Just finished reading I'm Perfect, Your Doomed

by cawshun 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Violia
    Violia

I've read the book and while she seems like she may have had a bit of a privileged life, still it was funny and youthful. I loved the youthful take on life.

• Palimpsest
    Palimpsest

I picked it up at a used book sale recently. I read through about 75 pages within the first 90 minutes or so of having it, and then my interest faded quickly. It's too "insider" in its terminology -- even as an insider (or former insider, I guess), it was a turn-off. Her apparent goal of packing a joke into every sentence falls flat. I guess I just got annoyed with it after a while.

I thought the quotation from Janeane Garofalo on the slipcover was telling -- "Best book by an ex-Jehovah's Witness from Pawtucket I have ever read." Not exactly a ringing endorsement, and yet that's the best they got to sell it? Yikes.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I also loved the earlier chapters much more than the later ones. I kept looking for connections between Kyria's foolish decisions and cult programming but I had trouble finding them. Other than the "JWs don't prepare their kids for the real world" message, there really wasn't much responsibility placed on the Borg, and I'm sure there could have been. Then again, it wasn't really that sort of book, so I try not to criticize it for that. Too often a book review bashes an author for not writing the kind of book he or she wanted them to write, which isn't fair. It is an author's prerogative to write the book she wants and that's what Kyria did.

I read it at the beach last summer and it was a lot of fun.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit