Blondie's Comments You Will Not Hear at the 03-15-09 WT Study (DISCIPLE)

by blondie 15 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Comments You Will Not Hear at the 03-15-09 WT Study (December 15, 2008, pages 7-11)(DISCIPLE-MAKING)

Review comments will be in red
    WT material from today's WT will be in black
    Quotes from other sources will be in quotes boxes
    w = Watchtower
    g = Awake
    jv = Proclaimers book

Bible translations www.biblegateway.com/cgi-bin/bible
    WT publications www.strictlygenteel.co.uk
    WT child abuse www.silentlambs.org
    Blood issue www.ajwrb.org
    United Nations http://www.randytv.com/secret/unitednations.htm

Also posted on

http://exjehovahswitnessforum.yuku.com

www.jehovahs-witness.net

http://www.jwsupportforum.com/index.php

http://www.jehovahswitnessrecovery.com/

"Go therefore and make disciples."--MATT. 28:19

OPENING COMMENTS

Blondie was a regular pioneer for many years. Said to say I honestly helped some people to be jws, thinking it was saving their lives. What I did see though was many non-pioneers turn over to me people they had placed literature with or had said they would like to study. They would give the excuse that they did not have the time to conduct a study. Yes, why should they give up any of their recreational time! I found that few but the pioneers conducted studies. I didn't mind because it was easy time. Better to spend an hour or two chatting in a nice home with a few treats afterwards than making cold calls from door to door.

The thinking was that God did not require anyone to make a disciple to get everlasting life. That God would see to it that someone would look after the sheep, it did not have to be them personally.

The thinking was that it was the fault of the worldly people if they did not respond to the ho-hum, lack of love presentations of the rank and file.

Note in this article how the WTS gives a windup to conduct studies but then provides several excuses to explain the rank and file's failure to deliver. Remember all that matters is racking up "time" not results.

In my last congregation, the PO said from the platform that in the last 10 years, only one person had been baptized that was not a child of a jw, and that person had been disfellowshipped. How many businesses could survive with that increase of customers?

Q 1-3. (a) How do many feel about the opportunity to conduct Bible studies? (b) What questions will we consider?

"I HAVE been studying with a family from Pakistan for the past 11 weeks," wrote a sister who is serving with a Hindi-speaking group in the United States. "Needless to say," she continues, "we have become friends. Tears well up in my eyes as I think about this family going back to Pakistan soon. My tears are prompted not only by the sorrow I feel at the loss of their company but also by the joy I've experienced while teaching them about Jehovah."

How many foreign-speaking people study and become jws? Who continues the study, if at all, in Pakistan, a Muslim country. Are there congregations or jws in Pakistan, how many?

Why not teaching about Jesus?

2. Have you, like this sister, ever experienced the joy that comes from studying the Bible with someone? Jesus and his first ­century disciples found great joy in the disciple-making work. When the 70 disciples whom Jesus had trained returned with a joyful report, Jesus himself became "overjoyed in the holy spirit." (Luke 10:17-21) Similarly, many today find great joy in making disciples. In fact, in 2007, hard-working, happy
    publishers conducted an average of six and a half million Bible studies each month!

In my experience many jws side-stepped the "joy" of studying with someone (including their own children).

Many of these 6.5 million studies are reported as being with one's own children...being able to put 4 "easy" hours on their time slip. With 7 million jws, how many of these studies are with jw children?

Happy? So no one else is happy?

*** w99 10/1 p. 8 par. 13 “For Everything There Is an Appointed Time” ***
    Of course, the fact that Jehovah’s servants “weep” over the sorry state of world affairs does not preclude their being happy. On the contrary! They
    are actually the happiest group of people on earth.

3 Some publishers, though, have not yet had the pleasure of conducting a Bible study in recent years. What challenges might we face as we endeavor to conduct a Bible study? How might we overcome those challenges? And what rewards do we receive when we do all we can to obey Jesus' command: "Go therefore and make disciples”--Matt. 28:19.

Some....most is the reality because the avoid the "responsibility" or command. Are jws required to conduct studies?

Challenges--actually returning and in a timely fashion, not having forgotten what the person even looked like, let alone have written down their name.

Challenges That Could Rob Us of Joy

Q 4, 5. a) How do many people respond in some parts of the world? (b) What challenges do publishers face in some other places?

4. In certain parts of the world, people eagerly accept our literature and are keen to study the Bible with us. One couple from Australia who were temporarily staying in Zambia wrote: "The stories are true. Zambia is a preaching paradise. Street witnessing is incredible! People approach us, some even asking for particular issues of the magazines." In one recent year, the brothers and sisters in Zambia conducted over 200,000 Bible studies--that is, on average, more than one Bible study per publisher.

"eagerly" accept WT literature, where is the bible in this scenario?

How many people actually "read" the magazines? Do they suggest that they donate to the "worldwide work"?

Average does not mean that each publisher literally is conducting a study.

5. In other places, however, publishers may find it difficult to place literature and to conduct Bible studies regularly. Why? Often, people are not at home when a publisher knocks on their door, while those who are at home might be apathetic about religion. They may have been raised in a nonreligious household or may be repulsed by the hypocrisy evident in false religion. Many people have been spiritually injured--skinned and thrown about by false shepherds. (Matt. 9: 36) Understandably, such ones may be wary of becoming involved in discussions about the Bible.

People are not at home because the jws in those places come when people aren't home, during the day on weekdays and weekends. How many come during the evenings when people are more likely to be home. I wonder how repulsed they would be if they knew about the UN hypocrisy and the pedophile scandal in the WTS? How would they respond if they knew how jw shepherds operate, shielding pedophiles, marking and disfellowshipping members?

Q 6. With what limitations might some contend?

6. Some faithful publishers face a different challenge that could rob them of joy. Although they were at one time very active in the disciple-making work, they are now hampered by ill health or the limitations of old age. Consider, too, some limitations that we might impose upon ourselves. For example, do you feel unqualified to conduct a Bible study? You may feel as Moses did when Jehovah commissioned him to talk to Pharaoh. Moses said: "Excuse me, Jehovah, but I am not a fluent speaker, neither since yesterday nor since before that” (Ex. 4:10) Closely related to feelings of inadequacy is a fear of failure. We might worry that a person will not become a disciple because we are not the perfect teacher. Rather than risking that outcome, we might forgo the opportunity to conduct a study. How can we deal with the challenges just mentioned?

So how what constitutes "ill health" in the elders' judgment? How old do you have to be to play the old age card? Feel unqualified or really not want to put forth the time and effort?

Prepare Your Heart

Q 7. What motivated Jesus in his ministry?

7. A first step is to prepare our own heart. Jesus said: "Out of the heart's abundance [the] mouth speaks." (Luke 6:45) Jesus was motivated in his ministry by a heartfelt concern for the welfare of others. For example, when he observed the poor spiritual condition of fellow Jews, "he felt pity for them." He said to his disciples: "The harvest is great ... Beg the Master of the harvest to send out workers into his harvest."--Matt. 9:36-38.

If jws are not making effective return visits, are they showing "a heartfelt concern for the welfare of others"?

Q 8 (a) What do we do well to think about? (b) What can we learn from the comments of one Bible student?

8. As we engage in the disciple-making work we do well to think deeply about how much , we have benefited because someone took the time to study the Bible with us. Think, too, of the people we will meet in the ministry and how they will benefit from hearing the message that we bear. One woman wrote to the branch office of the country in which she lives: "I would like to tell you how much I appreciate the Witnesses who teach me at my home. I know that sometimes they must get frustrated with me because I have so many questions and I always keep them overtime. But they are patient with me and eager to share what they have learned. I thank Jehovah and Jesus that these people have come into my life."

How many jws are the children of jws and learned by osmosis rather than an bible study? So how do people benefit....what is the message they hear, if asked would they say that the kingdom of God is reigning in heaven and the end is near and that all non-jws will die?

Q 9. On what did Jesus focus, and how can we imitate him?

9. Of course, not everyone responded to Jesus' efforts to help them. (Matt. 23:37) Some followed him for a while but then objected to his teachings and "would no longer walk with him." (John 6:66) However, Jesus did not allow the unfavorable response of some to make him feel that his message was of no value. Although much of the seed he sowed bore no fruit, Jesus focused on the good he was doing. He saw that the fields
    were white for harvesting and derived great joy from helping in that harvest. (Read John 4:35,36.) Rather than seeing only the barren ground between the stalks of grain, can we likewise focus on the potential harvest in our assigned territory? Let us examine how we can maintain such a positive attitude.

Of course not everyone listened to Jesus = don't feel bad if few listen to you (despite the lack of effective prepartion by most jws)

seed bore no fruit--because most jws don't return to cultivate and water it. In fact many just try and place more literature (seed?)

Positive attitude--nothing ever changes, I heard these same "encouraging" thoughts for 40 years.

Sow With a View to Reaping

Q 10,11. What can you do to maintain your joy?

10. A farmer sows seed with a view to reaping a harvest. Similarly, we need to preach with a view to starting Bible studies. What, though, if you regularly spend time in the field ministry but find few people at home or seem unable to contact your return visits again? This can be frustrating. Should you give up on the door-to-door ministry? Certainly not! Many people are still contacted first via this time-tested method of preaching. Do jws preach with a view to starting studies....they don't want the responsibility and don't feel they need to to get everlasting life.

Give up because can't find people home--why not come by when people are likely to be home, or make an appointment rather than just stopping by...people are busy!

11 To maintain your joy, however, can you expand your preaching methods, perhaps to include other ways of reaching people? For example, have you tried witnessing to people on the street or at their places of employment? Could you contact people by telephone or obtain the phone numbers of those with whom you have already shared the Kingdom message so that you can stay in touch with them? By showing perseverance and adaptability in your ministry, you will experience the joy of finding individuals who will favorably respond to the Kingdom message.

Telephone witnessing--in my last congregation 5 to 6 sisters would gather around one telephone. There would be treats and conversation.

Where are the men in this enterprise?

You have to drag most jws kicking and screaming to do street or business witnessing. Many jws don't want to adapt and stick to their required few hours calling on people when they aren't home. After all you only need 1 hour a month (healthy jws) to qualify as active and worthy of everlasting life.

Coping With Apathy

Q 12. What might we do if many in our territory seem apathetic?

12 What if many in your territory are apathetic about religion? Can you adapt your approach to appeal to their interests? The apostle Paul wrote to fellow believers in Corinth: "To the Jews I became as a Jew ... To those without law I became as without law, although I am not without law toward God." What was Paul's motive? "I have become all things to people of all sorts," he said, "that I might by all means save some." (1 Cor. 9:20-22) Can we likewise find common ground with those in our territory? Many nomeligious people want to improve the quality of their family relationships. They may also be searching for a purpose in life. Can we present the Kingdom message to such people in a way that will appeal to them?

Is the WTS suggesting that jws "prepare" for door to door? Most have not even read the publications to know what is in them that might "appeal" to non-jws.

What is the kingdom message this month in the KM?

Fear displeasing God
    What is a good friend
    Born again
    Stress

Not a mention of "kingdom" or even "Jehovah" since the WTS substitutes "God" for that in their suggested presentations.

Q 13, 14. How may we be able to increase the joy we gain from the disciple-making work?

13. A growing number of publishers have increased the joy they gain from the disciple­making work, even in areas where the ma­jority of people seem apathetic. How? By learning a foreign language. One couple in their 60's discovered that thousands of Chinese students and their families were living in the congregation's assigned territory. "Because of this, we were encouraged to learn Chinese," says the husband. "Though this meant spending time each day studying the language," he continues, "it resulted in many Bible studies with Chinese people in our area."

How many people are progress to baptism? In this area there is a large Chinese population and in the last 15 years, only 1 person was ever baptized. How many were baptized in the account above.........did you notice that was left out?

14. Even if you are not able to learn a foreign language, you can make good use of the booklet Good News for People of All Nations when you meet those who speak another language. You can also usually obtain literature in the language of the people whom you meet. Granted, it requires extra time and effort to communicate with those of another language and culture. But do not overlook the principle found in God's Word: "He that
    sows bountifully will also reap bountifully."--2 Cor. 9:6.

How many had this booklet in their bookbag or remember what it was? How do you use literature you can't read yourself? How many jws will take "extra time and effort" if they don't want to take the time to conduct even one study?

The Entire Congregation Is Involved

Q 15, 16. (a) Why is the disciple-making work a congregation effort? (b) What role do elderly ones play?

15 However, making disciples is not dependent on the efforts of just one individual. Rather, it is a congregation effort. Why? Jesus said: "By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves." (John 13:35) And indeed, when Bible students attend meetings, they are often impressed with the loving atmosphere of our gatherings. One Bible student wrote: "I do so enjoy attending the meetings. The people are so welcoming!" Jesus said that those who become his followers may be opposed by their literal family. (Read Matthew 10:35-37.) However, he promised that in the congregation, they would gain numerous spiritual "brothers and sisters and mothers and children."--Mark 10:30.

Here is another out for individual jws.....even if they don't study with anyone, they can take credit for the work of other jws, all they have to do is show up at the meetings.

As to loving atmosphere, toward the end of my tour at the KH, I had a foreign-speaking student. She went to the meetings occasionally with me and we had interesting discussions. Evidently some of the sisters thought she wasn't making fast enough progress and approached her at a meeting when I was out of town and lambasted her. This woman said she would not go back and that she did not see the love Christ said would be there. I couldn't say a word because I knew that love was lacking. I did not think they would treat her like they had been treating me.

I had another student that did get baptized and she told me that the "love" ended when you were baptized. No one had time for her then because they could not "count" the time they spent with her.

"often" impressed--but not always!

16 Our elderly brothers and sisters especially play a vital role in helping Bible students to progress. In what way? Even if some elderly· ones are unable to conduct a Bible study themselves, their upbuilding comments at congregation meetings strengthen the faith of all who hear them. Their record of walking "in the way of righteousness" adds beauty to the congregation and attracts honest-hearted people to God's organization.-Prov.
    16:31.

If elderly can attend the meetings, why can't they have someone study with them?

God's organization--only WTS

Overcoming Our Fears

Q 17. What can we do to overcome feelings of inadequacy?

17. What if you struggle with feelings of inadequacy? Recall that Jehovah helped Moses by providing him with holy spirit and with a partner, his brother, Aaron. (Ex. 4:10-17) Jesus promised that God's spirit would back our witnessing work. (Acts 1:

So how does God provide holy spirit to jws today? Aaron did the talking; are we to suggest that people go door to door and not talk?

So will jws feel less indequate with some judgmental jw partner or on their own?

Q 18. How can we overcome the fear of failure?

18. How can we overcome the fear of failure? We do well to remember that making a disciple is not like making a meal in which success or failure depends primarily on one person--the cook. Rather, making a disciple involves at least a three-way partnership. Jehovah does the most important part, drawing the individual to him. (John 6:44) We and others in the congregation do our best to use the art of teaching to help the
    student progress. (Read 2 Timothy 2:15.) And the student needs to act on what he learns. (Matt. 7: 24-27) If a person discontinues his Bible study, we may be disappointed. We hope that Bible students make the right choice, but each individual must "render an account for himself to God."-Rom.14:12.

You can tell the writer of this article never cooked--or seen a chef at work, no one does it by themselves.

the right choice--be baptized as a jw, the only way to survive Armageddon.

What Are the Rewards?

Q 19-21. (a) What benefits do we receive from conducting Bible studies? (b) How does Jehovah view all who engage in the preaching work?

19. Conducting Bible studies keeps us focused on seeking first the Kingdom. It also impresses the truths of God's Word deeper upon our mind and heart. Why so? A pioneer named Barak explains: "Conducting Bible studies forces you to be a better student of God's Word. I find that I must strengthen my personal convictions before I can adequately teach someone else."

The real goal of the whole WTS program is not to find the sheep but to keep the current ones in.

20. If you are not conducting a Bible study, does it mean that your service is of no value to God? Of course not! Jehovah deeply appreciates our efforts to praise him. All who engage in the preaching work are "God's fellow workers." However, conducting a Bible study brings added joy as we see how God makes the seed that we planted grow. (1 Cor. 3:6, 9) "As you see a Bible student progress," says a pioneer named Amy, "you feel an over­whelming sense of gratitude to Jehovah for allowing you to be used to give that person a wonderful gift--the opportunity of knowing Jehovah and of receiving everlasting life."

Where is the gratitude to Jesus? The opportunity of knowing Jesus?

CARROT: Receiving everlasting life--the reason people become and stay jws

21. Doing our best to start and conduct Bible studies will help us to keep focused on serving God now and will strengthen our hope of surviving into the new world. With Jehovah's backing, we may also help to save those who listen to us. (Read 1 Timothy 4:16.) What a cause for joy that would be!

Doing our best--not required to get everlasting life.

Jehovah's backing--where's Jesus.

CARROT--surviving into the new world

Do You Recall?
    · What challenges might prevent some from conducting Bible studies?

· What might we do if many in our territory seem apathetic?

· What rewards do we receive from conducting a Bible study?

CONCLUDING COMMENTS

So don't imagine that jws are going to go out on Sunday to start a study. They will tell themselves that because they were at the meeting, they were doing their bit at the congregational level. How many of them have even studied with their own children, although putting the time on their slip.

After all, isn't it the non-jw's responsibility if they don't respond to the lackluster preparation of the publisher?

Next week, Are You A "Steward of God's Undeserved Kindness"? What is "undeserved kindness" per the WTS and what emotions does it bring up in the hearts of people?

Love, Blondie

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

thanks blondie

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

At last, an article whose sole purpose is not to confuse the flock. This one is designed to get people to hound people, pretend that the Washtowel methods are going to work, and expect the householders to give up their lives. They fail to realize that, if householders do not want to give up something or they research the organization and find it not the truth, they are going no farther. Plus, if they do something that blatantly betrays lack of love, they are going to lose the call forever.

• cawshun
    cawshun

Great work Blondi, I can't believe they spend there Sunday meeting on sale calls. How in the world can the jw's feel they are building a relationship with Jehovah when it's all about going out in service to bring in new deciples?

Talk about a con game for getting people to sell the WT material, best game in town!

• Mall Cop
    Mall Cop

Same old same old. Just the date has been changed.

Blueblades

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

What an absolute yawn. It's like a typical dull Service Meeting sales pep-talk article from the 'Our Kingdom Ministry' which for some reason has found its way into the Watchtower as a study article!

Absolutely pathetic if this is spiritual food at the proper time. Look at all the incredible events in the world and this is the best that the unimaginative, clueless old farts on the Writing Committee can serve up.

It's about as exciting as an insurance company weekly sales meeting; actually those are probably more interesting because at least business sales meetings aren't a question and answer thing read verbatim from a magazine.

There is something seriously wrong with these dullards to sit there year after year after year considering such tripe in a question and answer format for 45 mins on a Sunday. Good god.

• PanzerZauberei
    PanzerZauberei

Ms. Blondie, I always look forward to your gems each week. Thanks for taking the time to go over the material so thoroughly and pointing stuff out to us who have no access to the WT TP.

Lorenzo

• LUKEWARM
    LUKEWARM

Thanks for this Blondie!! Agree with Panzer, I too look forward to your insightful comments here each week.

Here are some of my observations:

Paragraph 2: "Have you ...ever experienced the joy that comes from studying the Bible with someone? Jesus and his first ¬century disciples found great joy in the disciple-making work"

Studying the Bible with people or is it the WTS interpretation of the Bible?

Is the work the same one Jesus commanded his disciples to do? Is the same message Jesus and Apostles taught being preached?

Paragraph 10: "...we need to preach with a view to starting Bible studies"

Did people in the first century need to study to become Christians? If so, what did they study and how much study was required of them to gain salvation? Studying that salvation is possible only through faith in Jesus or that they need to belong to an organization to be saved

Paragraph 11:"By showing perseverance and adaptability in your ministry, you will experience the joy of finding individuals who will favourably respond to the Kingdom message"

Does all that effort and perseverance really matter since salvation in the end depends on God seeing and searching the hearts?

Lukewarm

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

9. Of course, not everyone responded to Jesus' efforts to help them. (Matt. 23:37) Some followed him for a while but then objected to his teachings and "would no longer walk with him." (John 6:66)

This is the second time in a few weeks where this instance of Jesus' ministry has been cited. First, it was to explain why cease to be active JWs. This time it's used to explain why people don't respond to the door-to-door magazine peddling of JWs.

In both cases, the WTS reasons that some 'objected to some scriptural teaching' and ceased walking with Jesus. "Walking with Jesus" does not equate to being a Christian in the mind of this particular article writer. Rather, "walking with Jesus" means being a Jehovah's Witness, attending all their meetings, being baptised into their organisation, going from door-to-door preaching an unscriptural version of the 'good news', obeying the elders and Governing Body and not partaking of the memorial emblems.

OK, let's take a step back and examine the scriptural teaching that was objected to by the crowds who followed Jesus'

Most truly I say to you, ‘Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in yourselves. He that feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has everlasting life, and I shall resurrect him at the last day; for my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. He that feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood remains in union with me, and I in union with him.

The crowds following Jesus objected to partaking of his sacrifice. They rejected the meaning, symbol and value of Jesus' sacrificial death for them.

Is it just me, or is it completely bizarre and offensive that the WTBTS uses the 1st C rejection of Jesus sacrifice and re-models it to castigate those who leave the Organisation and those who reject the Watchtower literature when each year at their Memorial of Christ's death they doexactly the same thing?

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Par 18;

If a person discontinues his Bible study, we may be disappointed. We hope that Bible students make the right choice, but each individual must "render an account for himself to God."-Rom.14:12.

That is correct, everyone will render and account for himself to God.

But who is the judge?

John 5: 22 For the Father judges no one at all, but he has committed all the judging to the Son, 23 in order that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He that does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him.

How will your average Jehovah's Witness fair when he stands before the Judge, Jesus Christ, and explains why he didn't give him the same honour as he gave the Father (whom JWs believe to be Jehovah)? What sort of account will he give of himself? "Oh, well, I spent at least 10 hours per month placing magazines! Doesn't that count??" Hmm...a magazine that says on the front cover "Announcing Jehovah's Kingdom"?

Never mind a 'bible study' rejecting WTS teachings, what about Jehovah's Witnesses, by rote, rejecting Jesus Christ's sacrifice and elevating the "faithful and discreet slave" to a position of authority above him? ("Jehovah and the 'faithful and discreet slave' class are well pleased with their efforts".)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit