has anyone had any luck with a jw studying their history?

by cawshun 21 Replies latest jw friends

• cawshun
    cawshun

hubert, yes, I have read both books, I wish I could just hand them over to my kids to read but I don't think it would go over to good.

jws, your right they did claim 1874 as one of their worng dates also. It amazes me they kept getting it wrong and everyone still trust and believes the WT.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Anyone else find it interesting that they did the 1914/1915 switch and then, coincidentally, the big date of 1975 loomed large. 101 years after the orig. 1874 date-remember that missing year? Anyway, they are full of it, and the more you learn, the more you are aware of it.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

The last JW's that came to my door, I asked if before we started the study in their book, If they would show me where they started from. She said, "What do you mean?" I said, "What group did you break off from? Your history? How did the JW's get started?" She said, "She wasn't there for that, only to offer a bible study." I said, "Then can we use just the bible?" She said, "No, we have a book and a format to follow"

I said "I'd think about it." but......She never came back.

lisa

• cawshun
    cawshun

I guess all of us on the outside of the WT need to keep asking that same question to the jw's. Maybe one day something will click in their minds.

I know if I question my kids on this, they will know I'm being influenced by the devil and keep their distance. I can't take that chance, they hold all the card's, my grand-kids.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

small inroads with my wife. "If it's the truth, then why does it change"? is something I've brought up on occasion.

I talk with an old friend of mine on occasion, and he's the type of witness that accepts any present truth and dismisses anything old, and puts his fingers in his ears to anything different. The other day we were talking and he throws out "Well imperfect as it is, this is God's organization and the Bible proves it". I asked where in the Bible that it states that this corporation known as the Watchtower and Bible Tract Society is God's organization? What scripture is that? Of course he had no answer to that and anything from the past I brought up to him. I asked him how many times the Bible was re-written until they "got it right".

JW's never have answer for this and they mock others for believing what they do without scriptual proof

• t33ap80c
    t33ap80c

JWS said, "What I don't remember is whether they expected Jesus to come in 1874."

Russell did not begin to think that Jesus came in 1874 until 1876. That was when Nelson Barbour explained it to him. – "Proclaimers" book, p. 47.

Once Russell made the mistake of believing Barbour he taught that mistake for the rest of his life. From that moment on he told the world to stop looking FORWARD to the Second Coming Christ. Rather that since Jesus already came in 1874 that therefore Christians should stop looking forward but rather to look BACKWARD to 1874 for that event. Russell never expected Jesus to come in 1914 to begin his invisible presence.

If Jesus did in fact come in 1914 it means Russell was responsible for causing everyone who listened to him to miss the most important Event in the history of the Christian religion since the First Coming of Christ - i.e. the Second Coming of Christ.

I think it is fair to wonder why Jehovah never allowed Russell to understand when his Son had returned. How faithful or discreet could Russell have been that caused God to block him from ever being able to understand such an important event?

I also wonder why anyone (God or otherwise) would select an organization that mislead the whole world about the Second Coming of Christ for 67 years (from when Russell first started teaching 1874 to 1943 when the Society stopped teaching 1874). – See footnote on page 133 of the "Proclaimers" book.

Don Cameron CaptivesOfaConcept.com

P.S. The above assumes that Jesus did in fact return in 1914 - which I do not believe.

• cawshun
    cawshun

Are there two Proclaimer Book's? An older version and a newer version. Have they changed anything in the original book?

• Farkel
    Farkel

:Are there two Proclaimer Book's? An older version and a newer version. Have they changed anything in the original book?

No.

Farkel

• t33ap80c
    t33ap80c

Cawshuan,

I'm not aware of any new Edition of the Proclaimers book. If there is one it would be interesting to see if they revised the footnote on page 133.

Don

• AuntBee
    AuntBee

Why is the history of Christmas, birthdays, etc, literally THOUSANDS of years ago......so Crucial. (What Does the BIble Teach Book - Do Origins matter? YES!) , but the history of their own org, which is SO much more recent, can be so easily dismissed. I think it's one dirty piece of candy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit