BTW...Jude is the One Hit Wonder of the NWT Bible........

by oompa 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• oompa
    oompa

see...when Appendix 1-D explains that in the Christian Greek Scriptures (New Testament) we have "restored the divine name when quoting from the Hebrew Scriptures"....now when something is quoted it has "quotation marks" ....these """"""""" but it does NOT EXPLAIN that it also ADDS the name whenever it wants too in an effort to show that Jesus is not Jehovah....so if you read Jude...you will see three uses of the name Jehovah...and duh...Jude vs. 5 is a TOTAL add on....not a quote of anything in the Hebrew Scriptures.....the other two are "quotes" of Hebrew passages..

now we really should not even put the divine name in there for any reason unless ancient manuscripts have YHWH in them...but NONE DO!!!...just check you Insight book under the Jehovah heading...Use In The Greek Scriptures.............love you guys.........oompa

just gotta share this stuff!...we gotta lotta newbies!.........

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I actually preferred Jude's earlier stuff. Less commercial.

• beksbks
    beksbks

And who can forget the Beatles tribute to Jude?

• steve2
    steve2

The NWT was on extremely shakey scholastic ground when it brazenly inserted "Jehovah" into the YHWH-free zone referred to as The New Testament/Christian Greek Scriptures.

But make no mistake about it: The NWT is in very crowded company: Down through the centuries, group after group after group has insinuated its own peculiar beliefs into its translation. For more than 1,000 years - perhaps more - the ancient manuscripts have been tossed aside in favour of new (doctrinal) renderings. Only it goes virtually unnoticed when it's done by a big group (Catholic) compared with a small group (JWs).

• XxJazzxX
    XxJazzxX

And lets not forget Jude 4

For certain men whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are godless men, who change the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord.(NIV)

I guess they really do have 2 Lords after all...

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Here are the three insertions of "Jehovah" in Jude:

Jude 5 NWT: "I desire to remind YOU, despite YOUR knowing all things once for all time, that Jehovah, although he saved a people out of the land of Egypt, afterwards destroyed those not showing faith".

Jude 9 NWT: "But when Mi´cha·el the archangel had a difference with the Devil and was disputing about Moses’ body, he did not dare to bring a judgment against him in abusive terms, but said: “May Jehovah rebuke you."

Jude 14-15 NWT: "Yes, the seventh one [in line] from Adam, E´noch, prophesied also regarding them, when he said: “Look! Jehovah came with his holy myriads, to execute judgment against all, and to convict all the ungodly concerning all their ungodly deeds that they did in an ungodly way, and concerning all the shocking things that ungodly sinners spoke against him."

None of these involve quotations or allusions to the OT. The first is the author's own general comment, reminding his readers of how God destroyed Israelites in the wilderness who disobeyed him; the kurios in this context does not reflect a particular passage. The second is an allusion to the story of Moses' death in the Assumption of Moses, a noncanonical text that was well-known to the early church (cf. Clement of Alexandria, Adumbrationes in Epistulam Judae, 9; Origen, De Principiis 3.2.1, Homilia in Jesu Nave, 2.1; Didymus Caecus, in Epistulam Judae Enarratio, 9; Gelasius Cyzicenus, Historia Ecclesiastica 2.17.17, 2.21.7). It should be obvious to anyone who knows the OT that no such story about Michael the archangel exists in the OT. The NWT instead cites Zechariah 3:2 as the text that supports the insertion of "Jehovah" at Jude 9, but this is a completely different story that concerns Zerubbabel and the high priest Jeshua after the Babylonian exile. What is going on is that the Assumption of Moses reuses material from the OT in composing new narratives; the same thing can be observed in other pseudepigraphal works (see my discussion of OT intertextuality in the first chapter of 1 Enoch). The same sentence ("Let the Lord rebuke you") was utilized in yet another narrative context in the Latin text of the Life of Adam and Eve as what Seth tells a beast that confronts him outside the gates of Eden (39:1). And although the conclusion of the Assumption of Moses is not extant in the sole surviving copy, it is certain that YHWH did not occur in place of "Lord", as the latter is what is used throughout the work — including allusions to passages containing YHWH in the OT (cf. 1:6, 11, 2:2, 7, 9, 3:2, 5, 4:2, 4, 8, 5:4, 9:3, 7, 11:16-17, 12:5-6; compare the formula "thus says the Lord" in 1:11 and the expression kh 'mr yhwh "thus says YHWH" in Jeremiah 26:2 and throughout the Prophets). The third instance of "Jehovah" at Jude 14-15 occurs within a quotation from 1 Enoch 1:9, and the combined witness of the Greek, Latin, and Ethiopic text of this passage shows that neither "Lord" nor YHWH occurred in the original text; kurios is an addition made by the author of Jude in his loose quoting of 1 Enoch. Moreover, the tetragrammaton occurs nowhere else in the extant text of 1 Enoch in the original Aramaic (preserved at Qumran), the Greek, or the Ethiopic. So none of these three insertions of "Jehovah" represent a known quotation or allusion of YHWH in a source used by the author of Jude.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi,

The most important things to note is that there are other verses using the same greek word "kurios" in Jude, see verses 4 and 21.

Although these are the same greek word that the NWT "translates" Jehovah in verses 5, 9 and 14 they choose the word Lord in 4 and 21.

Now why would the "translators" do that? Lets look at the NWT

4 My reason is that certain men have slipped in who have long ago been appointed by the Scriptures to this judgment, ungodly men, turning the undeserved kindness of our God into an excuse for loose conduct and proving false to our only Owner and Lord, Jesus Christ.

17 As for YOU , beloved ones, call to mind the sayings that have been previously spoken by the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ

I leave you to draw your own conclusion!

All the best,

Stephen

• possible-san
    possible-san

I have got bored with this kind of topic no more.
    In my website, I argued about all these topics.

And I explained also in JWD that "Jesus is not Jehovah" repeatedly.
    (But Jesus is "I AM".)

It is clear to anyone that there is no the divine name in the New Testament manuscripts.

But the Bible which has restored the divine name is not only NWT.
    So, I think it not well to take only it up especially and to blame it (NWT).

(Please look at the "collection of Web links" in my website.
    http://godpresencewithin.web.fc2.com/pages/link/link03.html
    http://godpresencewithin.web.fc2.com/pages/link/link05.html)

If you examine the New Testament of modern Hebrew, you can understand that Tetragrammaton is printed in Jude.
    You have to blame "UNITED BIBLE SOCIETIES" and "Bible Society in Israel" rather than the NWT (JW).

But, of course, the pronunciation of that Tetragrammaton (Hebrwe) is "ADONAI."
    It is not "Jehovah" or "Yahweh" (Jahveh), either.

possible
    http://bb2.atbb.jp/possible/

• oompa
    oompa

WT uses hades sheol and gehenna instead of hell........why could they not have just done the same with kyrios and theos?........of course i know why.....it would still make jesus look like god in many scriptures...and it would still leave out the wonderful holy divine superfine glorius name Jehovah some Catholic dude Martini made up....................oompa

personally...i like real martini's better than the name jehovah....

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

oompa....I tried one last year and it was like drinking Pine Sol. I prefer my rum thank you very much.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit