Did you convert to become a JW?

by sacolton 27 Replies latest jw friends

• sacolton
    sacolton

What denomination did you originally belong to before becoming a Jehovah's Witness?

I was Methodist.

I was horrified when attending my first JW meeting and hearing the simple piano music over the speakers ... compared to the live orchestra performed at the Methodist church. That took some time getting used to.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

I was raised in the craziness but decided to take the plunge as a teenager just in case it was true. Besides, what's the worst that could happen? Ha...if I could turn back time...oh well.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Born in, not baptised.

My wife was Anglican. I made the mistake of introducing her to the cult and now I am the bad guy cos I busted the bOrg lying to me.

I had to remind her a few days ago, that we are both apostates.

Cheers

Chris

• Adrianoblue
    Adrianoblue

hi sacolton,

i was raised as a protestant, but my parents were`nt really church goers. as a child i attended the sunday school which was based on the christian faith. so really speaking, until the age of 20 (the time as someone knocked on my door ; ) ) i wasn`t sure whether god existed or not. i more or less followed the average way of a church member, without any, or hardly bible knowledge.

the jw brother who knocked on my door that day, left a blue book behind called "creation or evolution". i think i read that book in one night. although i had no real interest in biology and science, it did one thing though: it changed my life completely. not in a day, weeks or months, but gradually. since reading that book, i was totally convinced (still am) that god is a reallity. i know this might not be very popular to say on this board, but i`m trying to be honest.

funny enough, the last book i read was from the author richard dawking, with the title "der gotteswahn" (i dont know the english title). although he is a convinced atheist and a very clever scientist, the book itself had the opposite effect to me, which means it supported my belief in god even more!

apart from this board, which i joined yesterday, i do not have any contact to any other ex-jws. it`s not that i don`t care, i just happen to live in a tiny town with hardly any ex-jws i know personally.

talking about former jws: one of the most weirdest things i ever experieced in the truth, was what happend to that brother who initially studied the bible with me. he was such a devotee, a special pioneer, an elder and a very recognized brother (later on he was one of most influential member in selters, germany). well, to make a long story short: he left the org and joined the catholic church. if you would have knowen that guy, it would have been the last thing you would expected from him. until this day, no one who knew him ever grasped how that could occur.

take care, adrianoblue

• Quandry
    Quandry

Yes, I was a Southern Baptist, and could see the rank hypocrisy in the late 1960's.

A witness at work, a young woman, started talking to me. She was very pretty, and had good morals. She told me that the world only had "about two more years." This was in 1973.

I wanted to please God. I wanted to live in a paradise, and I was upset about polution and the Vietnam War.The Witnesses seemed so sincere and unhypocritical.

If only I had dug a little deeper into the background of the JWs. But I was young and trusting. Got baptised at twenty-one. Was "in" over thirty years.

Can't seem to even think about any other religious groups now.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I was raised Catholic and converted to JW when I was 25.

purps

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

I was a non-practicing Catholic.

My mother became a JW about 1962 and always talked to me about it.

Once I got home from the Army in 1968 I was ready to accept the things from the WTBTS after seeing where the world had gone with Vietnam and the other events of the time.

I met my soon to be wife at a Circuit Assembly at a local high school that they used at the time..... through my mother. (my late wife was the only good thing that happened to me while being a JW........other than my wonderful daughter who is out of the claws of the cult also)

Problem was..........I bought into the mindset, hook, line and sinker! I became an obnoxious JW like so many others. The rest of the world would become bird shit and I gloated over it!

My goodness.......I surely have changed!

HappyDad

• suchafool
    suchafool

Was sorta raised Baptist.

My Dad past away in 1999 and one week after his funeral two witnesses knocked on my door. They caught me at the most vulunerable time in my life. My Dad was everything to me and I wanted answers. Thought they had it, took me 10 years later to seek the real truth about them and left last September.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

did my alter boy phase as a catholic

• parakeet
    parakeet

"What denomination did you originally belong to before becoming a Jehovah's Witness?...I was Methodist."

I was a child.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit