Being part of the Jehovah's Witnesses - can you give a short resume of your experiences?

by jambon1 16 Replies latest jw friends

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Jookbeard, great story, especially the fact that you survived it! Would also love to hear how you won the appeal.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

PwP'ed I've just sent Wobble a long PM about my story ask him to forward it to you if that's possible

• besty
    besty

hey jookbeard - pretty sure Marcus gave evidence against me at my JC, but I wasn't there so couldn't say for sure.

Other than his car was parked outside the KH that Friday night :-)

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I came into the truth by default, being my mothers' daughter. She had known about the faith for a couple of years and when I was about 6/7 - committed to the faith in baptism.

Soon it became all I knew. Grew up, did field service, answered became a publisher and started giving talks. I used to put in 60 hours of fieldies during some of my holidays but I couldn't be classified as a pioneer because I wasn't baptised.

First attempt at baptism: 15 - wasn't allowed to because of my hair - I had very long hair and had recently curled it - it was too worldly.

Second attempt: 16 - sailed through and got baptised August 1992.

1994 I got silently reproved for drinking & partying - this hurt because there were elders sons who were a lot worse and got off. They knew how much I loved to answer. Even though the reproof was silent, everyone knew because the study conductors would deliberately skip me when it came to reading scriptures at the bookstudy.

It was during this time I did my own study of the revelation book. I used secular books along with my bible and other publications. Things didn't tally up and when I spoke to my mum, she said it's best that I didn't mention it and keep it to myself.

My mum stopped going to meetings when I was 22, and my baby brother came once or twice but that was about it (in hindsight - thank god!)

During this time I did everything I should: Gave well researched answers, did personal study, went on fieldies, attended all meetings, had encouraging socials - a good dub.

I hit a bit of a wobble as I was really into my advertising career and that took quite a bit of my time - so meeting attendence fell, and I just started feeling like I wasn't important to my brothers & sisters. I had "friends" but was always the one organising everything - no one really cared when I didn't go....

Literally woke up on the 1st of Jan 2005 and asked myself why i hadn't looked into this belief and why I accepted everything they said at face value. It took about 3 months of intensive study and research to realise that this faith wasn't the truth. A couple of months were spent by the elders / family trying to get me back. July came around and I was disfellowshipped.

That was the easy part.

Finding myself again, coping with the huge loss of losing everyone I had known / loved in one swoop took a while and a great re-adjustment.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

Besty, old Marcus gave evidence in the first hearing and my appeal, just sat there in that disinterested way of his, staring into space

• kokyong.soon3
    kokyong.soon3

i am a bible study at 12,baptized at 17.i was disfellowshipped thereafter.(for not taking the neutrality stand)i was reinstated 3years later.by then i suffered mental depression.it lasted 21years(because i skip medication).

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Born

Trapped

Left

Happy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit