Resume help

by loosie 20 Replies latest jw friends

• loosie
    loosie

Ok I need some help here. To use spaces or not to use spaces that is the question.

When writing your resume and you use hyphens in the dates, do you write them like this

2002-2007 or like this 2002 - 2007 ?

when you write the words 10 key do you write it

10-key or 10 - key ?

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I don't think you put spaces,

but,

I imagine there is help online for writing up resumes.

good - luck,

purps

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

If your resume consists of typical JW jobs like mopping floors I don't think it will matter much.

• loosie
    loosie

Thanks Jimmy but I have a background in accounting and technical support. I have never mopped a floor for pay in my life.

Thanks Purps. I found both ways online, I was just wondering which one is correct.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Get a UPI style book and follow that.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

The real question seems to be: How do you type the word "resume" and insert that little dash above the "e"?

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Loosie,

This reminds me of a sales ticket I was designing for a furniture store I worked at. It was pretty involved ticket and we had meetings with all the depts that would be involved with using the ticket.......bookkeeping, sales, warehouse, the customer. It was a very drawn out process.

To my shock, the biggest dispute we got in was whether we should do the phone numbers with dots or dashes 555.555.1212 555-555-1212.

I could not believe it, dashes won though, I was for dots.

purps

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I'm with purps on the dots in the phone numbers. I resisted it for a few years (about 12 years ago) but have switched to using dots nearly all the time.

To the original question... I don't know if there is a 'correct' way to do the date thing but I usually see resume's with spaces on either side of the dash when presenting a date range. When hyphenating a word, like 10-key, no space.

Professional resume preparer put extra spaces for the dates on my most recent resume (ie: 2004 - 2006)

-Aude.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower
    How do you type the word "resume" and insert that little dash above the "e"?

the way to do that is to hold down the CTRL and the single quote mark and the e at the same time to get é or the accent mark è

so resume becomes résumé.

and just to comment on the date range issue. If you are designing your résumé to be scannable, then simpler the better....and the extra space between the date and the dash makes it easier for OCR to read.

Snakes ()

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

That's why I love this board. I learn something every time I come here. Thanks, Snakes. Now I can do the Spanish accents, too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit