who do you know died because of blood issue?

by target 11 Replies latest watchtower medical

• target
    target

I just can't believe that I underwent major surgery twice and signed papers that I would not take blood. I shudder to think what would have happened had my only child faced such a situation. I'm amazed at my past stupidity.
    I knew a young sister who lost her new husband when he needed blood after a car accident. Another young brother was in a motorcycle accident and died from blood loss. A husband and father also in a motorcycle accident died when he would not take blood. His wife stood before the judge with her Bible arguing for his right to refuse blood and then when he died, she was couldn't handle it and fell apart.
    A young sister 15 years old died because she needed a heart/lung transplant. They said they could do the heart transplant without blood but not the lung.
    All these lives could have been saved if they had agreed to using blood. They were all people I knew. What a shame.

Target

• nelly136
    nelly136

young bloke, died of a nosebleed because no factor 8 allowed back then
    left two little girls and a wife.

a 16 year old boy who died after an adenoid operation, his sister went away for a while after that married a non jw and came back, complications arose with the birth of her twins and they needed blood but she wouldnt allow it they died, she died shortly after,

nelly

• target
    target

Nelly:

I suppose the JWs all talked about how wonderful it was that they were that faithful "even unto death".

I knew another family, the sister was giving birth to her 7th child and died from blood loss leaving six children motherless. The newborn was adopted by another JW family. After that, the entire family left the truth. Had they done that earlier, the mother would still be alive.
    It is sickening to think about.

Target

• FideiDefensor
    FideiDefensor

I suppose the JWs all talked about how wonderful it was that they were that faithful "even unto death".

Not really faithful to Jehovah but faithful to an organization. Jw's seem to take death from a lack of blood therapy so lightly. Either life is sacred or it isn't. Even if we assume to abstain from blood means no blood transfusions then why not err on the side of mercy instead of sacrifice? The following may help to illustrate this:

(Mat 12:1 NRSV) At that time Jesus went through the grainfields on the sabbath; his disciples were hungry, and they began to pluck heads of grain and to eat.

(Mat 12:2 NRSV) When the Pharisees saw it, they said to him, "Look, your disciples are doing what is not lawful to do on the sabbath."

(Mat 12:3 NRSV) He said to them, "Have you not read what David did when he and his companions were hungry?

(Mat 12:4 NRSV) He entered the house of God and ate the bread of the Presence, which it was not lawful for him or his companions to eat, but only for the priests.

(Mat 12:5 NRSV) Or have you not read in the law that on the sabbath the priests in the temple break the sabbath and yet are guiltless?

(Mat 12:6 NRSV) I tell you, something greater than the temple is here.

(Mat 12:7 NRSV) But if you had known what this means, 'I desire mercy and not sacrifice,' you would not have condemned the guiltless.

(Mat 12:8 NRSV) For the Son of Man is lord of the sabbath."

Jesus demonstrates how even tho it was wrong for David and his compainions to eat the bread of the Presence they were guiltless because they were hungry. If Jehovah desires mercy and not sacrifice then why not show mercy on those in need of blood if it could save their lives? Besides,Jw's don't follow the bible anyway since blood is supposed to be poured out onto the ground and covered with dust. By taking any part of blood goes against this scripture:

(Lev 17:13 KJV) And whatsoever man there be of the children of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn among you, which hunteth and catcheth any beast or fowl that may be eaten; he shall even pour out the blood thereof, and cover it with dust.

• Mulan
    Mulan

In 1977, my brother's wife died, after an emergency hysterectomy. She had given birth, in the emergency room, to a stillborn baby, their third child, and only son. The doctors had used forceps to extract the baby, and they ruptured the uterine artery. She bled profusely and they had to operate to stop it. They said she HAD to have blood, but of course we all stood by my Elder brother, who refused it. She died that night, and left him and two teenage daughters. He is still bitter to this day, but didn't leave the organization until about two years later. None of them are JW's anymore. The eldest girl, who is now 39 said a month ago, that if we hadn't all been JW's they would still have a mother. It was the greatest tragedy in our life.

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)

• ballistic
    ballistic

My father was hit by a hit and run driver and died later in hospital after massive blood loss and no transfusion. This was widely publicised in the papers. Although he may not have survived anyway, this still plays on my mind and will probably hunt down and kill certain people if the rules are changed on blood transfusions.

• ballistic
    ballistic

p.s. I was 13 at the time and accepted it as part of being faithfull, and felt like he had died for the cause.
    I find myself later in life still refusing transfusions. Out of love for God? No - because the society taught me they are discusting, dirty germ carrying practices. The problem with these teachings and others like it is that they water down the reason for not taking transfusions i.e. sanctity of life / displeasing God with medical statistics and pseudo-science. In the end, you're not sure why you don't take blood, or have pre-marital sex, or whatever.

• FideiDefensor
    FideiDefensor

We probably will never know how many have died from following the Org's teaching on vaccines, organ transplants and blood transfusions. It could be in the thousands. The WTS likes to point to the Catholic church and the deaths it has been responsible for. The problem is the Catholic church has been around for almost 2000 years so has had a lot of years to screw up. It would be impossible to guess how many deaths the WTS would be responsible for if it had been around as long as the Catholic church has. The WTS is responsible for many deaths in a fairly short time. Stretch that to 2000 years and it could be an incredible amount. All in the name of Jehovah.

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

I, too, cannot believe that I once followed such a stupid rule. I knew a sister who died from complications with her pregnancy and left 3 children and a husband behind. I almost lost my sister, Think41self, after the birth of her second child. She began bleeding badly and the doctors wanted to give her blood; her elder husband, my JW mom and assorted other JW family members were so thrilled with her refusal to accept it. It was touch and go for a week or so but she pulled thru, thank whatever divine power you believe in. I can't bear to think how I would feel now if she had been one of the casualties of that damned policy.

Dana

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end...
    Closing Time, Semisonic

• ballistic
    ballistic

there were more than my story in my congregation, I would be supprised if there was not at least one story in every congregation world wide.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit