Are you afraid you will lose your job?

by WuzLovesDubs 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

Damn...this economy sucks. Its making me crazy. I work for Sams Club and being as its a part of Walmart and Walmart is almost recession proof, you wouldnt think Id be worried about my job going away. But even where I am there is a hiring freeze. They are cutting down hours to absolute minimum. Sales are not where they should be either. But the result of that is that the employees that are still there are being spread like that last teaspoon of peanut butter over a very large piece of bread and its making a lot of people unhappy and anxious and panicky. Its a 4 acre warehouse being run by about 70 people if that. Its insane. I do the clothing department, and if you ever saw a Sams clothing department its like a quarter of an acre of tables and racks and shelves of clothes and I have to keep the entire area neat, folded and "open ready" by myself....and thats during regular business hours when people are right up behind me messing up what I just did for 5-7 hours a day. Used to be two of us there. The other gal is out on maternity leave and they didnt hire anybody just gave me 8 more hours a week which certainly doesnt make up for the 25 hours a week she was there. But I feel from the whole place like people are scared...scared that this particular club wont survive.

I sure hope its temporary.

What is it like where you guys work?

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Scarry where I work too...

• recovering
    recovering

I am terrified. Three hospitals have declared bankruptsy closed . The hospital that employs me is also in financial straits. I have been looking around, but there is no other jobs (in my feild) in my local area.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Not in the least. I find it more healthful than to deal with what is rather than what might be. The only thing worrying accomplishes is shortening both your life and your happiness.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Had a scare last couple weeks. The company actually ran out of money and shut down. A couple days later someone bought the company and hired half of us back to work. It certainly was scary. I do feel a bit better now that we're running lean. It'd be hard to do any more cutting without shutting the business down completely.

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

I found out this weekend when I went in on Sunday that everyone who used to be on time and a half on Sundays no longer are scheduled to work on Sundays so the company doesnt have to pay that exhorbitant amount out every month! New hires get an extra $1 an hour on Sundays and anyone who was grandfathered into the time and a half thing that used to exist was really cleaning up on Sundays. But...the company does what it has to do and that extra money will go to hiring 5 new part time workers.

Those old timers arent happy about that cut in their pay...but it beats losing their jobs.

• Goshawk
    Goshawk

Already Happened.

• blondie
    blondie

I work for state government.........they say no layoffs, but time will tell. Of course, they cut personnel but not programs and those who are "lucky" enough to remain will have twice the work to do.

• rebel8
    rebel8

mr. rebel8 and I both have jobs that are being deleted some time this year.

NY hadn't recovered from the economic impact of 9/11 when the recent stock market issues happened. Most of our state revenue comes from the stock market, and our expenses are higher than many other states because of NYC-related costs, very high per capita elderly population, etc.

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

Wow you guys...Im sorry it has happened or will be shortly. Scares the crap outta me. I mean....hell we cant ALL be out sitting on the curb can we? The banks cant own ALL our homes can they? The banks in turn being turned into government controlled entities which own our homes... or closing altogether. I mean its like the dog who chases the cars every time they go by...what would he do with it if he CAUGHT it one day?

Ok, government, you made us lose our jobs, we lost our money, we lost our homes, we're selling off our assets to survive, glutting the unemployment lines and the food stamps lines, and standing in line for DAYS for jobs flipping burgers someplace, losing our health benefits, not able to send our kids to college, or the kids not able to find jobs after college and then not being able to repay their college loans...

Meanwhile...the CEOs of these companies who are being "bailed out" are getting MILLIONS in pay and compensation and flying around in private jets and getting millions in golden parachutes...

geeeeeez

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit