Why I am an atheist

by Awakened at Gilead 129 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Thanks Lance,

If your channel is just about you and why you left, then i can see why you want to do that. I am sure it is a part of the healing process upon leaving the JW's.

I guess i have felt that your channel is maybe to use the bible to put doubts in JW's minds, or even to make them question the JW teachings, a bit like shazoolo's. If that is not the case, then i have got the agenda of your channel wrong. If it is to tell your story then go for it. As i have said on the second post here i wondered what you're agenda was in refering to the bible, it appeared to me that you were using the bible to argue against the JW teachings which is what i could not understand.

Paul

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Does being an atheist in some way disqualify me from discussing the Bible?

Not at all, that's not what i am saying.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead
    I cannot however understand why an atheist would want to represent an alternative scriptural view on a point.

One more comment on this statement. Remember that JWs believe they have the truth and that it comes from the Bible.

If the Bible is not clear on something, then insistence on believing it comes from an extra-biblical source.

For JWs that source is the WTS and the GB.

This is the point of my video about Rev 1:10. If there is a valid alternative interpretation to the verse that the WTS does not analyze, then the WTS interpretation is biased, as it does not contemplate all possibilities.

An example:

You are a forensic investigator. You arrive at the scene of a crime, and there are 2 spots of blood. You run the DNA for one spot, and assume that this must be the perpretrator. However, while there is another spot of blood, you don't run DNA from that sample to see if it is diferent. If you were to bring such evidence into a court of law, the defense could always point out that you failed to analyze all the evidence, and if you had, you might have come to another conclusion, or worse, the conclusion may have been amibiguous. Additionally, as an investigator, whether you personally believe that the accused is guilty or not, is totally irrelevant. You are there to present the evidence.

This is what I am doing in my videos. I make it clear that I am not advocating any particular religion or belief ssytem. I merely point out that the WTS only presents one side of the argument that supports their views, without considering all of the evidence. Whether I still believe in the Bible or not is irrelevant. I am in a unique position as a Gilead Grad (along with other Gilead grads such as AllTimeJeff) to show viewers that something is wrong with their belief system. What they do with that knowledge is up to them.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    I guess i have felt that your channel is maybe to use the bible to put doubts in JW's minds, or even to make them question the JW teachings, a bit like shazoolo's. If that is not the case, then i have got the agenda of your channel wrong. If it is to tell your story then go for it. As i have said on the second post here i wondered what you're agenda was in refering to the bible, it appeared to me that you were using the bible to argue against the JW teachings which is what i could not understand.

I'm very perplexed after reading that paragraph. Why wouldn't an ex-JW use the Bible to argue against JW teachings?

-LWT

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

I agree, LWT, his comment threw me for a loop, as if he were Reniaa, LOL!

I actually think that my channle fills a needed niche... there are plenty of Born Again antiJW channels, from both ExJWs and nonJWs, but few ExJW atheist channels (VanCoffeeChick is a notable example, though).

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Lance: An example:

You are a forensic investigator. You arrive at the scene of a crime, and there are 2 spots of blood. You run the DNA for one spot, and assume that this must be the perpretrator. However, while there is another spot of blood, you don't run DNA from that sample to see if it is diferent. If you were to bring such evidence into a court of law, the defense could always point out that you failed to analyze all the evidence, and if you had, you might have come to another conclusion, or worse, the conclusion may have been amibiguous. Additionally, as an investigator, whether you personally believe that the accused is guilty or not, is totally irrelevant. You are there to present the evidence.

This is what I am doing in my videos. I make it clear that I am not advocating any particular religion or belief ssytem. I merely point out that the WTS only presents one side of the argument that supports their views, without considering all of the evidence. Whether I still believe in the Bible or not is irrelevant. I am in a unique position as a Gilead Grad (along with other Gilead grads such as AllTimeJeff) to show viewers that something is wrong with their belief system. What they do with that knowledge is up to them.

With that example a forensic investigator is attempting to come to a conclusion, whereas what i have felt you are doing is presenting one argument against another for argument sake, when the reality is you believe they are both wrong.

LWT:I'm very perplexed after reading that paragraph. Why wouldn't an ex-JW use the Bible to argue against JW teachings?

It depends on the reasons for presenting the alternative argument, as i have mentioned.

Lance:I agree, LWT, his comment threw me for a loop, as if he were Reniaa, LOL!

Hmmm...don't know where that one has come from.

Paul

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    It depends on the reasons for presenting the alternative argument

Are you saying that they would be better off trapped in a cult than have an Atheist use the Bible to extract them?

I'm still confused.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Paul,

An atheist used scriptures and helped me out of this cult.

I am repeating the favor for my fellow JWs who may wish to exit the bOrg.

I mentioned Reniaa in jest because you seem to be questioning whether I should be doing what others have called a noble task. Are you criticizing my motives? I don't get it.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    when the reality is you believe they are both wrong

I would have no problem with presenting al alternate Biblical reality, as long as the alternate reality would get them out of the cult.

They would have the rest of their lives to determine for themselves what flavor of religion they want.

The key, in my opinion, is empowering people to think for themselves. Most will choose truth over a lie, every day.

-LWT

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

What helped my mom out of the cult?

She used a non-NWT translation with commentary. The commentary for many passages stated several differing possible interpretations for a particular text. This struck her as radically different from what she was used to in the WTS.

The point is that there are many ways to interpret Bible texts. This leads some people out of the WTS. Some people become Xians. Others become agnostics or atheists. People have the right to choose their beliefs without fear of repercussions, which does not occur in the WTS. There you MUST believe the interpretation given by the fictional FDS whether its right or wrong or may be changed in a few years.

My videos, then, serve to empower people to amke an informed choice. The choice is up to them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit