To Newbies--Please read

by rebel8 20 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
    rebel8

Welcome! You've found the courage to visit this forum, or maybe you happened across us, or maybe you're just here to complain about us. Let me save you some time-think of this as your automated telephone response....you know, press 1 to reach customer service....

If you're a JW or ex-JW who is afraid of apostates but just wants some info.....

* Stick around, lurking is fine if you need to

* We are not demon-possessed (well at least I'm not.....minimus may be)

* Apostasy is not contagious (even though WTS called it rabies at one time)

* Make your own decisions about what to believe

* The WTS recommends verifying its teachings

* We do not have an "agenda"--we are just on an Internet forum like you are--nothing more, nothing less

* Check out the "best of" folder.....more than you could dream of is in there....then go do your own research and verify it for yourself

If you're an ex-JW who wants info on the UN scandal, blood, child molestation, doctrinal flip flops, Armageddon predictions, Miracle Wheat, anything of that ilk......

* Search old threads on this forum-you will be AMAZED

If you're thinking of starting a thread about JWs and Freemasons....

* Don't

* Please don't

If you want a great laugh.....

* Ex-JWs are known for their great sense of humor

* Check out threads started by a poster badboy-they are the best humor you've ever heard

* Also highly suggested is posts by Mary when she is talking about WTS teachings

* Check out the hilarious Apostate Dictionary

If you're angry/think you can "save" people here by ranting, preaching, or scolding......

* Yeah, good luck with that

* Ask yourself what your motive in doing so in a forum full of people harmed by the JW religion--what inside of you leads you to do this

If you're an American who wants to sue the WTS....

* It's almost impossible

* Search old threads on this forum for info

If you're thinking of suicide....

* You're not alone

* You need to seek professional help right now-call a crisis hotline, see your family doctor, or visit your Employee Assistance Program ASAP

* An Internet forum is a poor place to meet your needs

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Good advice!

• rebel8
  • AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I'll second that! Well done...

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I second that entire motion.

Now that Newbies can register again, I hope many do.

If you register - just understand a couple of important things.

• Internet forums last a long time in cyber-space.
    • Anonymity is easy to maintain - just watch what you post. The similarities of events and situations among former Jw's is amazingly similar. You can speak your mind, just vary a detail here or there, or leave out information that could connect you.

Join in - rant, rave, cry if you need to. You will find many hearing ears and kind souls here. And we all understand. We have been there. Done that.

ON the other hand, just hang around and observe. You will get addicted. Look forward to meeting you.

Jeff

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Bravo and well-said, Rebel!

Oh, and... to all!!! (good heavens with all these newbies and all this welcoming waving, MAN oh man is my arm getting tired!)

Love,
    Baba

• SuspiciousMinds
    SuspiciousMinds

rebel8 - Thanks for your welcome and your advice / suggestions.

AK-Jeff - Thanks for the tip about maintaining anonymity. I am still in, so I need to be careful about what I reveal.

I have spent several hours here since last summer. I've learned lots about the WatchTower, and I've gotten to know lots of you through your stories and comments.

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

Rebs.

Thanks for a concise user guide to the forum.

Good post.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I'll drink to that!!

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Well done Rebel8.

I love the advice here. It should be heeded even by some old timers on the forum.

HappyDad

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit