Are there any Anglicans/Espiscopalians on board?

by Athanasius 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

I joined the Episcopal Church. Despite being raised a JW my English schooling made it quite familar. I still like the style of service and the book of Common Prayer. Mrs Thirdson and I were married in an Episcopal Cathedral (our home church at the time) and although we don't attend the Episcopal church anymore we are friends with several Episcopalians and know a number of Episcopal priests.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Unitarians? They love and accept EVERYBODY! lol

99% of Episcopalians do, too. That's why other churches tend to hate us.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    99% of Episcopalians do, too. That's why other churches tend to hate us.

I tend to agree with this, although this wasn't the case in Pittsburgh recently. They went through quite a split, many joining the S American Anglicans....

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

There are a handful, very small minority who don't agree with the church having gay clergy. Very, very small.

• StAnn
    StAnn

After I left the JWs, went atheist for a few years. Then I became Episcopalian. Eventually became Catholic and I've come "Home to Rome" to stay. But the Episcopal Church has a lot of really good qualities.

For me in particular, I was so tired of having rules and regulations with no reason behind them whatsoever shoved down my throat, I liked the freedom of the Episcopal Church to just be.

StAnn

• I quit!
    I quit!

Top 10 Reasons to be an Episcopalian
    (from the comedian Robin Williams, who is an Episcopalian, on a recent HBO special)

10. No snake handling.

9. You can believe in dinosaurs.

8. Male and female God created them; male and female we ordain them.

7. You don't have to check your brains at the door.

6. Pew aerobics.

5. Church year is color-coded.

4. Free wine on Sunday.

3. All of the pageantry - none of the guilt.

2. You don't have to know how to swim to get baptized.

And the Number One reason to be an Episcopalian:

1. No matter what you believe, there's bound to be at least one other Episcopalian who agrees with you.

• I quit!
    I quit!

I have to admit it. I'm an Episcopalian although I have attended other churches at different times. I became an Episcopalian several years after leaving the witnesses. Some of the things I love about being Episcopalian are: You can believe in evolution. You don't have to be believe gay people are evil. You can have drink without guilt. When I first started attending there I smoke and it wasn't a big deal. I feel more a more deeply rooted Christianity there with all the church traditions yet it is open to change.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

When I first started attending Episcopal services there was a joke going around. It was that whenever four Episcopalians got together there was always a "fifth."

I also had a Roman Catholic girlfriend who attended Episcopal services with me. She liked the Episcopal Church so much that she converted. She called her new church "Catholic Lite."

My fiancee is Russian Orthodox, however, she likes Episcopal services and we are getting married in the Episcopal Church next month.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

She called her new church "Catholic Lite."

Lite on the guilt as in NO guilt, but definitely higher, more beautiful services. Andy was received into the Episcopal Church.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit