elders: oath of allegiance ?

by KAYTEE 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• KAYTEE
    KAYTEE

When a brother takes the office of eldership, does he have to give an oath of allegiance to the organisation, ...........if so what is it

KT

• yesidid
    yesidid

No

• sir82
    sir82

No....when appointed, he is asked 2 questions: Is there anything in your past that would disqualify you now from being an elder?, and, Is there any reason we should not announce to the congregation that you are now an elder?

So long as he answers both questions "No", he is considered appointed. That's all there is to it.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

How come Jehovah's Magical Spirit doesn't already kinow the answers to those two questions?

• blondie
    blondie

*** w85 6/1 p. 30 Subjecting Ourselves to Jehovah by Dedication ***

The first question is:

On

the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

The second is:

Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses in association withGod’s spirit-directed organization?

• Frank75
    Frank75

No oath, but like Mobsters, they are tested to see on which side of the line their loyalty is beforehand. If they can be deemed trustworthy in that inner circle of power they will be appointed. A body of real rotten SOB's will try to keep that atmosphere and a more liberal group will try to keep the rotten ones out. Nothing magical, more political than anything.

By the way, they aren't our "brothers"

Frank75

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Yeah no oath. And they basically ask the same two questions of ministerial servants.

• sir82
    sir82

The first question is:

On

the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

The second is:

Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses in association withGod’s spirit-directed organization?

Blondie,

Those are the baptism questions - there are different questions when someone is appointed as an elder.

Sorry for the large font, can't fix it. And the quoting function is weird too.

How come Jehovah's Magical Spirit doesn't already know the answers to those two questions?

Er..umm...let me get back to you on that....

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, I know that sir82. But I doubt that anyone would be made an elder unless that had been baptized as a jw and said those questions. I was being a little tongue in cheek, not ignorant.

• sir82
    sir82

A-ha, got it...the "oath of allegiance" is made at the time of baptism. Makes sense.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit