Birthdays, ISOCF

by compound complex 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Beta Male
    Beta Male

i dont remember. did the star lead them to jerusalem first?

• sacolton
    sacolton

No, the star didn't lead them anywhere directly ... except east. They just thought that the Jewish Messiah King would be in Jerusalem.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Some people seem to defend the celebration of birth , as different from the anniversary of the birth..But I can see the inconsistency although it never struck me as a Dub..Why is it a sin to celebrate years 1,2,3 and onward, but a "happifying " thing to celebrate year zero?

Since there is no Biblical evidence that holds up to scrutiny our reasoning is as good as theirs..

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I'll drink to that...

• steve2
    steve2

But JWs DO celebrate "birthdays"! They celebrate wedding anniversaries which are in effect birthdays of marriages. AND 1st century Christians had no notion of celebrating wedding anniversaries. All the usual additional arguments against birthdays (e.g., glorifying the individual, needing a dspecial ay to give gifts and show love etc) apply to wedding anniversaries.

So much for consistency of beliefs.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Birthdays should absolutely be a conscience matter. As Ray Franz noted, if the bible does not condemn things PER SE then there should be liberty to according to one's conscience. This goes for anything not overtly condemned in scripture (eg, smoking also). The Watchtower are indeed presuming to know God's mind on such matters.

But in my opinion the Watchtower is very insightful and correct to say that the star that guided the magi was not of God. It's inconceivable it was from God given that scripture condemns magic and astrology. I think the Watchtower deserves credit for that instead of going along with the traditional, sentimental view held by broader Christendom.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit