untitled

by purplesofa 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I was raised Catholic.

The Immaculate Conception of Christ defied all logic to me, even as a child. It seems to me, Christianity has borrowed something from the pagans.

I am reading God Against the Gods by Johnathan Kirsh~The History of the War Between Monotheism and Polytheism

An exerpt I found interesting from the book......page 158 par 1 and 2

Of Course, the Christian belief that God begat a son by causing a woman to conceive was a notion that their fellow monotheists-the Jews-found alien and offensive. Jewish theology held that God might endow a man or woman with the power of prophecy or appoint a king or conqueror to perform wondorous feats as a messiah or "annoted one," but eh simply did not sire children, whether mortal or devine.

Ironically, the same idea was perfectly plausible to the pagans whom the Christians sought to convert to monotheism. Indeed, it is a commonplace in myth and legend of paganism-gods were both willing and able to impregnate mortal women, according to the pagan way of thinking, although mortal men were believed to be incapable of doing the same with a goddess. Thus, as one of the countless examples, Alexander the Great was reputed to be the flesh and blood offspring of Zues-Amon, who was said to have conveniently manifested himself in the form of a snake and engaged in sexual intercourse with Alexander's mother, much to the shock and distress of Alexander's human father.

As Christianity forged ahead, doing away with polytheism, it would not be hard for pagans to accept that God was Jesus father, born of Mary. It was already a teaching that was accepted by them.

I don't know, what say you? It seems to add fuel to the fire for me that bible stories are just stories, but I knew that, this was just interesting.

purps

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

sorry, bout not having a title, I forgot!!!!!!

• John Doe
    John Doe

Are you still spiritual purps?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Purps..Your absolutely right..People from ancient times believed the gods could get a woman pregnant..That idea was around,long before Christianity showed up..

Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I am still on my spiritual journey.

I wish I could have a clean slate, but I have almost 50 years of Christianity teachings and bible in me.

I think the God of the bible is man made, that it is a book written, like a script that those that follow it

are mindlessly acting out.

I believe there was creation of some sorts, with a whole lot of evolvement going on. I think the most of mankind is in a collective non-thinking mode, as I feel like I am trying to leave just that place myself.

I am trying to get to the same fundamental good things that is taught in the bible without using the bible or religion.

Ok, I am rambling, I am not a fan of any kind of religion right now, but I respect those that use it. I have no alternative for them.

My only wish is that all the superstition will be wiped away and what remains is true for always.

When I hear people refer to something religious, I think to myself, I remember when I used to think that way.

purps

• John Doe
    John Doe

You ever hear someone talk about their religion and feel just a least bit jealous in that you wish things were so simple?

• oompa
    oompa

i will never respond to an untitled topic...not even purps...aww crap.......

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

No, I don't feel that way at all JD.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Well you know, maybe it was frottage....

Isaac

• John Doe
    John Doe
    I am trying to get to the same fundamental good things that is taught in the bible without using the bible or religion

Like? The golden rule?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit