Which group would you say J-dubs hate more?

by awaken2004 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• awaken2004
    awaken2004

Catholics or Born Again Christians?

I know someone who doesn't believe the J-dub doctrines but anytime he talks to a non-witness about religion he takes on this arrogant attitude that

the witnesses know more about the bible than any other religion. It is the oddest thing to me because he has no intention of ever being a witness

again yet to people of other religions he acts as if the dubs are the best. He especially hates the Catholic religion.

The witnesses really seem to dislike catholics and born agains the most and I just wanted to hear different opinions as to why.

• Roddy
    Roddy

Traditionally it used to be Catholics because the Catholic Church was a big target. And the Rutherford legacy left the taste that when it came to disgusting Christendom, the Catholic Church is the representative bad guy for everything Christendom.

Lately it has been shifting to Born Agains. As the JWs seem to be more and more "mainlining", to lack a better turn, they have less reason to pick a quarrel with the Catholic Church but more so with Born Agains as they tend to be more controversial and more difficult to pidgeon-hole on issues. They present a moving target. And the WTS seem to hate moving targets. Those that prefer a more lively religion and personal religion will find the Born Agains an attractive alternative. So I'd say the Born Agains are more on the gun site than the Catholic Church had in the past.

Just my opinion.

• villabolo
    villabolo

Very well put Roddy. Another thing is that born agains try to preach to JWs giving them a dose of their own medicine. Witnesses resent being witnessed to.

• blondie
    blondie

Catholics without a doubt. Rutherford especially targeted the pope and the church.

• hopelesslystained
    hopelesslystained

definitly, catholics.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Ephesians 2:8 and 9. That is used by the born-agains to put a big hole in the witless doctrine that salvation is by going out in field circus.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

JW's "encourage" Bible reading. While that's not true, it's what they say. Born-agains generally read the Bible.
    Catholics generally do not read the Bible. WTS has always seen them as fertile soil for conversion and made
    them a huge target. Born-agains are too knowledgeable to easily sway, so they are not such a big target.

On the personal side, I get what you mean. Catholics are generally not very concerned with religion while
    born-agains are still involved, think about spiritual stuff. JW's that meet people don't mind meeting the ignorant
    Catholic, but hate to meet up with a knowledgeable fundy.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

It's hard to say which they hate more. They hold Catholics in contempt because most Catholics know little about the bible, making it difficult to defend their faith. On the other hand, Born Agains know their bibles pretty well and are more intimidating to JWs. Most JWs I knew avoided lengthy discussions with Born Agains. Catholics were the preferred target because they were easier prey.

W

• recovering
    recovering

The group they hate most is us for leaving their fantasy world

• viva
    viva

I would say that the Catholics had been more hated, they are a large single organization with a figurehead, so it is easy to pick on them.

I would say this is changing though. A lot of theists who leave the JWs go to churches I guess you would count as born-agains. They want to go to heaven and that allows them to have this belief. I know some exJWs go Catholic, but I would guess more turn to other christian faiths.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit