Do Americans feel a 'special relationship' with the UK?

by ThomasCovenant 26 Replies latest jw friends

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Hi

The WT Society always made a big point about the Anglo-American world power when I was growing up in the T. I don't know if they still do. Probably not.

Couple this with the UK media very often going on about a special relationship between the two countries. Some journalists would often point out though that this may have been wishful thinking on the part of the smaller UK.

I was a fan of Alistair Cooke's 'Letter from America' and he , being of an older UK birth background would also reinforce this impression I had that there was a difference between the bond between the US/UK that was different to other countries.

Is this idea totally one sided?

It seems to me that certainly in time of war that the two have worked very closely and does this influence the way the average US citizen sees the British?

I'd be interested in any comments thanks

Thomas Covenant

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

I don't know about the rest of America, but I have always felt there was a special bond between the US and the UK.

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

I tend to wish America was more like the UK. I love the culture of the Brits. My wife and I vacationed in the UK back in 2001, and I was enthralled! I think of it as a "village mentality." The Brits all live in their villages and actually WALK around when they need to get something.

Here in America we drive for EVERYTHING. In my town we have loads of shopping centers built to encourage walking from shop to shop. DO people walk? Nope. They hop their fat, lazy, cheeseburger eating asses into their SUV's and drive 100 feet down the parking lot to the next store. Another thing, the metric system. If I had said we drive 300 meters, the vast majority of Americans would be lost.

And the historical buildings? Amazing. I walked the medieval walls of York, and knew that the worn steps had been used centuries earlier by city defenders. Here in America if it's older then 30 years we rip it down and build a Starbucks over it.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Special relationship might be overstating it, but most Americans I know have a great deal of respect for Britain and especially its culture. Probably more so than Britain has for ours.

• oompa
    oompa

heck ya...bigtime......anytime you kick someones ass who was treating your badly.....it always feels good and special!............oompa

• JeffT
    JeffT

At the border crossing between the US and Canada at Blaine, Wa there is a large arch. Part of the inscription reads "Two children of one mother."

I think there is a very strong bond between the US and UK.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

The anglosphere has a shared culture and history. We are, in a sense, one people. Whenever there is a problem, notice how UK, US, Australia, and Canada tend to stick together an support each other. Kind of like the Greek city states during the time of the Delian League.

BTS

• ninja
    ninja

they probably would....if only they could stop staring at our bad teeth

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Yes, we do.

We've spent much blood and treasure forging that special relationship.

But, what really holds us together is our disdain for the French. (Sarcasm)

• Farkel
    Farkel

Brits are our brothers in every sense of the word. We're only separated by a common language. (Thanks for that one, George Patton!)

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit