Please tell me this is possible.....if it IS possible...

by lavendar 18 Replies latest jw friends

• lavendar
    lavendar

I am interested in emailing a JW relative some info regarding the WTS (false prophesies, doctrinal flip-flops, UN involvement, child abuse lawsuits, etc. etc.). But, I want to do this ANONYMOUSLY. If one were to open a new email account with ...let's say...Hotmail.com, and when registering, use bogus personal information.

My question is..would that relative (who is very computer savvy) still be able to trace it to ME, even though it's a completely different email provider and bogus personal information?? Is there something about my IP address that one could trace back to me?? I would be very grateful for any help.....as this is something that I would LOVE to do.

Lavendar

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

Ummm.... why don't you email it to someone that person wouldn't know and have them cut the content out of your email, paste it into an email of their own and mail it to your relative. No way to trace it then unless that person talks. ;)

Jackie

• lavendar
    lavendar

Hey, good idea, TheSilence! I'd still like to know if MY sending the emails would work, too. :o)

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

No, they couldn't if you did it right.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

That I don't have an answer for. Sorry, some computer questions I can answer, some I can not... this falls into can not ;)

Jackie

• lavendar
    lavendar

mkr32208 - how would I "do it right"?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

No. They cannot. Creating a fake email account like you described would work. To be even more paranoid , send the email from a public library computer. If you are REALLY paranoid make sure there are no video cameras in the library.

There are only two ways it could be traced back to you:

1. You write in a style or reference things about your family that they would recognize. Don't use any phrases or any figure of speech you have ever used. Don't pose any argument (not the fighting kind, but the intellectual kind) you have ever posed to them before. (This is how they finally busted the Una-Bomber... his brother recognized his writing style)
    2. In the use of the email you commit a crime that gives law enforcement enough cause to get a search warrant or subpoena from a judge that will allow them to compel the email provider to release your IP address or any other such things.

Not that I'm making a recommendation, but gmail.com is very good at keeping things private.

• lavendar
    lavendar

Thank you, Elsewhere! So, there's no way a person can obtain another person's IP address from an email?

• loosie
    loosie

I will email it for you. Just pm me the address and what you want sent. I have over 10 email addresses. So I can be anonymous over 10 times.

• lavendar
    lavendar

Thanks again, Elsewhere! I really appreciate the info!! Yes, you bet I'm paranoid! If my relative were to ever find out it was ME sending the emails, I'd be toast!

lavendar

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit