BTW...Jude is the One Hit Wonder of the NWT Bible........

by oompa 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• oompa
    oompa

and i forgot that Leo regarding your first post...when i first saw the page, i just noticed two had quote marks and one did not....i can not even remeber if there is a similar cross reference anymore....and don't care....but jude really tipped me off to look for quotation marks...........

you need to try one of mine....good gin, splash of olive juice...extra big olives (three)......and just a cap full of vermouth....crushed ice in the class for three minutes....well shaken in fully iced shaker.....ummmmm

and oh do i love Captain Morgans and that Black rum...Pussers!!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Well, they include allusions into their rationale, not just direct quotations; just look at the insertions of "Jehovah" into the Pauline epistles....you can find many examples of allusions with "Jehovah" interpolated into the text. But my point is that even the two quotations in Jude are not quotations from the OT, so how could the Society know that YHWH was in the original text? After all, 'adonay ("Lord") is used to refer to God in the OT as well, as it does in extracanonical works. So without looking at the text being quoted, it is not obvious whether kurios corresponds to a YHWH or 'adonay in the Hebrew or Aramaic. And in the case of the quotation in v. 14-15, we do in fact have the passage that the author was quoting and no such name occurs in the text.

• possible-san
    possible-san

oompa,

WT uses hades sheol and gehenna instead of hell........why could they not have just done the same with kyrios and theos?........

I think that this shows the difficulty of work of "translation."
    The Bible is written in "Hebrew" and "Greek" and is not "English."
    Circumstances are the same in other language.

I cannot translate Japanese word into English plentifully.
    That is because the ways of expression of "the same things" are different in English and Japanese.
    So, even if I am going to describe "the same things", in English, I have to use a different expression.
    And naturally it is different from Japanese.

So, as me, even if I say "the same things", it is not "the same things" at all.

possible
    http://bb2.atbb.jp/possible/

• Priest73
    Priest73
    I actually preferred Jude's earlier stuff. Less commercial.

That is perhaps, one of the best lines ever on JWD.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit