Spiritual vs. Religious

by Gram 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Wednesdays I picket the wiccans

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Wednesdays I picket the wiccans

Still keeping it a day of service ( of sorts), huh? Old habits die hard.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

*chuckles and waves at 6*

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

They are as different as night is from day. In the religious path you have your rules, regulations, structure, organisation, traditions. You have some in the top positions telling you what to believe and how to run your life. You need to conform in order to be accepted into that religion. You have to live by their interpretation of the bible/koran/vedas.

Spirituallity on the other hand is your growth, the path you choose - whether or not you know that you're on a path. You don't have to have a certain belief, it's not defined by a god. For me it's the awareness & freedom with which I live my life.

• Maddie
    Maddie

In Alcoholics Anonymous there is a saying - "Religion is for those who are afraid of going to hell, and spirituality is for those who have been there".

I dont entirely agree with the above because I know there are many religious people who are very spiritual too. However there can be a big difference in that some religious people are obsessed with the rules, regulations and legality of their particular church, so much so that they lose their way. When this happens they become like the Pharisees of Jesus's, of which the JW religion has become a prime example.

Maddie

• homeschool
    homeschool

spirituality is something that is IN you but most peeps who are religious learn to turn that part off. I am a new volunteer for hospice training, and there was a baptist man in the course who quoted jesus at LEAST ten times in just a few hours, and it was SO obvious that he had NO spirituality in him . the jdubs also confuse both terms together to make you feel like its the same thing. but it is not. At all. you already have spirituality in you....just acknowledge it and you'll see. I'm not talking hippie tree hugger stuff either

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

I see spirituality as a search for meaning.

I see religion as repetative ritual to satisfy a god.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I see spirituality as a connection to a higher power, a path to understanding the deeper meaning of life.

As for this question: do you think the WTS brings you to spirituality? If you define spirituality as listening to mind-numbing speeches without being allowed to think freely and counting the hours you spend trying to give out literature, then yes, the WTS brings you to that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit