change occurred, it would be interesting to highlight it.

Thanks for the in depth analysis.

Nick!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit