Left the WT but why the contuinued faith in an invisible God?

by donny 16 Replies latest jw friends

• donny
    donny

Ok, now here's a question for the other side. When you finally discovered enough information that resulted in your leaving the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society's organization, what convinced you that you just needed to replace it with a better more believanle version instead of questioning the whole concept of an invisible God?

Is it that you find the idea of no afterlife to hard to deal with? Or if you live in the U.S., is it that you want to be accepted by the 85% of Americans who beleive in some kind of god?

I am not trying to be scarcastic or condesending, I really want to know some good valid reasons for my resuming a belief in an invisible diety who will reward me for believeing in him even though he/she/it goes to extremes to be unavailble and undetectable.

Don

• I quit!
    I quit!

To put it simply. Why throw the baby out with the bathwater. Just because the Watchtower or another religious group gets things wrong doesn't mean a belief in God is wrong anymore than when atheist get something wrong it proves their whole postion wrong. Also a belief in God doesn't have to be a belief in a reward and punishment system or old guy in the sky belief.

• donny
    donny

I agree that just because the WT is wrong, does not automatically mean everything else religious is wrong. But for me, why believe in something just for the sake of believing. What evidence and/or reasons do you use to justify directing your former faith to another system? Does a creator have to be worshiped and prayed to by its creations?

I did not just throw the baby out with the bathwater when I left. I actually tried going to some other churches afterwards but as time went on, I applied the same critical tests that I had to the Watchtower and they too did not meet my requirements necessary for me to place a blind faith in their supreme deity aka "the baby".

I'm not saying that I will never change my mind in this area, but it would take a lot of evidence for me to acknowledge there is a benovolent God who is interested in us. I guess I have too high a standard for what I expect from the Supreme.

Don

• happpyexjw
    happpyexjw

Don,

I can really feel for your dilemna since I have experienced some of the same questions. I have taken little steps toward various churches and then backed away because frankly, I just see problems with all of them. Right now, I am just developing my own "spiritual self" and looking for answers to what this life is all about in the here and now. For me, that is working and has given me some inner peace. Ultimately, my only concern at this point is to live my life in a way that doesn't cause unnecessary hurt or pain for others and not do things that feel wrong or immoral to me. This kind of thinking makes JWs crazy as they think it is too "me" centered, but I refuse to let others tell me any more what is right or wrong since that is how I got sucked in to the wts in the first place. Take your time and good luck in your search.

• I quit!
    I quit!

A belief in God can't be forced and I think we are all in trouble if there is a God who would harm someone just because they don't believe he/she exists. It is easy for me to believe that there is more out there than I see or can be proved scientifically.

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

My personal belief is that most people are unable to deal with the concept of only existing for 80 years or so. Our minds are so egocentric that we believe we deserve more than that, we deserve eternity. Deeper than that, we believe that in some way we are special, and so we create God in our image. A god like us would love us, and see just how special we are; just how deserving of eternal life we are.

It took me a long time to accept that this life is all I've got. Once I did, everything became so much sweeter. For me, life is now about experiences. When I lay on my death bed I will have no regrets. I will look back on my 80 years and know that I enjoyed them as fully as possible!

• thomas15
    thomas15

Hello donny,

It is good that we live in a society that allows us to make our own choices as to what we believe.

You said above: I applied the same critical tests that I had to the Watchtower and they too did not meet my requirements necessary for me to place a blind faith in their supreme deity aka "the baby".

A question though, if you don't mind me asking is what are your requirements? Maybe if that is known, someone can offer some positive suggestions.

Tom

• wobble
    wobble

I believe the basic teachings of Jesus Christ to be a good way to live,even if he didn't exist.Teachings such as "treat others as you would have them treat you"

I do believe He exists,and is my saviour,is the Way, Truth ,and Life as He said,but my belief is pure faith,I have no proof that would satisfy even the mild sceptic.

Love

Wobble

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    but my belief is pure faith,I have no proof that would satisfy even the mild sceptic

I just want to tell you how refreshing it is to hear a believer speak in this manner.Thank you for your empathy and candor.

-LWT

• donny
    donny

A question though, if you don't mind me asking is what are your requirements

My requirements would be something like actually hearing or seeing something that is unquestionably of Godly origin. I find it ludicrous that a being who desires so much attention and worship from his creation, does such a lousy job of being able to prove he/she/it exists. I would expect a Supreme Being whose thoughts and intelligence were far above ours and who did not act like a spoiled jealous brat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit