My wife was invited to the Memorial

by Big Tex 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

So here I am moving furniture from downstairs to upstairs and from upstairs to downstairs (yes I'm very sore today) when there comes a knock at the door. Two Witnesses, man and wife, that Nina has known since the 70's had come over to invite her to the Memorial. Never mind she hasn't talked or heard from then in over a decade.

They made a point of ignoring me, and spoke only to Nina. I suppose I should have been annoyed, but honestly I was amused more than anything. The man, a rather pompous elder, started with an obviously well rehearsed speech aimed at Nina being able to overcome being 'stumbled' over people who have "made mistakes". In particular he felt Nina should overlook how the Witnesses had treated her father.

He was referencing this letter that Nina wrote after his suicide in February 2003:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/scandals/47789/1/My-Letter-to-the-Elders-in-My-Late-Fathers-Congregation

Anyway, long story short, Nina kept her cool while Brother Arrogant was "inviting" her to the Memorial, although her face was turning from pink to bright red after a while. We invited them to stay for our son Jackson's 13th birthday party, which was going to start in about an hour. Not surprisingly they declined. As they left Nina asked them if they had read any of the "Harry Potter" books which caused a rather wild eyed look from them. In retrospect I wish I could have quoted some magic spell or something.

I threw the Memorial pamphlet out. Our daughter, Jennie, fished it out in order to burn it.

So I'm curious -- is there some special emphasis this year on Memorial invitations? I just wonder why they showed up out of the blue after 11 years. Kinda odd really.

Chris

• sacolton
    sacolton

Well, they gotta meet the quota to get more to reject the body and blood of Christ each year. Does it not warm your heart?

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Well I'm just thankful to Jehovah that, since it was a rainy and cold day, we could provide warmth and a comfy recliner for him to sit in while he kept his time going, and that he could count not just 1 but 4 return visits and feel smug and self-righteous all at the same time. I'd forgotten how the properly submissive elder's wife give the adoring-Pat Nixon-look while her hubby is lecturing someone weak in the faith.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

BigTex/Chris..Dubs are strange..Everyone in my family knows I have no use for the Cult..I used to get an invite every year..I would just look at them like they were "Stuck on Stupid".......Brother Arogant gets to count time with Nina,if she go`s it`s a bonus.....The main thing is,he gets to write something on his FS report..

Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

Well I'm just thankful to Jehovah that, since it was a rainy and cold day,

Thats why they stopped by. They probably ran out people to visit and then remembered that you lived in the area.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Tell them you'll be there .... invisibly.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

What? Mr. Elder didn't want any cake????

> Our daughter, Jennie, fished it out in order to burn it.

Sounds like a sharp kid there!

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Sounds like a sharp kid there!

Yeah, I know you have a tough time picturing Jennie do that.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

This year, as was the case over the past couple of years, the Witnesses have a quota of around 50 Memorial invitation tracts each to distribute.

• Chalam
    Chalam

"Tell them you'll be there .... invisibly"

LOL!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit