I called my mom.

by lisavegas420 28 Replies latest jw friends

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

After more than 20yrs without a relationship....after more than 5yrs without hearing a word from her, I called.

Out of the blue, I just called.

me: Hi, mom, it's me lisa

mom: Oh, hi.

me: well, it's been a long time, I just wanted to check and see how you and dad were.

mom: we're fine.

the conversation ranged from, the weather, my husband, my children and grandchildren, (whom she's never met) my animals, gardening. We talked about how dad was doing now, (after a stroke) how he walks with a cane, and uses an electric wheel chair when they go to Walmart. We talked about the economy, and my husband applying for Social Security as he will turn 65 this year. We talked about my daughter finishing up her accounting degree in the spring. We talked about my son, and how I worry about how much he drinks.

We talked about my siblings, and my nieces and nephews.

After about 20minutes, she said, that she needed to freshen up her coffee,...and I said, I needed to get ready for work.

We said goodbye. No I love you's, or I miss you. But all in all it was a pleasant conversation.

Not one mention about of religion, or JW's anything.

I think I'll call her again next month.

~just sharing~

lisa

• cluless
    cluless

Why not call next week ?

• dutchstef
    dutchstef

I have the same with my father, I call him twice a year. It feels like talking to a ghost from the past.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Next week might be a little too soon. Weird I know...I talk to my own children everyday. But it's like I really don't know my parents.

I had to work myself up to that phone call. I thought I'd have an anxiety attack. But it turned out ok.

Maybe I'll send her some pictures of my grandchildren and some family snapshots of all of us together.

It easier to talk to complete strangers....I wish it wasn't like that, but it is.

I'm working on it though

lisa

• The-Borg
    The-Borg

5 Years! Lisa I feel for you, I really do. Personally I wouldn't call them. I would never ever do that to my daughter, period.

But you have to do what you feel is best.

Love to you.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I didn't call them...for years. Of course they'd never call me. I told my husband if something happened to me, I didn't want him calling them.

They moved...to another state without telling me. I found out when I looked them up on-line.

I can't go more than a day or so without talking to my grown children, and grandchildren....but the borg does weird things to people's minds.

If I don't call....they never will.

I was more worried about being preached at...but that didn't happen. I was glad....which is why I thought I'd call again next month. What if their normal now. ...ok ...that might be a bit much to ask for.

lisa

• mouthy
    mouthy

Good for you Lisa. I do the same with my daughter once in a blue moon.
    I always tell her I love her.she never tells me the same. We talk about her kids
    her hubby( who has cancer) her friends( all jws) Once I mentioned we mustnt
    judge folks or we will be judged that way.... & she said Goodbye!
    That was because she had told her daughter ( not baptized)that she was
    getting used to being the only one in the family that was going to survive Armeggedon.
    This is a free country ,,,,UNTIL we joined the WT,then it became a Watchtower Land.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

Sad situation. The Watchtower Organization contributes to mental health problems and lack of normal love between family members. Maybe it will all 'come out in the wash' someday.

Hang in there.

Outaservice

• SuspiciousMinds
    SuspiciousMinds

Good for you for calling, Lisa. That must be so hard for you.

I'd like to break free from the WTS, but I know my parents would treat me the same way, and I don't know if I could handle it.

"...having no natural affection..." - but of course this is only something displayed by "worldly" people...

SM

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I realize now, that what I really want is...to be able to have a normal "family" relationship with my mother, like I have with my daughter.

My daughter just left here. she dropped by after dropping one of the grandkids off at school..

..We talked about her new stove, we talked about the grandchildren, whom I haven't seen since YESERDAY, and about the oldest grandaugher being asked by a neighbor to come over and practice the Saxaphone on HER porch because..... she's said she missed hearing her kids practice when they lived at home. (Isn't that sweet?)

....thanks you all for being there.

lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit