How does shunning work?

by tympan 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tympan
    tympan

Can someone who knows please explain the nuts and bolts of shunning.

I've never been df'd but half of my family has no contact with me at all. My sister even refused to answer the door when I called around once (only did it once).

Certainly feels like I'm shunnee.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I have no intention of telling some one like you.....You were born with a hole in your bum....Your mom tied a pork chop around your neck,just so the neighbours dog would play with you!!..Don`t bother me again..Go away..No one likes you!..............................................................Do you feel shunned yet??..LOL!!..................OUTLAW

• tympan
    tympan

Well thanks OUTLAW. Nice one.

I was actually after a more doctrinal/technical definition and description from the org's point of view.

• viva
    viva

Quite simply, shunning is a control mechanism. It can be effective in any situation where the network of people you associated with is limited to a certain group, like in a cult. If you break the rules of the cult, you are thrown out, and you are cut off the the network of people you knew. No association at all. The idea is that you will be devestated by the loss of your associates and do whatever is necessary to re-join the group (cult).

JWs call it disfellowshipping and say it is to bring a person back to the true religion, but it is nothing more than a desperate attempt to control you.

Now, you do not have to be disfellowshipped to be shunned by the JWs. If you haven't done anything to be disfellowshipped, you can still be "marked" as bad association, and other JWs are advised not to associate with you. This is a kind of informal shunning. There is no announcement that you are marked, there may be a special needs talk that indicates you are not a good associate by pointing to things you have done as wrong, without actually naming you. Or more frequently the word that you are "marked" spreads by word of mouth through the rumor mill that is the JW congregation.

• Nellie
    Nellie

Actually, if you're not DA'd or DF'd, then it appears that your sister (and possibly others) have chosen to "mark" you. Marking is not done by the congregation, but rather is left up to the individual consciences of the members. If someone believes that you hare not good association, then they individually, they can choose to "mark" you and begin to shun you. Like Viva pointed out, this usually spreads like wildfire through the congregation and before you know it, you're on the outs with most of them!

Can't you feel the love?

• tympan
    tympan

Thanks viva & Nellie.

That's the term I was looking for - marking. I'd forgotten about that little gem and how it works.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Ok There are two levels to the practice of shunning by the JWs.

The one that most people are familiar with is when a formal announcement is made from the platform when a person is disfellowshipped or is disassociated and no one is supposed to talk to them. It is an extreme form of discipline supposedly meant to teach the disciplined one a lesson. The announcement is made to warn others that this person is a serious threat to your spirituality.

The second level can be split into two forms. The first is that a formal announcement is made from the platform that a person has been disciplined. "marked". People are to view this person as a threat to your spirituality. Relationships with them should be limited to spiritual activities like meetings and service if they are allowed. Hanging out with them at the local bar wouldn't be a good thing.

Then there is an informal "marking" that goes on. Based on what people see or know about a person, and what rumors they have heard some JWs choose to "mark" a person as a spiritual danger. Depending on what they believe they may simply "mark" as person as a minor danger. But they could take that to another level and treat a person as a serious threat and apply the rules of total shunning.

And it is this informal shunning that happens where the person is rarely if ever given a reason for the treatment they get. You pretty much have to guess and live with their choice.

My opinion is that these people have little to offer in the way of helping to reestablish the relationship.

• Quotes
    Quotes

"Shunning" and "marking" works much the same as being labelled a "Suppressive Person" works for the Scientologists.

(1) Hasty / broad generalization: all dissenters and former members are one evil, homogenous group

(2) Demonization: that group of dissenters/former members are bad, bad BAD!

(3) Aggrandizement of "the enemy": The Devil is so evil and clever, he has an entire army of homogenous dissenters and former members that all want only one thing: to shipwreck your faith like their's

~Q

• parakeet
    parakeet

It's like the Berlin Wall. USSR claimed it was to keep "decadent" Western influence out, although they knew (as did the rest of the world) that its true purpose was to keep their "citizens" captive inside.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Listen, you pile of crowbait! You are a pathetic worm. You are nothing but meat for scavengers at armageddon.

That is they're view of you. Now let's shock him and make him see the error of his ways.

Quite ridiculous, but that's the way many dubs believe. I guess you can attract more flies with vinegar than honey.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit