Did you like the name "Jehovah's Witnesses"?

by JimmyPage 29 Replies latest jw friends

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

It's a terrible name. I never once in my life remember being comfortable with it and I know other xJWs who felt the same way. What's wrong with being known as Christian? Too much emphasis on Christ?

If it was good enough for Paul, Timothy, Titus, John etc, why not good enough for Rutherford? And as Stephen said, Acts 1:8 says it all.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I think Jehovah's Witlesses is much more appropriate.

• logic
    logic

It really was a mouthfull, hard to chew. A relative of mine had his own contorted version, 'hovah jays' .

The ironic thing is that he later became one.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

How about Jovial Witlesses? The happiest people on earth.

• aniron
    aniron

Acts 11:26

and when he found him, he brought him to Antioch. So for a whole year Barnabas and Saul met with the church and taught great numbers of people. The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch.

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

BizzyBee said: "Oh, yes, I loved being a tall, skinny, shy kid in grade school, not celebrating holidays, not saluting the flag, going in field service and having the dumb-ass label, "Jehovah's Witness." What kid wouldn't be proud of that mess?"

Exactly!! Growing up in a small town and going to school with the same kids year in/year out, I had to put up with being made fun of all the time! Sittin' outside the classrooms while everybody exchanged Valentine's/birthday parties/thanksgiving/christmas/etc, the "why don't you believe this?" questions, and a whole host of other problems.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I never liked the name and I was always embarrassed to tell someone I was a JW.

W

• chellechelle
    chellechelle

children of the tower--- lol haha thats awesome.. like children of the corn

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Watchtowerites. They idolise the 'tower.

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

It was stoopid. Kids asked me, "So what did you witness? A mugging? A robbery?" For once, I was speechless. What WAS it we were supposed to be witnesses of anyway?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit