If JWs would stop shunning - how many do you think would disappear

by Albert Einstein 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Albert Einstein
    Albert Einstein

If JWs would stop shunning - how many do you think would disappear from meetings in 1 year?

My guess: 30%

Albert

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

No, not nearly that many. I doubt that figure would even be 3%.

It's easier to stay than to leave. Leaving involves action and taking a stand, not only against family, the organization, god but yourself as well.

Inertia is stronger.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

I don't know, Big Tex. There seems to be large number of people that stay only because of friends/family. If they could leave without the risk of being shunned by those people, I think many would leave.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I'm sure many would leave. But 30%? I don't know any more how many JWs there are (6 million?) but at that figure, 30% would be, what -- say 900,000? I can't see that many.

3% would be around 90,000 and that's quite a few don't you think?

I have a few friends that don't go anymore but they're not shunned. They still hold on to the beliefs however, which is kinda weird if you ask me. That and reading folks' posts here over the years leads to me to believe leaving is harder, and I mean leaving to where shunning would take place.

Chris

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

The ONLY reason it took me 10 years to leave was the shunning. Im quite sure if that sanction was lifted there would be a mass exodus. Even if they changed it to a "conscience matter" and didnt totally reverse it. Same with the blood issue...if there were no sanctions, people wouldnt hesitate to give life saving blood to their loved ones. In a NANO second they would.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

I think 30% might be a bit optimistic, but 3%? It'd be way more than that, especially when you think about the snowball effect.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Maybe it would be a similar proportion of True Believers versus those who are just there to appease family?

• moshe
    moshe

25%- the average family unit is 4 people- I figure at least one of the four would like to leave the KH and the only thing holding them back is the shunning.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

10% initially and another 10-20% over the following few years.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

If 2/3 of the young people leave with the shunning regulation in place, I would think 30% of the total jws leaving without shunning would be a low estimate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit