Its All About Them Until We Remember Our First Name

by AllTimeJeff 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

This is why I wrote what I did, because I see how we don't matter. I hope all here know that they do matter. :-)

Sass, those elders, as you well know, have earned the title "ASSHOLES".

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

Jeff,

Very interesting observations.

The parallels with Star Trek are uncanny.

Do you remember the Star Trek episode (or it might have been a short series of episodes) in which Picard gave one of the Borg a name? Once Picard gave "Hugh" a name it allowed his thinking to be rewired so that he could think of himself as something other than part of the collective.

A personal NAME is what unraveled the grip of the Borg.

Just a thought. If you haven't seen the episode, it could be worthwhile to watch. In fact, if I get a chance I may dig it up and watch it.

Thanks again for all of your thought-provoking posts.

Alex

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga
    Alpaca said: Do you remember the Star Trek episode (or it might have been a short series of episodes) in which Picard gave one of the Borg a name? Once Picard gave "Hugh" a name it allowed his thinking to be rewired so that he could think of himself as something other than part of the collective.

A personal NAME is what unraveled the grip of the Borg.

Holy moly, neat stuff. And yes, very thought-provoking indeed, Jeff. Thank you.

• Borgia
    Borgia

I would even take it one step further:

At DF they strip the borther from you

At becoming a approved publisher, you are stripped of your birthday.......

Cheers

Borgia

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

This was a great thread but I don't think it got the attention it deserved.

I thought I would resurrect this post for the newbies who are struggling with their post-Dub identities.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

AllTimeJeff you have a great style of writing and I trully appreciate a post like this when it comes along.

I remember when my brain starting working again, I became very aware of "I AM_____", what I stood for, what I was about, I mentioned to the elders that this group of men, 10 000 miles away didn't have a clue what I needed spiritually, or how I felt, reasoned, loved. They knew nothing about me, yet saw fit that I follow a strict set of rules in order to stay part of their organisation, and suddenly that didn't make much sense.

You mentioned ECL 7:1 re: ointment - ointment was used as an annointing - something holy. A good name is better than being perceived as holy. The pharasees were perceived as holy, enlarging their fringes, showy displays of prayer on the street corners and yet that didn't sit well with their god. They were just white washed graves at the end of the day.

Louise

• lurk3r
    lurk3r

That's why I get so concerned sometimes about exiting JW's, because it is so easy to see the pain caused by someone who not only had their first name neglected for so long, but often times do not even have a first name relationship with themselves when they look in the mirror. It shows. (and that can be one of the biggest helps to boards like this, to help us learn and discover who we are, what we want our first name to mean to others, but more importantly, to ourselves when we have to look into the mirror.)

I read this post last night before I went to sleep. Looking over it again tonight, I feel that so a post like this is "good", or "great" really is an understatement ATJ. For myself, this is spot on and nothing short of profound. You are so right. (Thanks for the ressurection Alpaca) It has taken me so many years to come to realizations such as this , and to have a point so fine tuned and clarified truly is admirable. Hats off to you.

I also took the time to read your first post "All time Jeffs story"....and it looks like you have come a long way with "learning to identify your thoughts and feelings"...thanks for sharing this, it's quite encouraging. Sorry for your loss. Whatever did happen with your ex?

lurk3r

• besty
    besty

ATJ is too modest so i will post the link to his new Freeminds blog here

http://www.freeminds.org/blogs/all-time-jeff/

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

BTTT

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

BTTT for the newbies

Share this