Why do they never invite you for a meal but always encourage you to attend meetings?

by truthseeker 29 Replies latest jw friends

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

well 5 years since my last meeting and no one bothers me

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

why? well why invite a person who has gone back to the vomit to share a meal at your home? Wouldn't you be inviting demonz along with them? Their mindset is not on things chaste.

I only got invited to the hall for my JC.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Blondie,

Thanks for those WT snippets - yes, the Society will have the dubs invite you to everything but coffee and cakes

Done4Good :) Thanks for comment, you're spot on!

• truthseeker
  • Nellie
    Nellie

No one else in my house was a witness while I was growing up - biblically speaking, I was a spiritual orphan - I remember complaining to an elder once when I was about 17 that other than my personal teenage friends in the congregation, NO ONE had ever invited me over for a meal. He told me that it was always his intention to do that. I looked him square in the face and told him that if that was what he wanted to do that he had had 4 years to do it and should have found the time to do it by then. Post script - he never invited me - even after that!

So much for caring for widows and orphans.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

First, that stunt of bringing up points "I may have enjoyed" from recent boasting sessions is a waste. I have likely found everything that I might have enjoyed right here on this forum, and I didn't even have to waste the time going to the Kingdumb Hell. They can invite me to the REJECT Jesus Party, but that would be a great big waste of time and paper (inviting me to the Grand or Great Boasting Session is also going to be a dead work, since I will get the information from these forums).

And, what is there to do these days at their houses? Once upon a time, they might have had a Nintendo system or plan on taking a walk along some park. But we are not in the late 1980s or early 1990s anymore--all your time is for field circus, and planning anything except hounding people to get to the boasting sessions is a "waste" of time that is better spent in field circus or hounding inactive ones to go to the boasting sessions. And, getting people that are inactive in March out in field circus in April--that would be a complete disaster if they ever got me out (I would be the biggest cancer seed the Washtowel Slaveholdery ever had).

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi,

They like to follow the law as they see it. After all, disfellowship is only a step away.

1 Corinthians 5:11 (New International Version)

11 But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat.

All the best,

Stephen

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Positive reinforcement .....whenever we had slowed down to two or three hours of service a month we seldom were invited to others homes ....but the day we show up for service as a family on Saturday BAM the phone rings with several social offers . You learn real quick and so did the kids if you want to do anything social be seen in service on Saturday . The weekends before Superbowl sunday were the best turn outs for service the whole year because everyone wanted someone to invite them over that weekend !

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

We sure had a lot of the 'brothers' and 'sisters' over throughout the years...many enjoyed themselves at our place. Now, that we've faded, haven't been to a meeting except for the Memorial in over a year, they INVITE THEMSELVES over to OUR PLACE to encourage US! You've just gotta love it. We actually had them over, because that is our way, and enjoyed ourselves.

However, I was just thinking the other day how there is no way that I could just show up unexpectedly at any one of their doors, much less invite myself and family over, but these people seem to be able to drop in unexpectedly, through the week, around dinner-time, just for a 'few minutes', you name it, they've got the nerve! They can also call and ask if it's ok for them to come over on such and such a time, because our 'place is bigger than theirs!' Where do they get the chutzpah???

• undercover
    undercover

It's always drummed into their heads, "go to meetings, go to meetings, go to meetings...salvation is at meetings, salvation is at meeting, salvation is at meetings..." so for them to offer any kind of encouragment or help, that's the first thing that they think of..."come to the meeting..."

If they're a true friend, they'll do more than invite you to a meeting (as if you needed inviting to a public meeting that you already know about)...they'd try to find something on a personal level to do, wether it's a meal, or an offer to help with some issue.

Fact is, most JWs are not close friends. They're acquaintances that they're thrown together with several times a week, much like we're acquaintances with workmates or school mates. Occasionally, we do find real friends through those contacts, but the vast majority do not become close friends.

I told this story a while back...a JW I've known for years, a friend at one time, invited me to dinner. He named a place and time, conveniently after the Sunday pm meeting. Of course in his invitation to dinner, he invited me to the meeting, saying we would go to dinner after the meeting. I told him that I couldn't make the meeting but I'd be able to meet him at the restaurant about 30 minutes after the meeting. He withdrew his invitation when I made it clear that I wasn't going to the meeting. Some friend, huh?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit