If JWs would stop shunning - how many do you think would disappear

by Albert Einstein 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• villabolo
    villabolo

I believe it would vary from country to country. The ones with the greatest growth would see the smallest decline since its members would be relatively new. The USA and other western countries might see a higher drop off than the rest of the world.

• viva
    viva

Are we talking about leaving as in DAing, or simply not going. I could see 30% DAing, but as far as those who would simply stop going or seriously slack off if that threat went away, I bet it would be alot higher. Shunning does apply to DAed and DFed individuals, but is also used to some extnt with spiritually weak people in the informal practice of "marking" or even less formal than that. If shunning went away, it would be alright to be spiritually weak.

Go to a Sunday meeting. The people that answer regurgitate at the WT study would stay and probably keep up thier attendance.

• SuspiciousMinds
    SuspiciousMinds

It's very hard to say. I know I would be one of those who would leave in an instant if the shunning tactics were not enforced. Who knows how many others only stay in to maintain contact with their family and/or friends? It's not exactly something you share with others in your congregation.

Based on my observations with peers I have grown up with and the apathetic attitude in my congo, 30% just might be accurate. Those who are semi-regular at meetings and in service and who rarely comment would be good candidates.

SM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit