Elders, positions of trust?

by asilentone 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• asilentone
    asilentone

Flipper, I believe you. I have seen it all too.

• crazycate
    crazycate

Elders are a "hiding place from the wind," unless they aren't. Almost all aren't. Most have an agenda, or at least are biased. People they like get treated one way, people they don't get treated another. Most POs or whatever they are called now, think they are in charge of "their" congregation. They act like a sheriff rather than a shepherd. They like having a reputation of being a kick-ass PO who keeps his congregation clean. They want to look good to the CO.

When I talked to a friend about the damage a "bad" elder can do to people, she admitted that some have caused a lot of trouble and pain, but said that there are good ones. Well fabulous. How do we avoid the harmful ones? And why would a loving God allow such men to have positions of power over people? Friend answered that this can serve as a test of our loyalty, that we don't leave the organization just because of bad elders. So this is God's plan? To tell us to look to these men as a place of safety and help and then go, "Ha, Ha, got a bad one! Let's see how you handle that!"

Cate

• garybuss
    garybuss

Elders meet Scriptural requirements before being 'appointed by holy spirit.' Knowing this will strengthen your confidence in them. What you discuss with an elder will remain strictly confidential. Being trustworthy is one of his qualifications. (The Watchtower, March 1, 1997, p. 28)

"Note: Reports have been received where elders have revealed confidential matters to their wives or others in the congregation." (Pay Attention 1977 p.65)

"Sadly, in recent times it has been necessary to disfellowship tens of thousands of unrepentant wrongdoers each year. Prominent elders have been included among them." (Proclaimers, WTBTS 1993, p. 187)

• asilentone
    asilentone

GaryBuss, Many Thanks!

• asilentone
    asilentone

I would welcome more quotes, anyone?

• blondie
    blondie

You can trust that one of the elders on the body will tell his wife and then the cat is out of the bag.

• asilentone
    asilentone

I agree with you on that one, Blondie.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Not an elder quote, but reflective on the concept of "Spirit Directed Organization" . . .

"Jehovah sent good spirits, or righteous angels, to communicate with some humans before the Bible was completed. Since its completion, God's Word has provided the guidance humans need to serve Jehovah acceptably. (2 Timothy 3:16, 17; Hebrews 1:1, 2) He does not bypass his holy Word by giving messages to mediums. All such present-day messages from the spirit world come from wicked spirits." (Knowledge chap. 12 p. 112)

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Here are a few

*** w779/1p.527BeWise—ShunGreediness***

Were an elder or another appointed servant in the congregation to fall victim to greediness, he, like Gehazi, would lose his position of trust. More seriously, he might even forfeit his relationship with Jehovah.

***w7711/1p.670WhatDidtheWiseManMean?***

IncapablePersonsWhoGainPositionNottoBeEnviedIncompetence may at first not be recognized. Certain men have the ability to impress others with what appears to be keen insight. They may be selected to handle responsibilities, whereas men of real wisdom are overlooked. When unqualified persons are in a position of trust, others may be inclined to envy them. But, really, incompetent people are not to be envied. They are in constant danger of losing what they may have attained. Lacking the needed wisdom, they may in time be shown up for what they are and experience a terrible crash, to their hurt and disgrace.

• asilentone
    asilentone

very good catch, All Time Jeff!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit