For those of you who do not know, you might find it interesting.

by Truth and Justice 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Truth and Justice
    Truth and Justice

Hi to all on Forum,

I want to set the stage first:

It was in the mid-to late 70's, I woke up one morning to a gloomy day, because the weather was expected to be very snowy. I got up quite excited, but nervous. The reason being was that I was going to be Baptized at the Circut Assembly. Once the trip there was done, we got out and walked inside. As many of you are familiar with this routine, it was that all persons being baptized were to sit in the first 5 or 6 rows that morning, because when the baptism talk was given, the speaker would be looking at you mostly. So there I was, the speaker gets done with talk and he ask those individuals to please stand so he could ask you the 2 questions that you would answer in a "robotic" way the word "Yes". These were the Questions:

These were the questions of 1950's and 1960's:

1. Have you recognized yourself before Jehovah God as a sinner who needs salvation, and have you acknowledged to him that this salvation proceeds from him, the Father, through his Son Jesus Christ?

2. On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Jesus Christ and through the Bible under the enlightening power of the holy spirit?

Then in the 1970's:

1. Have you repented of your sins and turned around, recognizing yourself before Jehovah God as a condemned sinner who needs salvation, and have you acknowledged to him that this salvation proceeds from him, the Father, through his Son Jesus Christ?

2. On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Jesus Christ and through the Bible under the enlightening power of the holy spirit?

Then in the 1980's:

1. On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

2. Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spiriit-directed organization?

My personal thoughts:

Do any of you see what I am driving at? Did you notice the change in questions? Those last questions really disgust me, because when I got baptized, I truly dedicated myself to the Supreme one, (Jehovah). Though I am out of the organization or club, I still dedicate myself to him and only him. Being baptized does not mean that I'm not going to sin any more. I still will sin. In no way would I want to discourage any individual from being baptized because of what I brought up, this is only your choice. The 80 questions are senseless in my opinion, because if you believe in your Heavenly Father and in Jesus Christ, what more do you need? It is what is in your heart that matters. So when you stand up to answer those 2 questions, think about those vows. When a person says "Yes" to those questions, what it implies is that you agree to adhere to any of JW doctorine, comply with the rules and procedures to the JW religion, and whatever they deem to be necessary. 1 Cor. 1:13-15.

So anyway, these are my thoughts and now I will find another subject for next time. Good Evening to all!

Sincerely, Truth and Justice May Happy Trails come your way!!

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

The WT does not baptize people so they can worship Jehovah. They baptize people to worship them. Their followers treat the organization the way that most Christians treat God. They listen to every request and do it without questioning, even if it seems confusing or downright wrong. They believe that their salvation can come only through the WT. And they believe that if they ever leave the WT, they have left God.

It looks to me like the WT is a false Christ.

• mostlydead
    mostlydead

Wow...as usual, they've sucked 99% of anything personal and meaningful out of the event. This sounds more like you're entering into a legal and binding contract with JW's than making a dedication to God.

• Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles

YOU are right on! the bible says to work out our own salvation. Phil 2:12.

What do you think of this for a reason to get baptized, written by Rutherford, Jehovah.

If you believe that the League of Nation, United Nations is Satans Organization and the Jehovah Witnesses are God's spirit ran organization you are ready for baptism.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

When you try to leave the WTS and you say to relatives "why should I be punished for leaving?" they almost always reply, "well, when you join a club you agree to abide to their rules..."

Any genuine Christian would be disgusted that their repentance of sins and acceptance of Christ's sacrifice would be used to hold them to the transient doctrines of men, would be used to punish them for disagreeing with such doctrines.

But the baptism questions are set up so that you audibly sign your name to become part of a club and are therefore legally bound by the rules of that club.

Salvation and life have nothing to do with it.

• dutchstef
    dutchstef

Hello my name is Stefan I'm new on this forum and from Holland. So if my english is poor sometimes I apologize..

I got babtised in 1987 when I was 12 years old and I renember that before you were babtised you had to study a book and then review it in three times with three diferent elders and with the last review I had a discusion whit that elder about that last question asked.

" Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spiriit-directed organization?"

I asked him why it was not enough to dedicate yourself to Jehovah? And what if the Watchtower and tract org. would no longer be the GB?
    The elder was very shocked by that question and told me that this was impossible, then I replied that Jehovah probably also did not expect Adam and Eve to sin and that also happened so anything is possible.

Eventualy I got babtised anyway, because I was stil young and naive and thought if almost anything is right this wil be okay too.

But later on I heard from my father, who was an elder too, that the three elders doubted because of this question I asked, wether they should advise me to wait a few years or not to get babtised..

• Truth and Justice
    Truth and Justice

Hi Mostlydead,

Greetings! It doesn't sound like your dead at all, you certainly have a clear understanding of the matter.

Sincerely, T and T

• Truth and Justice
    Truth and Justice

Hi Sarah,

I looked up scripture, forgot about that one. Excellent thought!

Sincerely, T and T

• Truth and Justice
    Truth and Justice

Hi Mrs. Fiorini,

Greetings! You make a very good point.

Sincrely, T and T

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

Wow Dutch, you were a smart kid at 12. What a great question to ask.

I got dunked at 11, and just parroted whatever the elders said. I didn't start asking the real questions until my 30's.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit