Spiritual vs. Religious

by Gram 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gram
    Gram

I would like to know your thoughts on being spiritual as opposed to religious. Do you think they are one in the same, do you think the WTS brings you to spirituality? Do you think the WTS makes you a religious person? My personal belief is that I am a spiritual person, but not a religious person. I associate being religious with an organized religion.

• Blithe Freshman
  • Blithe Freshman
    Blithe Freshman

Trying again...

I do not think they are the same.

I believe the WTS discourages spirituality, and makes organizational people.

I belive there are spiritual people in & out of organized religion.

Blithe, a spiritual person

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Oh, good heavens no, they are not one and the same. Religion often has nothing whatsoever to do with spirituality; and vice-versa.

My own personal definition (and bias?) sees religious as being dogmatic, and spirituality as being exploratory.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

What is spirituality?

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

do you think the WTS brings you to spirituality?

Spirituality has a dual nature; it can be good or evil.

The spirit of WT directs its members toward a materialistic goal--- a paradise of pleasures.

This paradise comes at the expense of having their god kill the people who won't go along with their ideas.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Religious: wow, there is stuff we don't understand. Let's attribute it to a God we made up and meet up and worship said God. How does Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursdays sound?

Spirituality: wow, there is stuff I don't understand. Hold still and listen to me blather as I attribute it to a God or to spirits that I have either made up myownbadspiritualself, or, more likely, borrowed from the religious people. If you like my deep spiritual blather, we can meet on Sundays Tues, and Thursdays at Starbucks, and I'll repeat myself, or, more likely, borrow additional blather from this book I'm reading about spirituality.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Spirituality implies one's ability to see what lies ahead, and to act accordingly. If one accurately sees where one is headed and acts appropriately, one is going to be spiritually healthy.

However, if one gets bad information about the future, it makes acting accordingly impossible. One cannot be spiritually healthy if one does not have good information about what is ahead, or continually acts on bad information. And one cannot be spiritually healthy if one is always doing what someone else tells them to or obeys a corrupt form of "morals" that caters to a group that usurps time and resources. In fact, most of Jehovah's Witlesses are extremely spiritually sick and crippled, with those deepest in the cancer being the worst off. They don't even know it--in fact, they believe they are spiritually healthy and everyone else is sick.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

If one accurately sees where one is headed and acts appropriately, one is going to be spiritually healthy.

By that criteria, a smart crime boss is spiritually healthy.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Religious: wow, there is stuff we don't understand. Let's attribute it to a God we made up and meet up and worship said God. How does Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursdays sound?

Spirituality: wow, there is stuff I don't understand. Hold still and listen to me blather as I attribute it to a God or to spirits that I have either made up myownbadspiritualself, or, more likely, borrowed from the religious people. If you like my deep spiritual blather, we can meet on Sundays Tues, and Thursdays at Starbucks, and I'll repeat myself, or, more likely, borrow additional blather from this book I'm reading about spirituality.

Six of Nine...

Looks like you are free on Wednesdays.

Let's get together and do some clay....be our own potters, ya think?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit