Wii fit

by John Doe 18 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe

Well, call me an effiminate girly man, but I bought a Wii and a Wii fit this week. Anyone else have one?

I must say after firing this program up that it looks pretty impressive. I don't think it could be made any easier to keep track of your exercise times and weights and goals. There's a few basic games, and evidently, the better you do and the more you use it, the more games you get to play. Quite an ingenious piece of marketing.

Thoughts?

jd

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I have an Xbox (the original one), along with a disc of vintage 1980s video games. You have to do well (above certain cutoff scores) on certain games in order to unlock other games on the same disc.

• fern
    fern

John Doe,

I don't think it's girly at all! My husband bought the Wii for his kids for Christmas and just recently got the Wii fit. We have yet to use it but he's looking forward to putting us both on an exercise regiment. I have only done the bowling game and it is really realistic and fun.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I have a Playstaion 2 I find most of the games too complex.....Playstaion 3 scares me!

• ninja
    ninja

I'm waiting for "wii couch potato" to come out

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Good one Ninja! I'm waiting for the Wii "vertual reality sex game" coming out in 2015

• free2think
    free2think

LOL @ Ninja.

I really want a Wii and Wii fit.

• Priest73
    Priest73

Wii fit is fun John. I have on too. I should give you my mi address. that way our mi's could gang up on beks! (that's a joke beks.)

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

A good friend of mine (who has been of help to me some since leaving the dubs) is also a preacher and a professional trainer. He sends out a newsletter every few weeks for his personal training cliens.... back in February he sent the following about the Wii (see at end)

Of course, he has a biased, vested interest in this...but is it true? I dont have any games other than what is on the net.

Snakes ()

Can You Game Yourself Thin?

There's nothing worse than getting ripped off.

To invest your hard earned money on a product that promises results that aren't delivered.

That's how millions of new Wii Fit owners are feeling right now, and I don't blame them.

The Wii Fit is marketed as the latest and greatest way to lose weight and be fit. The specialized Nintendo is supposed to do the job of your gym, your treadmill and even your personal trainer.

That's a lot of pressure for a video game.

With all the buzz surrounding the Wii Fit, I decided that some research was in order. What is this Wii Fit, and how is it qualified to get you into the best shape of your life?

The Wii uses television and a wireless "balance board" that is about two feet wide and half as deep. The board is basically a fancy scale, which measures your weight and detects your equilibrium. To play Wii Fit, you stand on the board and do a series of games that fall into one of four categories: aerobics, balance, strength, and yoga.

My research did turn up some cases of documented weight loss as a result of Wii Fit play time. In each case the person went from a sedentary lifestyle (basically a couch potato) and saw weight loss after doing the Wii Fit for 30-60 minutes per day.

Walking for 30-60 minutes per day will give the same results.

To really understand the purpose of this product I did a search on Shigeru Miyamoto, he's the creator of the Wii Fit.

What he said may shock you.

"I don't think Wii Fit's purpose is to make you fit; what it's actually aiming to do is make you aware of your body," he said. "That's why we wanted people to talk with their families about Wii Fit, and become aware of these things together as a group."

The purpose of the Wii Fit is not to make you fit?!

But what about the marketing pieces that are telling you to use the Wii Fit as your one-stop shop for fitness and weight loss?

What about the people who purchased a Wii Fit with the hopes of losing 30 lbs?

It's time to call the Wii Fit what it really is: a video game...entertainment, and that's it.

Don't get me wrong, the Wii Fit is a fun, interactive game that gets you to burn more calories than you would just sitting on the couch. People enjoy playing it with their kids and it sure beats lounging on the couch watching T.V.

But it's just like the creator of the product said; it's not intended to make you fit. Sure, it may be marketed that way but that's not what it's for and that's not what it does.

Don't sell yourself on the idea that a video game will get you into great shape.

Play the Wii Fit. Enjoy the Wii Fit. Burn a few calories with the Wii Fit.
  • WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

I guess you buy it and either "Wii fit" when we stand on the board or "Wii dont fit" in which case you need to get your fat ass out there and start walking.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit