Maurice Jarre - great composer, RIP

by Sad emo 16 Replies latest social entertainment

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

French president Nicolas Sarkozy has paid tribute to Oscar-winning film composer Maurice Jarre, who has died in Los Angeles at the age of 84.

Mr Sarkozy called French-born Jarre, whose credits include Lawrence of Arabia, "a great composer" who produced "majestic and full-bodied works".

Jarre also won Academy Awards for Dr Zhivago and A Passage To India.

His last public appearance was in February at the Berlin Film Festival, where he won a lifetime award.

Full article here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7971223.stm

Lawrence of Arabia is one of my favourite films and soundtracks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irPSvEkQl8Q&NR=1

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Bummer. I love how his music weaves through the story of both Lawrence of Arabia and Dr. Zhivago. Neither film would be the same without his music.

• wednesday
    wednesday

BT I hate to do this on the board but I can't tell if the pm section is working. I sent Nina a pm.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Neither film would be the same without his music.

I so agree with you Tex. His music added so much more effect to the films and screenplays he wrote scores for - a sign of someone incredibly gifted. His music almost drew you into the scenes themselves, different to 'just' watching, you could in a way become a part of the movie.

I'm glad he passed on his gift to his two sons as well. Jean-Michel's album, 'Tubular Bells' is one of my earliest musical memories.

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

If I remember well, his son Jean-Michel JARRE said that, great composer as he was he remained an aloof father, nobody is perfect.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

aligot, maybe to be aloof with one's own flesh and blood is the trade-off in the search for excellence/perfection?

Sounds a bit like JW ethic doesn't it? They can attain their goal but at what personal cost?

• ninja
    ninja

I take it he'll be decomposing from now on?

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Tubular Bells was Mike Oldfield.

J M Jarre was an early synthisizer composer. Same era, different stuff.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo
    Tubular Bells was Mike Oldfield.

Oops yes it was lol! I was thinking of 'Oxygene' and got 'em muddled up!

My brother played them both loads so they are both very much loved by me

I hold my brother responsible for my lifelong enjoyment of house/dance/rave music LOL!

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

He left his last movement on the piano stool.

HB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit