Questions about Athletic Activities while a JW

by AjaxMan 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Mum
    Mum

I joined a spa/fitness club late in my JW career. Other sisters from our congregation joined these clubs, too, and I don't remember anything being said about it. Some of the sisters also joined Weight Watchers, and there was no controversy about this.

I believe that joining the fitness club might have saved me from a mental institution or worse. I was so depressed and messed up that I could hardly tolerate consciousness.

I did catch flack about taking some college courses, which I started about the same time as the fitness thing. Intellectual "bad association," it turns out, must be worse than sports/fitness "bad association."

Seize the day, and put the least possible trust in tomorrow. - Horace

I have learned to live each day as it comes and not to borrow trouble by dreading tomorrow. - Dorothy Dix

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Lets be clear about this. The School brochure (published by Jehovah's Witnesses) says this:

Yet you may have noticed that most Witness youths do not participate in extracurricular activities sponsored by the schools.

Sports: Bodily training, such as we get in sports, is good for us. But placing the matter in proper perspective, the Bible says: "Be training yourself with godly devotion as your aim. For bodily training is beneficial for a little; but godly devotion is beneficial for all things." (1 Timothy 4:7, 8) In keeping with this advice, Jehovah's Witnesses appreciate the value of physical education courses that are conducted during school hours.

At the same time, however, Witness parents feel that schools often overemphasize sports. Therefore in training their children, they try to moderate the emphasis on athletic achievement. They hope their young ones will want to pursue careers, not as athletes, but as ministers of God. So Witness parents encourage their children to use after-school hours principally to pursue spiritual interests, rather than to excel in some sport.

Participation in organized sports, we believe, would expose Witness youths to unwholesome associations. We also feel that the competitive spirit in modern sports-'the winning isn't everything, it's the ONLY thing' ideology-has harmful effects. So if Witness youths feel the need for extra recreation, their parents encourage them to seek such recreation with fellow believers, yes, "along with those who call upon the Lord out of a clean heart."-2 Timothy 2:22. sj 1983 Page 22

There you have it. Witness kids take part in sports sponsored by fellow believers. Didn't anyone here play 11-man football in inter-congregation competition? Some parents and congregations take different views but the official line is clear.

Thirdson

'To avoid criticism, say nothing, do nothing, be nothing'

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

When Secondson was at high school he wanted to take part in cross-country running which he was good at. THe problem was that school competition took place on Saturday mornings so my brother had to miss field service. This caused a problem and our mother refused to let him take part unless he agreed to go out on FS on Saturday afternoons. So during the fall my brother (13-14 yrs old) raced in the mornings and went out on magazine work in the afternoon, most often working on his own.

My dad didn't have much of a say in this he worked Saturday mornings (he was a mailman at the time) and napped Saturday afternoons.

Thirdson

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

Does sex count? I liked that exercise a lot and boy did I EVER get in trouble. LOL

MrMoe, making a guest appearance......................

• Pork Chop
    Pork Chop

Thirdson the old "School" brochure was replaced in 1995 by "Jehovah's Witnesses and Education." Interestingly enough, the new brochure does not even mention sports or participation in organized athletics. Personally I've known Witness kids that played football, basketball, soccer, golf and tennis in school. For the most part, no one said anything. I know one CO told the body of elders that it was none of their business if a particular kid wanted to play tennis, he was good enough he was thinking about going pro.

• Xena
    Xena

My nephew played basketball in school...my JW sister encouraged him in this in order to keep his grades up...that is until she married a "hard line" JW..due to his "influence" she began to frown on his being involved in basketball..right in the middle of his Junior year. He continued to play even with her and "hubby's" disapproval. In the local cong. here he was considered "bad" association for his participation in school sports.

Poor kid....

• AjaxMan
    AjaxMan

Pork Chop:

I wonder if that new brochure "Jehovah's Witnesses and Education" doesn't discourage young Witnesses to pursue a Higher Education like getting a college degree?

Ajax

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things and the best things never die." - The Shawshank Redemption

• AjaxMan
    AjaxMan

Xena,

I feel sorry for your nephew. Hopefully, he's doing as well as you.

Ajax

"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things and the best things never die." - The Shawshank Redemption

• Darkhorse
    Darkhorse

Mum, did you have any worldly acquaintances when you attended the gym or have any worldly friends there?

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Porkchop,

Most of here finished high school before 1995. The old school brochure came out 3 years after I finished college. For many of us growing up in the WTS org and even raising kids the WTS had the attitude as found in School brochure. I'm glad that JW kids now take part in extra-curricular sports and JW girls are playing soccer and (ice) hockey and generally experiencing the freedom to participate in any sport that girls want to play. I wonder how many JWs have gotten sports scholarships to college now?

Thirdson

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit