Maurice Jarre - great composer, RIP

by Sad emo 16 Replies latest social entertainment

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

He also wrote the theme for "Is Paris Burning?" one of my favorite (underrated) films. His music contributed so much to the emotional experience of watching these films.

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

BB, "is Paris burning" an underrated fim ? I would have said a third rate film, as too many theatrical stars vie with one another to hold the centre of the stage and look so unrealistic as historical characters, like in The longest Day, somehow. only one actor managing to play his game well is Gert Fröbe, as a credible Von Choltitz, IMO

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

HeySad Emo.

(I hold my brother responsible for my lifelong enjoyment of house/dance/rave music LOL!)

I am exactly the same!

Oxygene and even earlier the theme to Dr Who when I was about 6 yrs old. Now that was a trippy song that got endlessly reworked for the dance floor in the late nineties....

Did you get that show in the States in the sixties?

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Hi doofdaddy

I live in the homeland of Dr Who, not the States so I remember him well

I only remember back to the seventies though - that tune used to freak me out then - but probably because I associated it with daleks and cybermen lol!

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

aligot,

Yes, that was the critical assessment of the film - a showcase for stars. Imagine the story without the star power - vignettes of the French resistance - still a good story.

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

French resistance - still a good story.

Well, as the film shows, those resistants were a handful, ill armed, still they attacked the german army, putting the city at great risk of being destroyed in retaliation, since the governor Von CHOLTITZ had been ordered by Hitler to place explosive material in the most prestigious monuments. Those resistants were ready to bring havoc on Paris for the sake of their petty glory. A good thing they had in front of them a man like Von CHOLTITZ who was far more intelligent than them, who decided not to destroy Paris. This chap is an authentic hero, one of Paris boulevards should have been given his name.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Churchill and Eisenhower certainly gave the resistance fighters a great deal of credit for helping to bring the war to a close. Since then history's final analysis seems to shift with the winds of prevailing politics.

I realize that the French resistance has been romanticized in this film. That's why I enjoyed it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit