Can someone who speaks French please translate this?

by Mickey mouse 29 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Whoops!

Thanks, Narkissos ...

CoCo

This court exists, too, in Belgium (obviously). Google Cassation Court, Belgium, if interested.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Good! I certainly hope the courts in Belgium take a look at the blood and child molestation issues as well, just like the authorities did in France. From what I've been reading, most of the Watchtower nonsense isn't tolerated in China or Russia either. I hate to see anyone suffer from religious persecution, but common sense should prevail. There is no way that these bastards should be able to get away with letting people die and persecuting child molestation victims.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I'll slightly modify Blondie's:

The Jehovahs sentenced
    (24/01/2009)
    Exclusive: the Supreme court of appeal acknowledges discriminations by the organization

BRUSSELS It is a world première. A Belgian court, the Supreme court of appeal, has just recognized that JWs have discriminatory practices toward people excluded from this movement which oscillates between religion and cultic organization.

Jacques had belonged to what he calls today “a cult” for about fifteen years. “For having taken the defense of one of my JW customers who was in conflict with an elder of the organization, I was disfellowshipped”, he says.

The problem is that, at Jehovah's, members are clearly instructed in writing not to have any more contact with the disfellowshipped, today more prosaically called “excommunicated”.

Result: “As my wife lives under my roof, that was not a problem but, for example, I have not seen my mother-in-law any more for seven years and I do not have any more contact with my sisters.”

On the basis of the 2003 antidiscrimination law, Jacques decided to sue. His action was dismissed once in summary procedure, but the Court of Appeal of Liège finally recognized the presumption of discrimination against him.

That was a first victory for Jacques but not a judgment against the Jehovahs. “The burden of proving that I had indeed been discriminated was mine.” And the Liège citizen then went to the Cassation court.

The supreme authority just rendered its verdict. “The Court recognizes that, on the basis of the stricter 2007 antidiscrimination law, if there are established presumptions of discrimination, the burden of proving that there was no discrimination falls on Jehovah's Witnesses.”

Consequently, the case will have to be examined again; it was sent back to the Court of Appeal of Mons which will have to render a final decision.
    “It is a world première. Never before had justice opened such a breach. I can't see how they could now prove that there was no discrimination. If they are sentenced, the judgement will have worldwide consequences. “

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Thanks Narkissos. Sounds promising.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

A global precedent. A Belgium tribunal, La Cour de cessation, just recognized that the Jehovah's witnesses have discriminating practices towards ex-members of the group that is a borderline cult.

Jacques a fait partie de ce qu'il appelle aujourd'hui "une secte" , pendant une quinzaine d'années. "Pour avoir pris la défense d'un de mes clients aussi témoin de Jéhovah qui avait un conflit avec un cadre supérieur de l'organisation, j'ai été exclu" , indique-t-il.

Jacques was part of what he calls today a sect for 15 years. "because i sided with one of my JW clients that had a conflict with on of the org. superieur I was disfellowshiped"

Le problème, c'est que chez les Jéhovah, on indique clairement par écrit aux membres qu'ils ne doivent plus avoir de contacts avec les exclus, aujourd'hui plus prosaïquement nommés "excommuniés" .

With the JW the problem lies with the fact that they clearly state in writing that they can not have any contact with ex-members who are prosaically called excommunicated.

Résultat : "Ma femme vivant sous mon toit, cela n'a pas posé de problème mais, par exemple, je n'ai plus vu ma belle-mère depuis sept ans et je n'ai plus de contacts avec mes sœurs."

The result: " It did not cause any problems with my wife who lives with me but I have not seen my mother in-law for 7 years and I no longer have any contact with my sisters.

Et sur base de la loi antidiscrimination de 2003, Jacques a décidé d'intenter une action en justice. Débouté une première fois en référé, la cour d'appel de Liège a finalement reconnu la présomption de discrimination dont a été victime Jacques.

On the basis of the 2003 antidiscrimination law Jacques desided to take legal action. It was first rjected in summary procedure but in appel it was reconised that he was discrimanated against.

Une première victoire pour Jacques mais pas une condamnation des Jéhovah. "C'était à moi de prouver que j'avais bien été discriminé." Et le Liégeois s'est alors pourvu en cassation.

A first victory for Jacques but not a complet sentence for the JW. " It's up to me to prove that I was a victim of discrimination"

C'est une première mondiale. Un tribunal belge, la Cour de cassation, vient de reconnaître que les Témoins de Jéhovah ont des pratiques discriminatoires à l'égard des exclus du mouvement qui balance entre religion et organisation sectaire.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

Something went wrong with my post..

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I hope it's a bit clearer (English -> French translation is easier for me).

The case has been discussed a lot among French-speaking xJWs. The big issue, of course, is the reversal of the burden of proof. If it is confirmed in further jurisprudence that could have far-reaching consequences indeed (at least in the EU).

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hmm... I forgot to check the French text on (at least) one point: it's "senior executive", not "elder" (not the WT technical term)

Otherwise: "secte" is "cult" (in this context), and "on indique aux membres" means instructions to the members...

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

I tried to translate but I speak Quebecois not french I notice that it is a little more difficult for me to understand European french and I know a lot of Europeans who speak french have a hard time understanding their French-Canadian cousins.

• llbh
    llbh

I am not an expert on European Law, but i have studied it, and this could quite easily have implications for the rest of Europe, as this could become part of the canon of European Law; the higher the Court deciding this the more likely that this will become so. Even the decisions of lower Courts can, and are cited as examples of persuasive evidence.

The wts is now in hard place with regards to this decision, if they appeal it they need to go to a higher Court, if they do not there is an implied and tacit acceptaance of the decision of this Court

Regards David

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit