Girl Scout Cookies

by leavingwt 21 Replies latest social current

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

It's that time of year again: Girl Scout Cookies!

Sales are down 20% because of the economy, but my purchases are going strong -- six boxes. I'm sharing them with my co-workers, though.

I'm partial to the Thin Mints and the Samoas.

Do you like them? Which variety is your favorite? Did you buy them when you were a JW? I did.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I didn't know anyone who sold them when I was a jw, but I probably wouldn't have bought them even if I did. Anyway, I've made up for lost time in the 20 years I've been out. This year I bought 7 boxes, most of which went t my husband. My favorite is the Samoas.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Samoas have been renamed Caramel delites. Couldn't miss the little ones and their moms at the grocery entrance today.

My solitary choice was, of course, the above ...

CoCo Cokokies

• beksbks
    beksbks

Mmmmm Samoas..............my favorite. Thin mints are ok, they are addictive, but not my favorites. They used to do a Cinnamon cream filled thing, and a lemon that were yummsville. I hear they are making smaller packages to deal with rising costs.

The poor Boy Scouts, they have something like popcorn, or mixed nuts

• John Doe
    John Doe

I've never bought girl scout cookies. If the girls actually made the cookies like they used to, I would feel differently. However, I'm not going to pay a hugely inflated price based on cuteness extortion and mail order cookie delivery.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

JD,

Three bucks for cookies that are not available in stores. Have you tasted those shortbread cookies? It's as if they have the slightest trace of crack cocaine, cause I can't stop eating them. Bargain.

-LWT

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I buy 2 boxes a year, but I don't understand what's the purpose of these scouts?

• carla
    carla

What is the purpose of the scouts? Each troop gets to keep a certain amount from each box sold. I was a girl scout leader and with the money the girls earned they got to choose a fun outing. One year they earned enough to go horse back riding, one year a camping trip, one year the Brownie's wanted to go to a girlscout camp and learn 3 new crafts/skills and they got to use power tools! whoo, that was exciting. Or some troops use the money for summer camp, a fun filled week of activities at a Scout camp usually with a lake, boating & swimming. Brownie's only stay for the day and go home each night, the older girls stay overnight.

How times have changed! This was our pre-jw life, my jw used to help in any way possible with my troop! I imagine if it was now he would be as helpful. Assinine isn't it? he wouldn't be allowed to help out with a bunch of little girls because a few men in NY wouldn't allow it.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

Being the robot that I was at the time I didn't buy them for a very long time while an active JW. I was told it was wrong because the scouts were patriotic and religious. Then one day I overheard someone at work talking about their daughter's chapter (or whatever you call it), asked a few questions and I thought it was a really good program. From that day on I've bought cookies from the girls and the coupon sheets from the boys scouts.

JWs demonize EVERYTHING.

• chickpea
    chickpea

got my 4 boxes paid for!

thin mints and shortbread.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit