elders: oath of allegiance ?

by KAYTEE 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Of course, they are allowed to be active pedophiles.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

There's a 3rd question that is only a requirement to ask if the bro hasn't been appointed before, and that question asks if he's ever been involved with the abuse of children. I mean, as if a pedophile would answer in the affirmative anyway.

However, as an elder it troubled me that this 3rd question wasn't a requirement. Why only ask it if the bro hasn't served previously? Do they wish to protect those who've served previously and been involved in the abuse of kids?

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

If he HAS served earlier, a letter of recommendation from the earlier congregation would follow him, wouldn't it? And so if he has been removed or if there have been any dubious questions relating to him, it would be brought to the knowledge of the elders in the new congregation.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Password mentioned the 3rd question.

No oaths are taken.

To me, that whole thing is sort of a "Welcome to the club" kind of thing. How an elder is appointed is sort of a stupid process anyway. There is more paperwork involved then prayer, I can tell you that.

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

Mongolia,

No....when appointed, he is asked 2 questions: Is there anything in your past that would disqualify you now from being an elder?, and, Is there any reason we should not announce to the congregation that you are now an elder?

So long as he answers both questions "No", he is considered appointed. That's all there is to it.

THAT’S ALL !!!

That’s amazing if it turns out to be true.

The fact that the meeting would have opened in prayer, suggests to me this is an oath (let your yes mean yes) this according to the Wts before Jehovah.

This surely leaves them wide open at some future time and event!!!

Frank75,

I called them brother because I wanted to distinguish between elder and brother when making that point. It is a practice I never went along with, the reason being , it was too formal, unions use same expression even the Mafia.

KT

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

Mongolia,

"No....when appointed, he is asked 2 questions: Is there anything in your past that would disqualify you now from being an elder?, and, Is there any reason we should not announce to the congregation that you are now an elder?"

Wouldn’t it be very interesting if that were the case, to have the elders take this oath/pledge every one or two years, I wonder how many would be still standing after a period of time, assuming of course they were to come clean!!!

KT

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

That third question would make me angry if I were the candidate, I would view it as an insult..(perhaps I am wrong but , I reckon that if they had any reason to suspect such a thing they would not recommend me)

BTW, the first time I was appointed, in 1974, I had none of that questioning. They did not even ask me if I wanted to be an elder. They gave no hint of the appointment. I was just sitting in the Hall, rummaging for my songbook at the end of the meeting. All of a sudden the speaker announces that Bro BluesBrother had been appointed as an elder to serve the congregation ! It was the biggest shock of my life. Had they asked me I would have protested and not wanted to do it. But I was lumbered because they had announced it...That was my life mapped out for me for the next 24 years..

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

Bluesbrother,

Whether this is normal or not (not telling or asking if you would like to become elder) I have heard this happens.

Which might be a bit disturbing for the person involved, he may feel he cannot take on those responsibilities, he may have other commitments that take him away from fulfilling this office, he may even, unbeknown to elders have a personal problem that he might be working on privately.

In "general" how can they be sure that they are getting the right candidate when they do not discuss or ask the person.

Is this perhaps ONE of the reasons why so many elders (certainly that I have come across) do not live up to the requirements set out in the bible.

Saying;....He who wan'ts to rule over others ...must first be master of himself.

KT

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I was much more curious how there can be Watchtower lawyers, since they must take an oath to the state and bar association. Seems they would be DFed for that. Doctors often take an oath to pagan gods. So doctors and lawyers get a pass, but if you salute the flag you are toast.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

If they really know their scripture....they are probably engaging in a secret ceremony of oath.

Genesis 24: 2-3 So Abraham said to the oldest servant of his house, who ruled over all that he had, Please, put your hand under my thigh, 3 and I will make you swear by the LORD, the God of heaven and the God of the earth, that you will not take a wife for my son from the daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I dwell;

Genesis 47: 29 When the time drew near that Israel must die, he called his son Joseph and said to him, “Now if I have found favor in your sight, please put your hand under my thigh, and deal kindly and truly with me. Please do not bury me in Egypt, 30 but let me lie with my fathers; you shall carry me out of Egypt and bury me in their burial place.” And he said, “I will do as you have said.”
    31 Then he said, “Swear to me.” And he swore to him. So Israel bowed himself on the head of the bed.

Anyone who took an oath in the patriarchal age put his hand “under the thigh” of the adjurer. The biblical usage

is deliberately euphemistic so as not to offend delicate sensibilities. In ancient times, men solemnly made

oaths holding their own penis, just as modern Christians might put their hand on their heart. The “thigh” is the

penis, regarded as the most sacred part of the body, being most precious as the regenerative organ, and the

source of marital bliss. The most solemn oath of the patriarchs was to swear with their hand on a man’s penis

or testicles, and the patriarchs in the bible are often celebrated for their remarkable fecundity (Gen 46:26-27; Ex

1:5; Jg 8:30).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit