Going Out in "Service"

by Farkel 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Farkel
    Farkel

Going Out in "Service"

We used the term thousands of times, but did we ever consider the term itself and what it actually meant?

But whom were we serving? There are only a few possibilities here: dubs are serving God or their fellow man or the Watchtower Corporation. Or they are serving themselves.

Serving God? How? To help God get converts? That's like a human parent saying he needs someone else to convince his kids that he loves that they are the kids that he should love.

Serving the Watchtower Corporation? Ahem! You pay all the expenses and donate all the time for your field service and the Corporation gets all the money. That's always the case, whether you get any converts or not. And if you DO get a convert, the Corporation gets even MORE money from the convert! For the lifetime of the convert! What do you get in return for all of that? You get more books to sell and more money to give to the Corporation.

Serving yourself? Don't say this isn't the case, little dubbies. If you do this "service", you get the promise that you will never die. If you don't do this "service", you are promised you will surely die at the wrathful hand of Watchtower God TM .

Guess what? Over 120+ years, EVERY dub whose time it was to die, died. Not ONE was kept alive. That only leaves living dub fools, who are also slowly dying who will never receive this promise, either. And the Watchtower Corporation STILL gets to keep all the money! And the members of the Watchtower Corporation who made up all this stuff are dying, too!

In reality, Dubs are only providing a REAL service to the Watchtower Corporation when they engage in this "service." They can't admit that, and they aren't honest enough to admit they are secretly serving themselves and trying to save their own butts from eternal destruction. Most dubs couldn't give a rat about the householders they meet in their "service" to them.

Dub1 to Dub2: "I'm going out in service today. Are you?"

Dub2: "No. Today I'm going out to help my fellow man by sharing the wonderful news of eternal life on a paradise earth."

Dub1: "What kind of shit have YOU been smoking?"

Trivia side question: Why are dubbies such big fans of Star Trek, yet they refuse to understand and apply the wisdom of the Star Trek Prime Directive?

Trivia side question #2: Why did "God's" people, the Jews, NEVER try to get even ONE convert in their thousands of years of history? God never asked them to get converts and they never volunteered to do it. The only good news here is that the Jews didn't have to sell books to get God's approval. It is true Isaiah states that they were God's "witnesses", but the rest of the Old Testament puts the word "witnesses" in the context of actual events:

Edomite (or any other typical "enemy" the Jews encountered): "Please save me and my family! I'll do anything you want! You can have my land and all my property, but please spare our lives. We mean you no harm."

Jew replies: "Witness THIS!", as he whacks off the heads of the entire family, but saves the little girl to take her out and rape her. (Leviticus 31)

Since such events were often ordered by God or by God through God's earthly representatives, such conduct would be rightly be called "Sacred Service," i.e. doing a "service" ordered by God which involves lots of head-whacking.

Sometimes dubs use the more formal term "Field Service TM " instead of just "service." It's all so military, just like when they called Congregations "companies" and they still call dubs "soldiers". They really view the "field" in "field service" as a BATTLEfield consisting of 100% enemies of God and the Watchtower Corporation - how does one "serve" an enemy?

Real Soldier: "I'm going to the battlefield today to kill as many enemies as I can."

Dub Soldier: "I'm going to the battlefield today to SERVE and HELP as many enemies as I can."

Real Soldier: "What kind of shit have YOU been smoking?"

In a real battlefield, all of your enemies wish you were dead. Oh, wait! Dubs wish all of their enemies were dead, too, so I guess they're both on the same page.

Many of the dub "enemies" in the "field" feel sorry for dubbies and wish they would turn to a caring, kinder and more productive faith. However, it is the duty of ALL dub soldiers to convince such people they are idiots for such thinking and they need to join an uncaring, kindless and totally unproductive faith or get blasted to a million pieces by God. This is affectionately known as "the Good News."

To make matters worse, dubs shamelessly lie to people while providing their "service" in the "field." Why don't they be honest like the Bible says people should be?

Householder: "thank you for stopping by, but I'm just not interested."

Dub: "you see that baby you're holding in your arms? If you don't buy these books, God is going to melt that baby's face right in front of you, and you will have to watch its eyes rot in its sockets and its bloody skin peel off its skull before God blows its guts all over your face.

Then God is going to do the same thing to YOU. Are you SURE you don't want to buy these books?"

Might scare up a few converts by trying honesty for a change. Might get you shot, too.

The Watchtower Corporation also refers to field service as "the strange work." They got that right. The Watchtower Corporation also likens dubs in field service to a host of locusts descending upon mankind. Everyone knows that a host of locusts sucks out the life and destroys everything in its path. The Watchtower Corporation got that one right, too.

A Healthy Alternative to Watchtower Field Service

Instead of dressing up in a cheap suit, dress up in old cut-off jeans and an old tee shirt. Knock on a guy's door and offer to paint his house for free. Convince him you are serious about it. If he balks, tell him he can furnish the beer if he wants. Then paint his house.

Think about it. You actually did something GOOD for someone here and if you were lucky, got to drink some beer, too. You probably made a friend for life who just might be encouraged to go out and do something unexpectedly nice for someone else. The whole thing could snowball into wonderful things for many people. Your chances for eternal life are still about zero, but the best thing is, the Watchtower Corporation didn't get a nickel out of it!

That's the way the Bible says Christian people should be.

Bible:

Good Samaritan finds a guy on the road, beaten, robbed and cold. Good Samaritan gives the guy money, clothes and tends to his wounds. Good Samaritan asks nothing from the guy, but probably made a friend for life.

Watchtower:

Dub Samaritan finds a guy on the road, beaten, robbed and cold. Dub Samaritan tells the guy there are Government agencies who might be able to help out the guy and gives the guy some books to read until the Government agency shows up to help. Dub Samaritan leaves, but first asks the guy if he wants a free home Bible study. Guy says "no." Dub Samaritan tells guy to go to hell.

I wished I would have understood all of this when I used to talk about field "service."

Farkel

• willyloman
    willyloman

Possibly the best and truest expose of JW 'Field Service' ever written!

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Anyone who has lived on the farm has an idea of what "service" is really all about. A service animal is a male used as breeding stock to produce more stock. Being a male, the kind of "service" rendered is easy to imagine. Both aspects of what the service animal does is a good illustration of JW "service" and it is a well chosen term.

• purplesofa
  • zev
    zev

Trivia side question: Why are dubbies such big fans of Star Trek, yet they refuse to understand and apply the wisdom of the Star Trek Prime Directive?

hi farkel

good question.

also, for those that don't know what the prime directive is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Directive

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

First, I never understood why God needs me to serve Him. He is supposed to be infinitely powerful, and unless He is out to usurp my time and energy and cause me stagnation and repression, He gets nothing out of me that He couldn't have done better Himself with less effort than it takes Him to repress my sex drive for that "extra service".

Yes, it was supposed to be "service to God". Now I realize that, even if we are serving the God of the Bible, it was all wrong--field circus does not do things the Bible way. Plus, I do not want to serve a God that intends for me to live a stagnant life, devoid of the things that make human life worth living, just so He can have me all to Himself.

• Farkel
    Farkel

I have decided this is to be my final new thread on this forum. Any future thoughts of mine will be posted on a blog that has been set up for me. I may make comments on other threads from time-to-time, but will start no new ones here.

Farkel

• hubert
    hubert

Farkel, when I come onto the forum, I look for the most knowledgeable and interesting posters first. You are in the top of this class. Please don't ever stop posting. We need your posts to take the monotony out of the forum and put it back on track, which is, using the writings of the Watchtower Society to prove to everyone that it is a false religion, and a cult.

I do enjoy many of the posts here, but yours are in a category that really, really, hits home. Yours is the language that we all need to hear from time to time, to keep us focused on our goal, which is to show that the Watchtower Society is nothing but a book publishing company, out to make millions (billions) from their members, and like you say, give nothing back.

Hubert

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

At the height of the Great Depression, a Congressman asked the secretary of the WTB&TS in a congressional hearing whether the Society has done any relief work for the poor souls who were hungry, who had lost their jobs, who were economically deprived in hard times, "in the sense that the Salvation Army does; they are preaching the Gospel of God, but bring some tangible results to those who are suffering from a lack of the necessities of life". In response, the Watchtower official said that "this is not the purpose of this association". Perhaps the most truest thing ever said by the Org.

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

Another idea about "Field Service" TM the BORG tried to promote was that it is a "volunteer" work...as if to elevate it to the level of real volunteer work...as if it were in some way of equal value to the work of the Salvation Army, of Habitat for Humanity.

I mean give me a frikken' break. That is just plain dishonest. But, why should that surprise anyone???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit