Hello! I am no longer a Lurker!

by VIII 32 Replies latest jw friends

• VIII
    VIII

Hello! I have been reading the board for months and have been waiting to join! Thanks for allowing new members.

I was a JW. All of my family on my maternal side still is. My paternal side never was save for a few who went to the meetings on and off. I was baptized as a young teen (13, like many here) and faded in my late teens. Again, like many of the stories I have read here.

For some reason I can't quite put my finger on my JW family still will speak to me and e-mails me regularly.

Overall I have had very similar experiences to many, if not most people here. I grew up in the time when Armageddon was going to happen in 1975 so I was prepared for the Great Tribulation to start and Paradise to begin soon after I was baptized. When it didn't happen I was relieved on one hand but greatly disappointed on the other. (I really wanted to pet a lion~LOL!)

I have come to a basic understanding with my Mother; we have agreed to not discuss religion. I do save her e-mails in a file for the future, just in case she ever decides to leave them.

This religion has caused numerous problems for my family. The shunning, the distrust, the complete nuttiness it seems to bring out in people just has to be experienced to be believed. That is where boards like this are important. Unless you have lived through it and continue to experience it, you just can't understand it.

Thanks again for opening up registration!

• still_in74
    still_in74

welcome to the board,

you have a PM

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Welcome to the board, VIII! You said it. Who else can relate to what we grew up with? This is the place to be.

• four candles
    four candles

Welcome VIII ,good to see lots of new ones joining up again.

• only me
    only me

Welcome!

• VIII
    VIII

Thanks for the Welcomes!

Every time I speak with my aunts, cousins or Mom, JW stuff comes up. I can't escape it. Yet, with *worldly* people, religion never, ever comes up in standard, everyday conversation. That is the weird thing about Jdubs which I can't escape. When I see caller ID and see one of their phone numbers I sigh and do a mental dance of "do I answer it or don't I? What Great Trib story am I going to hear today?"

Then I am happy that talk to me. Then I regret that they do. It is driving me crazy.

And I have been out for 20 years.

Sigh

• SuspiciousMinds
    SuspiciousMinds

Welcome, fellow lurker! I too just joined after reading for several months.

Faded in your late teens? I envy you - I was climbing the theocratic ladder in my late teens.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

Welcome to the board!

• mouthy
    mouthy

welcome to the board, Enjoy Freedom

• wizardca
    wizardca

VIII - I do that same mental dance of "do I or don't I answer" except it's when I need to call certain family members. It's a "how am I going to be guilted this time" dance. It could be seeing family in a paradise farse or go to the sales meetings or the end is almost here! Fun times. And people wonder why we don't call or can be hard to find. :) Welcome to the Boards.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit