A belief in an afterlife is the most dangerous of all beliefs

by Awakened at Gilead 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

This is an essay I am posting on Freeminds... I'm posting it here too for good measure...

It is well known that the 9-11 attackers had a belief in an afterlife. As the story goes, apparently they believed that after they would die gloriously, having killed thousands of American infidels, they would be taken into paradise and would enjoy the company of 72 virgins.

I think it is quite easy to see the connection between the belief in such an afterlife and the nefarious deeds that these men committed. I seriously doubt that they would allow their lives to evaporate in smoke if they believed that such an afterlife would not exist.

While in no way am I comparing Jehovah's Witnesses to terrorists, they do share a strong belief in an afterlife. While JWs stray away from the term "afterlife", they do emphasize 2 potential hopes for mankind: an immortal life of power and bliss living alongside Christ in the heavens for the anointed, and a hope of eternal life on a utopian idealistic paradise earth free from the problems of today's "wicked system of things".

Why do I believe that these beliefs are dangerous, so much so that I invoke the memory of the 9-11 terrorists? Think about some things that JWs are asked to do, and their motivation to do so:

1. JWs are explicitly told to live their lives for the "real life", the life to come in their supposed paradise earth or rule in heaven. This changes their priorities in life.

2. JWs are told that secular higher education is not desirable. One of the society's main arguments against higher education is that this world will soon be destroyed. What use will a univrsity degree be in the new system? Again, the society keeps JWs focused on the future, on the benefits of the afterlife, to influence their current lives.

3. Blood: I would hazard a guess that more JWs have died from refusing blood than the number of persons who died at 9-11. Why will JWs refuse life-saving blood treatment? Some may go so far as to yank the IV administering the blood out from their body, or even from their children's bodies. They would prefer a "glorious" death than suffer the violation of their bodies that would be caused by a blood transfusion. I use the word glorious with a hint of sarcasm. Yet the word is apropos, given that those who die faithfully due to rejecting blood are viewed as heroes by their local congregations, and some have even been featured in the Watchtower as a result.

What motivates them to reject blood, even at the cost of their lives? A belief in an afterlife. JWs are taught that even if the blood may save their life now, their "eternal future" is at stake, so even if they die from rejecting a blood transfusion, they will be ressurrected on the paradise earth. They will feel no more pain.

In a sense then, for JWs, life is cheap. It does not matter if they die, since they will wake up instantly in the new world. I can imagine that some "anointed" ones who sincerely believe in their hope, cannot wait for death. While they know that suicide is wrong, if they get sick, do they decide to avoid medical treatment, thinking that 'it doesn't matter if I die, since I'm going straight to heaven, so the sooner the better...'. Perhaps sich a person would decide not to take care of his health through diet and exercise, since 'it doesn't matter, I'll be immortal soon enough'.

Even for those JWs of the "other sheep" can be infected with such a viewpoint. I can imagine that quite a few long time JWs are quite dissapointed that this system has gone on for so long, and probably never considered that they will ever become of retirement age, or even face a nursing home. When they do get sick, do they lose their will to live, since the sooner they die, the sooner they will open their eyes in the sure to come paradise.

A deprecation of the present is common to mass movements. Eric Hoffer's book, "The True Believer", demonstartes that mass movements in general share this belief, thus not limited to JWs at all, or even to religious systems, as they teach: "To lose one's life is but to lose the present, and, clearly, to lose a defiled, worthless present is not to lose much." (Hoffer, p. 69).

And a belief in an afterlife is probably what keeps some JWs in the organization, or even controls the lives of some who have left the organization but who live in perpetual fear of Armageddon. This is expressed in the questions that JWs put to anyone who reveals that he/she may be leaving the JW organization:

"Where else will you go?"
    "What if you are wrong?"

Both of these questions are wrapped up in a concept of an afterlife. The first one, as it is well known, is a misquoting of Peter's words to Jesus, "who else will I go to?". The relationship with the afterlife can be seen in Peter's next words: "You have syings of everlasting life". So when a JW asks someone who is leaving: "where else will you go?" the implication may be that 'you are losing out on your opportunity of everlasting life'. Again, a belief in the afterlife, a paradise earth, is dangled precariously as the proverbial carrot, and this may keep some doubting JWs shackled to their faith.

The second question, "what if you are wrong?" is a frequent question, and is a variation on "Pascal's wager". [Google it if you are not familiar with the term]. A person who still believes in the JW afterlife may be scared by this question, and perhaps this belief jolts him/her into thinking that returning to the organization would be best, even if it is a half-hearted return, in order to secure his/her place in paradise.

Yet the person who realizes the mind control tactics going on here can see through the ploy. Imagine a person who does not believe in an afterlife. What happens at death? Simply put: nothing at all. Nonexistence. While a belief in an afterlife is comforting when a loved one dies, it is by no means guaranteed. No one has returned from the dead to tell us what to expect. The only thing that is guaranteed is nonexistence.

So, what if I am right? I know that when I die, I will decompose, never to think or breathe again (quite a painful thought, as a JW, to confront my own mortality, but that is a story for another essay).

So what if I am wrong? Well, then most likely, I will have the same outcome as in the above paragraph, at least in a JWs opinion. I will be merely nonexistent.

So I cannot lose, because either way, my outcome will be the same. I have nothing to fear from death, as I am guaranteed at least the same end-result. Of course, this does not mean that I would not like for there to be an afterlife. I would LOVE for there to be a utopian paradise or a heavenly blissful place! Who wouldn't? Well, maybe, some wouldn't. Me and my JW mindset want me to live forever... but I know its not true.

Of course, if there is a God, and he would want to keep me alive after death, since I don't think I'm that eveil of a person, so be it. But I'm not counting on it. So how does a disbelief in an afterlife enrich my life?

• I see this life, not as crap, but as valuable. I have one shot at this life, so I am damn well going to make the most of it.
    • Education is valuable! I am currently studying to get a masters degree in Public Administration, as I want to make a difference in people's lives.
    • I want to extend my life as much as possible. This means taking good care of myself, eating well, getting physical activity, and seeking good medical care when I am sick.
    • I think love is important. When I realized that my love life was seriously lacking, I ended that relationship, and moved on. I am now in an awesome relationship, and I could not be happier. I made this decsion, knowing that my life will only last at best, perhaps another 30 or 40 years, and I want to spend it with someone I love, rather than with someone who cannot tolderate my viewpoints on life.

Eric Hoffer's unintentional parallel with JWs is striking with his next statement, as he continues discussing mass movements:

"Not only does a mass movement depict the present as mean and miserable - it deliberately makes it so. It fashions a pattern of individual existence that is dour, hard, repressive and dull. It decries pleasures and comforts and and extols the rigorous life. It views ordinary enjoyment as trivial or even discreditable, and represents the pursuit of personal happiness as immoral. To enjoy oneself is to have truck with the enemy - the present."

I lived like that as a JW for over 30 years. I decided to never fall into such a monotonous meaningless life again!

So, if you are fearing losing out on an afterlife, get on with your life. As the Atheist Bus Campaign says: "There probably is no god..." so enjoy life, and live it to the fullest! And don't let a belief in an afterlife interfere with your enjoyment of the present!

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Naw AG you are wrong. Its not the belief. It is basing your life around and unfounded belief that sucks (or may not suck) for you. In extreme examples that might suck for other people too. Then again basing your life on a founded belief might suck for other people as well.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Thanks, Lance.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Very inspiring, Lance. I'm still holding out hope for more after I die, though. But hell yeah- make the most of it now.

• oompa
    oompa

i pretty much love that 72 virgin idea!.....just dammmm!........oompa

i am on my knees facin Mecca right now.........

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    pretty much love that 72 virgin idea!.....

Not all they are cracked up to be. 72 "'sluts'" now that is an afterlife i can get behind.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi AAG,

Interesting stuff. Here are a few things I though.

I think it is quite easy to see the connection between the belief in such an afterlife and the nefarious deeds that these men committed. I seriously doubt that they would allow their lives to evaporate in smoke if they believed that such an afterlife would not exist.

I doubt Hitler believed in an afterlife but IMHO now he does. It is not the belief in the afterlife which counts but the belief in what to do in the present life before it which matters most.

While in no way am I comparing Jehovah's Witnesses to terrorists, they do share a strong belief in an afterlife. While JWs stray away from the term "afterlife", they do emphasize 2 potential hopes for mankind: an immortal life of power and bliss living alongside Christ in the heavens for the anointed, and a hope of eternal life on a utopian idealistic paradise earth free from the problems of today's "wicked system of things".

IMHO the WT are spiritual terrorists, and the JWs are spiritually terrorized and terrorize others.

1. JWs are explicitly told to live their lives for the "real life", the life to come in their supposed paradise earth or rule in heaven. This changes their priorities in life.

Yes that is biblically wrong. Numerous verses against living your life like that.

2. JWs are told that secular higher education is not desirable. One of the society's main arguments against higher education is that this world will soon be destroyed. What use will a univrsity degree be in the new system? Again, the society keeps JWs focused on the future, on the benefits of the afterlife, to influence their current lives.

Another false biblical doctrine/false teaching again.

3. Blood: I would hazard a guess that more JWs have died from refusing blood than the number of persons who died at 9-11. Why will JWs refuse life-saving blood treatment? Some may go so far as to yank the IV administering the blood out from their body, or even from their children's bodies. They would prefer a "glorious" death than suffer the violation of their bodies that would be caused by a blood transfusion. I use the word glorious with a hint of sarcasm. Yet the word is apropos, given that those who die faithfully due to rejecting blood are viewed as heroes by their local congregations, and some have even been featured in the Watchtower as a result.

Another false biblical doctrine/false teaching again.

"Where else will you go?"
    "What if you are wrong?"

Both of these questions are wrapped up in a concept of an afterlife. The first one, as it is well known, is a misquoting of Peter's words to Jesus, "who else will I go to?". The relationship with the afterlife can be seen in Peter's next words: "You have syings of everlasting life". So when a JW asks someone who is leaving: "where else will you go?" the implication may be that 'you are losing out on your opportunity of everlasting life'. Again, a belief in the afterlife, a paradise earth, is dangled precariously as the proverbial carrot, and this may keep some doubting JWs shackled to their faith.

I dunno. Most to most JWs it means "what are you gonna do if you leave the org, no family, no friend, no life, no hope". So it is about this life once again, not the next. Peter was talking about this life too.

Yet the person who realizes the mind control tactics going on here can see through the ploy. Imagine a person who does not believe in an afterlife. What happens at death? Simply put: nothing at all. Nonexistence. While a belief in an afterlife is comforting when a loved one dies, it is by no means guaranteed. No one has returned from the dead to tell us what to expect. The only thing that is guaranteed is nonexistence.

There are numerous. Have a look on YouTube. Even better look on here http://www.tangle.com I wouldn't trust all of them but that said many have common themes.

So, what if I am right? I know that when I die, I will decompose, never to think or breathe again (quite a painful thought, as a JW, to confront my own mortality, but that is a story for another essay).

So what if I am wrong? Well, then most likely, I will have the same outcome as in the above paragraph, at least in a JWs opinion. I will be merely nonexistent.

Annihilationism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia That is one of the worst and most non biblical of the WT "teachings", save those on Jesus Himself.

So I cannot lose, because either way, my outcome will be the same. I have nothing to fear from death, as I am guaranteed at least the same end-result. Of course, this does not mean that I would not like for there to be an afterlife. I would LOVE for there to be a utopian paradise or a heavenly blissful place! Who wouldn't? Well, maybe, some wouldn't. Me and my JW mindset want me to live forever... but I know its not true.

Nothing to fear from/after death is totally non biblical as I have mentioned.

1 Corinthians 15:55 (New International Version)

55 "Where, O death, is your victory?
    Where, O death, is your sting?

Why would death have a sting if one just ceases to exist?

Why would Jesus write this?

Matthew 10:28 (New International Version)

28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

Notice that Jesus refers to two different types of death, the first is the physical death of the body (first death) and the second is where the soul dies also with the body (second death).

Much is written about the first and the second death but here is a good place to start.

Revelation 20:10-15 (New International Version)

10 And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

The Dead Are Judged
    11 Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. Earth and sky fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. 12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. 13 The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done. 14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. 15 If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire. Sounds totally horrific. JWs tell the second death lake of fire is symbolic but that Armageddon mentioned in the previous verse 9 is not!
    • I see this life, not as crap, but as valuable. I have one shot at this life, so I am damn well going to make the most of it.
    • Education is valuable! I am currently studying to get a masters degree in Public Administration, as I want to make a difference in people's lives.
    • I want to extend my life as much as possible. This means taking good care of myself, eating well, getting physical activity, and seeking good medical care when I am sick.
    • I think love is important. When I realized that my love life was seriously lacking, I ended that relationship, and moved on. I am now in an awesome relationship, and I could not be happier. I made this decsion, knowing that my life will only last at best, perhaps another 30 or 40 years, and I want to spend it with someone I love, rather than with someone who cannot tolderate my viewpoints on life.

I agree with all these points and say they are all biblical and what God wants for us.

"Not only does a mass movement depict the present as mean and miserable - it deliberately makes it so. It fashions a pattern of individual existence that is dour, hard, repressive and dull. It decries pleasures and comforts and and extols the rigorous life. It views ordinary enjoyment as trivial or even discreditable, and represents the pursuit of personal happiness as immoral. To enjoy oneself is to have truck with the enemy - the present."

I believe I am part of the church i.e. born-again believers. None of these descriptions apply, quite the opposite IMHO.

I lived like that as a JW for over 30 years. I decided to never fall into such a monotonous meaningless life again!

Cool! Like you said, you have one life, its precious so use it and value it.

So, if you are fearing losing out on an afterlife, get on with your life. As the Atheist Bus Campaign says: "There probably is no god..." so enjoy life, and live it to the fullest! And don't let a belief in an afterlife interfere with your enjoyment of the present!

I saw a bus with that in London. I was mad. My campaign would be

They say 'there probably is no god' because they can't prove it so maybe you should ask God if He exists? He wants you to enjoy life, live it to the fullest! Belief in an afterlife will not interfere with your enjoyment of the present! God says this

John 10:10 (New Century Version) A thief comes to steal and kill and destroy, but I came to give lifeā€”life in all its fullness.

All the best,

Stephen

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

"they would be taken into paradise and would enjoy the company of 72 virgins."

TRUE TRUE all true. BAD NEW: the SAME 72 by all the members of heaven, SLOPPY seconds for most, sadly.

P

• sacolton
    sacolton

"they would be taken into paradise and would enjoy the company of 72 virgins."

TRUE TRUE all true. BAD NEWS: the SAME 72 by all the members of heaven, SLOPPY seconds for most, sadly.

WORSE NEWS: Those 72 female virgins are actually goats.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Wt doctrine= soul snatchers

Lance, very well written and succinctly stated.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit