Do you think JW's really know the "Truth" about the "Truth"?

by Quirky1 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

No.

Most of my JW friends don't even know what the WT teaches--outside of the basics. More specifically, they don't care. For example, lots of JWs don't recognize that the WT teaches that only JWs can survive the Battle of Armageddon. Also, many don't understand the generation doctrine. Most have no clue about the wacky teachings in the Revelation "Climax" book (trumpet blasts==district conventions, etc.).

It's difficult (and pointless) to explain flaws in WT doctrine to a JW who doesn't even understand the doctrine!

You know, I think the lack of "spirituality" among today's JWs actually benefits the WT Society. As long as they don't dig deep enough to see the flaws in the teachings, most are content to take the path of least resistance and muddle along as JWs.

• minimus
    minimus

I think many see SOME flaws but are conditioned to "wait" on Jehovah.

• happpyexjw
    happpyexjw

Wow! This is an interesting question and some of the repsonses have been very revealing to me. I left in 1991 by simply withdrawing and staying away. I was very quiet about it because I had children who were minors and still "in" and did not wish to put them through any more trauma if I could avoid it. Their father was already DF'd at the time and we were divorcing -- I didn't think they needed to deal with a DF'd mom as well. Anyway, I digress.

In my case, I was really in. I had been quite active, participated in meetings a lot, service, parts on conventions, aux. pioneer, etc. For me, it was the failure of the society to deal with a pedophile on my husband's side who had molested my kids that really started me having doubts about the wts. In the past I had some dealings with elders who were real jerks, but I told myself and others that these were imperfect men and did not reflect the standards of God and the visible representative of his organization on earth - the wts. When things were hard to accept, I further told myself that Jesus had said it would be hard to follow him and that our relatives would turn against us or be separated from us. (My mom, brothers and sister were all DF'd for various reasons)

At the time I left I still believed many of the things I had been taught and for years had nightmares about Armageddon and being on the wrong side. I am happy to say that as time passed, I have come to understand that the so-called "truth" is full of errors and maybe even lies. Most of the people I knew in my 30 years of being "in" were believers. I think over time we became conditioned to accepting what we were told, such as the more people persecute you the more proof you have that you are in the true religion. The same holds true of world events. Every disaster, war or corrupt politician is touted as further proof of the truth of the wts teachings. And to be honest, I think for some, not all there is a smug self-righteousness that comes from thinking you are in the one true religion.

I am sure there are many who have some doubts about various things but are afraid to bring them up for fear of being punished. I know now, that this is further evidence that this is not the true faith. Truth can stand up to the closest of scrutiny and we should never fear asking questions about what we don't understand. Based on what we know about the life and teachings of Jesus Christ I cannot imagine him punishing anyone for asking questions about something they did not understand. My only regret is that it took me so long to see these things. I feel very sorry for all the good, sincere people who are still caught up in this. Steve2 -- you shouldn't call these people morons -- they deserve not to be judged, just as you do.

• oompa
    oompa

AMEN to Olin Moyles!........many may not believe belive it is the truth...that is is gods group....but many, many, many of them do not believe every facet of the faith, and that used to be taboo.......so many ignore the not speaking to df it is a joke........I actually had a group of youngins out in field service and stop at my place when they saw me and my DF son in the yard....EVERYONE of them hugged and talked to him just like old friends......even my own mom refuses to shun him because she believes no JW kid should be allowed to be baptised (man do i wish they all felt that way)

and ya olin...how can you even try to open their eyes a bit when the do not even know wtf they are SUPPOSED to be beleiving!?!?!?

there is such a vast dont care attitude out there it is amazing.......i wonder how many REALLY study hard anymore?....even just for the meetings?..........oompa

• Quandry
    Quandry

Isn't it interesting that JWs are so afraid of the word "apostate" that they can't even discuss their own history with another JW. Just mentioning Russell and his interest in pyramids in connection with 1914 or Rutherford and Beth Sarim and his cadillacs could call into question your loyalty to the organization.

• SouthCentral
    SouthCentral

I remember the sign at Dodger stadium. My ride yelled at me for looking at them. They said, DON'T read that!!! The powerfull thought police. I eventually read the 1968 WT regarding 1975 and the doubts began as a teenager. When the Generation teaching changed, that was the icing on the cake.

To answer your question, NO...they have NO idea..as I did NOT.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

I agree with OnTheWayOut. Although I think there is probably more than a few that are in for the family and friends that they would lose if they admitted they had doubts. I think the ones with doubts are the ones that are missing meetings and finding excuses for not being there. The people that are super involved are still believing.

This is what I have observed withing my own family. And there is tremendous pressure to "stay in" due to family relationships. My mothere had to admilt to her family that we were no longer JWs when my father died suddenly. I forced the issue because I refused to allow her to have a JW funeral. I don't believe that she ever forgave me for that. It wasn't that she still believed any of the JW teachings. She just did not want to tell her family that we were "out". (We lived in another state so they really didn't know that our family was no longer attending.) I believe that my mother would have stayed a JW in name only for the rest of her life just to maintain relationships with her family if it had not been for this incident.

• steve2
    steve2

Apathy - NOT apostasy- will be the Watchtower's biggest enemy in terms of keeping people in.

• Hobo Ken
    Hobo Ken

Steve2- IMO you are spot on re. the apathy factor. If the "strong" believers who are parents and older ones are starting to get apathetic then this will filter down to the next generation who know little and care even less about the doctrines of JW's regardless of whether they are true or false.

I found that the younger gen of people at least in our circuit are as bad if not worse than their "worldly" peers with their conduct, which means that to them the "truth" is more or less the curious social domain they inhabit. Who will fill the future positions of spiritual responsibility in the Borg? These young ones who have little knowledge , hardly any morals and who progressively are more apathetic than the last gen.

The ones who truly believe it's the truth, may waken up , they may not. But while the internet is most definately an enemy of the wtbs the real enemy is the passage of time. In a religion which is most certainly NOT the truth it CANNOT motivate the misled forever and the fact they have no real Christian faith means it will falter. It's only a matter of time.

My Blog.

http://deathorobedience.blogspot.com

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit