What are some of the 'good' things you learned during and after being a Jehovah's Witness?

by Dune 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Dune
    Dune

My problems with the WTBS have always been their doctrine and their absolute control of the rank and file, not the principles that they and most mainstream religions teach. I grew up in a predominantly black urban metropolitan area that had a high crime rate and drug usage. When i go back to my old neighborhood, I always hear about how some of my peers are drug addicts, incarcerated or dead. Of course, anyone could have avoided this if their parent's gave a damn and we're instilled with a sense of decency and reponsibility, but a part of me feels that i was able to bypass this fate because i was being too busy being good JW boy.

Here are some of the things i learned during and after my 'tenure' as a JW:

1. Everyone should learn Public Speaking.
    2. You'll often hear people tell you how much you owe them , in reality, you don’t owe the vast majority of people shit.
    3. Dress for Success.
    4. Tact, Charm and Genuine Interest can take you a long way.
    5. If someone says they're your friend, but would stop talking to you because of a difference in viewpoint (or lack thereof), they were never really your friend to begin with.
    6. If you're under the age of 18, you probably not mature enough to make life-altering decisions.
    7. Biblical Mathematics is for the sheep.
    8. College doesn't kill a person's faith, but rather their ability to idly take bullshit.
    9. Don’t mentally or physically abuse people because of who they are, or what they believe in. It's stupid and none of your business how someone chooses to live their life.
    10. And finally, If something has a direct benefit to a person or specific group of people and an 'eventual' benefit to everyone else, don't fool yourself, the benefit was and always will be for the former.
  • garybuss
    garybuss

My best deals in life have been the bad deals I got out of.

• I quit!
    I quit!

How to sell.

How to take rejection.

To be sceptical of group that claims they have all the answers. Or more to the point just not believe them.

• cluless
    cluless

I Quit

With respect sales is a result orintated business. Bread on the table food in the mouth today.

If the witnesses learn how to sell at the meetings then the Kingdom Halls would be full of studies and newly baptisedbrothers from the door to door ministry.

Clueless

• happpyexjw
    happpyexjw

Interesting question Dune. I did learn some good things during my time with wts. Was active in the school and had many parts on the meetings and at conventions. The ability to speak before large audiences has been a very valuable life skill. I learned to talk to all kinds of people and a lot about persuasion. In a weird way, standing up for unpopular beliefs made me a stronger person, I think, even though I now reject many of those beliefs.

I also think that fear of violating the rules of conduct spared me a lot of trouble (I grew up in the 60s when drugs were becoming very popular). I never fell into the smoking and drinking stuff that many teens get into. Do I think this made me better than them? I did then, but I don't now -- I'm just glad I was spared that misery in my life.

Some things I would change, like getting a college education for example, but the JWs did help me avoid some problems. On the other hand, maybe I would have stayed out of trouble anyway. Who knows?

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

During - public speaking. Preparing talks had its uses. Standing up in front of a hundred or a few thousand was daunting, but facing that has proved useful.

While going through JC - the importance of control. Not losing it, no matter what was thrown at me.

Being out - to LIVE, truly LIVE my life to the full, taking full opportunity of every experience.

• mouthy
    mouthy

They taught me to stop smoking...
    I learned how to speak to an audience ,Have done it hundreds of times since
    on T.V. or Churches, etc: ( All about THEM) ( Though they really dont apprieciate it....
    I was an Atheist when they "Netted"me! So they did teach me to "look" for GOD
    Was taught not to be such a slob in my dress. ( lived in slacks,& t-shirt before I was trained
    So thanks to them for the above.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Since I left? I dont judge as I did then
    Helped others what ever their faith or non belief
    Realize I am gonna" kick the bucket,"& I aint gonna live
    on a Paradise earth with a new figure ....
    Learned NOT TO LISTEN to ANY MAN....

----

• parakeet
    parakeet

Good things learned:

While a dub -- zilch.

Afterwards -- never trust a dub.

• Farkel
    Farkel

lol@parakeet!

Good thing learned as a dub: they were full of shit.

Good thing learned after being a dub: they are still full of shit.

Farkel

• outofthebox
    outofthebox

Excellent thread. There are some good things in the JW land. Let's be fair. Not everything is bad, otherwise nobody will join.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit