Why do we say " I believe in evolution"?

by Anti-Christ 89 Replies latest jw friends

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

Thanks Cades and drwtsn, I was looking for those examples, I also think there is a bacteria that evolve the ability to "eat" cellulose.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

Hey mad dawg, how about the bacteria, that is an example of observe evolution were DNA was not lost

• drwtsn32
  • Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

I am looking into it. There are a lot of competing claims on this one. I am trying to determine the nature of the variation. Seems the change was due to a change in a plasmiod, not DNA. I would also like to know what the nature of the new food is.

If this is as it is supposed to be according to the evo's, we are still a long way from 'goo to you, via the zoo.'

And as I said before, I am not debating links. If you have a point to make, make it.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    "No organism can have a vestigial structure that was not previously functional in one of its ancestors." It really is fascinating to see these guys use examples of de-evolution, the loss of information, to prove evolution.

I think you misunderstood the purpose of the statement. It's a statement/prediction of the theory of common descent. If evidence is discovered that counters the statement, it would (potentially) falsify the theory.

Also, they are talking about atavisms in this context, I believe. How could an atavism manifest that was not a trait of an ancestor species?

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    If this is as it is supposed to be according to the evo's, we are still a long way from 'goo to you, via the zoo.'

The E. coli example is one that we directly observed in a lab. We will never directly observe evolution from a bacterium to a mammal before our eyes, just like we would never observe the entire life of a star from birth to death. It simply takes too long. (A time machine might help though.)

But what we have observed is E. coli gaining an ability because of multiple compound mutations. Extend this over hundreds of millions of years and changes build up.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

The defunct vitamin C gene in primates is another great evidence of common descent and evolution that's easy to understand.

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

Why are you offering "evidence" when evolution is supposed to be a "fact"? You all are always talking about the "fact" of evolution, but can't seem to produce the facts.

In any trial there is evidence for and against the defendant. "Evidence" is not "fact."

We will never directly observe evolution from a bacterium to a mammal before our eyes, just like we would never observe the entire life of a star from birth to death. It simply takes too long.

Which is why it is not observable, testable, or repeatable. Which is why it is not fact. Which is why it is more accurate to say “I believe in evolution” per the OP.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    Which is why it is not observable, testable, or repeatable.

That's juts completely wrong. We can see evolution happen in front of our eyes. It makes testable predictions. There are tons of lines of evidence which prove evolution happened. Look at our genome; there are many things there which prove common descent and disprove special creation.

Facts that point to evolution have been provided all throughout this thread.

• Mad Dawg
    Mad Dawg

drwstn32 said:

We will never directly observe evolution…

drwstn32 also said:

We can see evolution happen in front of our eyes.

Which is it? The problem is that you keep swithching between natural selection, which is limited, and goo-to-you evolution. I have already stated that I accept that things change in a limited, observable fashion.

Remember, just because I can jump across a mud puddle does not mean that I can jump across the Grand Canyon .

If there are “tons of lines of evidence which proved that evolution happened,” then pick one and stick with it. Tossing out “vitamin C gene” or “our genome” with out explanation does not constitute a fact.

Keep in mind that whatever you choose must be observable, testable, and repeatable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit