The Morman`s are not happy

by is there help out there 33 Replies latest jw friends

• moshe
    moshe

She must be over 80- you can get by saying anything at that age- I liked it.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Google "Big Love" and this is the very first link, a sponsored link (wonder how much that cost them?):

Watch Big Love?

www.Mormon.org Learn the Truth About Mormonism Chat Live With a Mormon

They must be really desperate if they're using the Internet to save their reputations. According to FormerMormon, they are against the Internet, esp. talking to worldlies.

• FormerMormon
    FormerMormon

REbel

Mormons think that technology and many other things are brought about to further "the work". Especially years ago, it was speculated that the internet would help us spread the word. As it turned out, quite the opposite has happened. Mormons aren't against the internet per se. They are against anything that challenges the cults POV. There aren't restrictions on ISP's or internet filters like the Scientologists (so I have heard).

Damn I wish I had HBO. I heard SNL did something on the HBO/Mormon controversy last night. ANyone see it?

• rebel8
    rebel8

I think you said the people who come to my door will be able to show me the ancestry web site and can answer only limited email, but nothing else?

Yes I saw the episode. Most of it was not about the excommunication, it was about Nicki's antics.

Elders came to her house unannounced to say she hasn't tithed and what is her status. She said inactive. They asked her if she's a polygamist. She said yes, visibly upset. They said they are probably going to call her to an excommunication hearing, we'll get back to you.

Meanwhile she goes to her mom/sister and begs them on bended knee to let her in the temple to do some sort of ceremony. They did. It was with veils, then a woman knocked on a veiled door and said "Eve" (Barb) wants to come in. They let her in for 15 minutes then said time's up. Inside was a pretty room simulating Heaven I guess, she was with her mom/sister in there.

What I thought was great was her mom's thrill at Barb being able to be in there, I guess meaning they'll be together in the afterlife. Moments later Barb discloses she's prob going to be excommunicated, and Mom/Barb are palpably destraught. I felt this was really well done and gives outsiders a feel for how hurtful it really is.

She's called to the hearing and blames Nicki. They ask her 3x if she's recording it and remove her and 3rd wife's purse (3rd wife is taking notes on a tiny pad of paper, no one else from the "defense" is present) from the room just to be sure. They ask her to repent. She stands up for herself. They say she's excommunicated. She's terrified she'll be thrown into Outer Darkness.

The episode ends w/Bill staring into the dark sky, I guess a symbol of his fear of Outer Darkness.

Bill and Barb want a divorce from Nicki and 3rd wife doesn't. Barb told Nicki she's a sociopath. Bill said there is something broken inside of you that I can't fix. Nicki apparently has a daughter from her previous marriage, she's mentioned but no one sees her. Nicki contemplates returning to the compound.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

This is my favorite show on HBO atm and I'm upset it ends next week

Anyway, what's up with the elders asking her if she is wearing her "garments", were they really referring to the type of underwear she had on? Watching her in that meeting with the church elders made me remember being in a JC and I realized how lucky I am to have left that non-sense!

nj

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Meanwhile she goes to her mom/sister and begs them on bended knee to let her in the temple to do some sort of ceremony. They did. It was with veils, then a woman knocked on a veiled door and said "Eve" (Barb) wants to come in. They let her in for 15 minutes then said time's up. Inside was a pretty room simulating Heaven I guess, she was with her mom/sister in there.

That ceremony was dead on to one posted here from YouTube. I am struck again by how blatantly Joseph Smith (or Brigham Young) stole rituals from Freemasonry. If I had no cult experience, that ceremony would have been a real WTF moment. It was so out there I would have thought HBO was making it up. As it was I think it was seriously creepy. I can see why the leadership of the church would not want that broadcast.

And I thought the scene in the white room (obviously supposed to be heaven) was kinda creepy too. Who were all those people in there? Attendants? What are they supposed to do?

But yeah, rebel has it right -- the episode was really about Nicki. The ceremony was really a very small part. BTW I can't blame Bill. I'd dump Nicki too. Anyone know why that creepy guy, Nicki's first husband with her daughter, showed up? They haven't really said have they?

He said he had been unsealed from Nicki. I thought if you were sealed that binded husband and wife together for eternity and divorce was impossible. Shows how little I know about Mormons.

Chris

• FormerMormon
    FormerMormon

Temple divorce is possible, but requires authorization from the chief asshole hisself (the profit)

Rebel, I'm sorry, I see the confusion. Regular members are one thing. Missionaries are another. Regular members have internet. Missionaries are not allowed the web, except for email. There's too much truth and opportunities to face it out there. That two year forces you to turn your mind off. You hear the accusations door to door, but you are NOT allowed to read any of the relavent information. As a missionary, you can't use the internet for that. You can't look at unauthorized books, even church books (history).

I haven't seen this. It would be highly disturbing for any member to help another sneak in without a valid recommend. That part is unbelievable, and not well scripted. --This goes doubly so when in an antigonistic relationship with a full throttle robot like Cindy. A believing robot would think they were corrupting the holy of holies, and that the spirit would tell some temple worker "Barb isn't worthy and doesn't belong here"(supposed revelation and all). I have never heard of a 15 minute limitation in the Celestial room.

Church records indicate when someone is baptized, ordained, offices held, when someone is endowed and get their magic jesus jammies, etc If Barb never went thru the RIGHT and authorized hoops to get her magic underwear, then how would they think to ask her about wearing her garments? As far as the excommunicating leaders knew, she had never got her garments. Why would they ask about that if they thought she had never recieved them??

The chat on exmo websites otherwise indicates it was very accurate

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

FM - do they really issue "special undies"? That's just sick!

nj

• rebel8
    rebel8

Sometimes when I post here I'm in too much of a hurry and can't fit everything in......

What I liked the most is how Barb's mother said something like, "It wasn't long ago we were promising to disembowel traitors,"...it was a great expose' ...@ that moment I thought.....maybe that's Tom Hanks' revenge......good for him.

Like BT said, definitely would have thought HBO was making it up if we didn't have previous knowledge.

FM-I'm really surprised missionaries have different rules. Wow.

valid recommend-this is the term Barb used-she begged her mom/sister to give her one so she could get in. While in the special room, the sister said she thought Barb was leaving Bill and that's why they were there.....or something like that.

I thought Barb was a mainstream Mormon with all the things that go with that, until she "became inactive" in recent years. That seems to be what the show implies about Barb's character.

• lrkr
    lrkr

When talking about the letter that the church bought from Alby and the ensuing difficulties for the family, Bill made a comment like- The church doesn't want this to turn into another ____ _____ affair (I cant remember the name he used). Is that a reference to a real Mormon scandal over old church documents? I hear that they have these type of scandals often. Apparently, there are a lot of wild letters floating around that are quite embarrasing and the Mormon church has gotten into trouble before and even been blackmailed to avoid the release of them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit