Can I be JW in good standing and worldly person at the same time?

by asilentone 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• asilentone
  • WTWizard
    WTWizard

No. If you are a worldly person, you will need to be progressing toward becoming a witless, or they will not let you stay in good standing. Many do study endlessly, but they are not generally viewed as good associations after a time with no progress. Eventually, they will expect you at all the boasting sessions, the Theocraptic Misery "School(??)", and then out in field circus. Meanwhile, you will have to quit smoking (if you smoke) quit your church (even if you are not currently active), bust up with any sexual relationships except with a legally married spouse of the opposite sex (no gay marriages in the witless religion), and throw away everything of sentimental value. Fail, and they will start looking down on you.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

At the risk of sounding like Bill Clinton, define "good standing". If you mean someone who is not disassociated or disfellowshipped, i.e. someone the average Witness is "allowed" to associate with, than yeah I would think so. Depending on the individual Witness in question.

For example, Nina and I left the Witnesses without any action being taken against us. Technically our Witness friends can, and occasionally still do, hang out with us. Now I'm sure there are all sorts of labels they place on us -- weak, inactive, fallen away, etc. So by that standard we are not in good standing.

How that's for a circular answer?

Chris

• chickpea
    chickpea

hello? they call it a double life!!

millions now associated are pulling it off!

case in point: the elder/BS study conductor
    was constantly haranguing my son to get
    baptized, while still a teen! this joker went
    on and on about how his dad, a former elder,
    had been such an encouragement to HIM to
    take the blue pill as a teen and he was forever
    grateful for his dad's spiritual leadership....

all the while my son knowing this "spiritual"
    man was secretly puffing on ciggies, as he
    had seen him, in spite of efforts to be undiscovered...
    even approached my son and said: this can be our
    little secret.....

my son replied: i dont really care what you do...
    it is all a crock of sh!t, anyway.....

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Why not? Most live a double-life anyway and get away with it.

• megaflower
    megaflower

I believe many do live double lives and are "allowed" to get away with it. Why is that? Because they are part of a family that has much infulence. Perhaps there are many pioneers in the family as well as elders who have positions of oversight i.e. PO or on some committe. I have seen it many times. They look the other way when you can connections.

• tonyhag
    tonyhag

One of the reason I left was becasue of the double standards of one family who were part of a larger family group that consisted of several elders etc and thus their kids got up to all sorts and whn my daughter shopped them they called her a liar.

• asilentone
    asilentone

Welcome to the board, Tonyhag, I have seen that too before.

• XxJazzxX
    XxJazzxX

Would associating with "worldly" family members count as a double life? My wife and her family talk and hang out with family members that arent JWs all the time.

• XxJazzxX
    XxJazzxX

oh yea, and my wife's family are just average, active JWs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit